The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Full of posh people

Okay so i am very close to firming St. andrews but i need to know a few things before i do and please be honest!
is St.. Andrews full of yahs and posh people who don't associate with anyone rather than their own kind? Would a working class girl with a normal Scottish accent fit in here? Would i be looked down upon because of my class? Please be honest.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pcm1734
Okay so i am very close to firming St. andrews but i need to know a few things before i do and please be honest!
is St.. Andrews full of yahs and posh people who don't associate with anyone rather than their own kind? Would a working class girl with a normal Scottish accent fit in here? Would i be looked down upon because of my class? Please be honest.

There certainly are stereotypically 'posh' people here, but they're in the minority, and very few people discriminate based on 'class'. You'll fit in just fine, there are plenty of scottish/normal/working class people here, and they don't seem to have any problems.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
It's full of posh people who got rejected from Cambridge or Oxford. So they've probably got a bit of a chip on their shoulder.
I know many posh english people from there as well. What else did you have in mind? It is a good university btw, so don't let that alone put you off.
Reply 4
Original post by Blueray2
I know many posh english people from there as well. What else did you have in mind? It is a good university btw, so don't let that alone put you off.

I want to be assured I'm going to have friends here and not be a total outcasts because i don't wear Barbour and ****ty tweed jackets
Reply 5
Anyone with a regional accent including Scottish is going to be looked down on by the Rahs. You might be happier somewhere nicer.
Reply 6
Original post by Old_Simon
Anyone with a regional accent including Scottish is going to be looked down on by the Rahs. You might be happier somewhere nicer.

Well that sucks as i was hoping to come here, although i could always ignore those people.
Reply 7
Original post by Pcm1734
Well that sucks as i was hoping to come here, although i could always ignore those people.

Sadly that may be your choice. You will not be the only one. But please do not think it is all happy families, diversity and equality. It is not. And Rahs can and do make people feel extremely uncomfortable when they are out in large numbers and St Andrews is full of them. Most of them not very bright as well.
It is where the duffers from public school go to do History of Art.
Reply 8
Original post by Old_Simon
Sadly that may be your choice. You will not be the only one. But please do not think it is all happy families, diversity and equality. It is not. And Rahs can and do make people feel extremely uncomfortable when they are out in large numbers and St Andrews is full of them. Most of them not very bright as well.
It is where the duffers from public school go to do History of Art.

Thanks for your honesty! Are u a current student or do you just have knowledge of the place? Yeah I've heard that history of art is where they seem to end up haha! 😂
Reply 9
Original post by Pcm1734
Thanks for your honesty! Are u a current student or do you just have knowledge of the place? Yeah I've heard that history of art is where they seem to end up haha! ������

No I am not a student but I know a lot of folk who went there and I met a lot of Rahs in other fields. We do need to state that it seems to be rated very highly. But a more egalitarian environment suits some people more. It is not the only uni that is like that. Others spring to mind only too readily :wink:
But you seem to be the judgemental one here :lolwut:
Reply 11
Original post by MangoFreak
But you seem to be the judgemental one here :lolwut:

I know im coming across judgemental and in no way am i saying that posh people are not nice people! But its nice to know you will be around similar people and not feel like you are entering a different world. Its hard to draw the line between judgemental and being realistic.
Dear me, I'm not sure where alow and OldSimon are getting their information from, or whether they're just joking, but please don't take them seriously.

Yes, there are people who you would categorise as "yahs" here, but you find that at almost any "good" university. But the thing is, they're not all knobs who only talk to "people like them", they're just people who happened to have rich families.

Apart from the fact that I have a northern English accent and not Scottish, I come from a similar background to you, and I have had no problems finding friends, and never felt like I was being discriminated against by anyone.

If you haven't visited St Andrews, I suggest you do, as it's the best way to judge whether or not you will like the place enough to stay here for 4 years.
Reply 13
Original post by la_banane_verte
Dear me, I'm not sure where alow and OldSimon are getting their information from, or whether they're just joking, but please don't take them seriously.

Yes, there are people who you would categorise as "yahs" here, but you find that at almost any "good" university. But the thing is, they're not all knobs who only talk to "people like them", they're just people who happened to have rich families.

Apart from the fact that I have a northern English accent and not Scottish, I come from a similar background to you, and I have had no problems finding friends, and never felt like I was being discriminated against by anyone.

If you haven't visited St Andrews, I suggest you do, as it's the best way to judge whether or not you will like the place enough to stay here for 4 years.

Thanks thats very reasuring! Yes i have visited and love the place but this was my main concern!:smile:
Reply 14
i don't know much about st. andrews but i'd definitely advise you not to pick a uni based solely on its reputation. i went to king's college london because it was the best i'd had an offer from and ended up dropping out. just declined an offer from UCL too and i'm restarting a degree at queen mary at september. you need a balance of strong career prospects with a social life and normal people - i can't stress it enough. consider everything! best of luck
Reply 15
Original post by Pcm1734
I want to be assured I'm going to have friends here and not be a total outcasts because i don't wear Barbour and ****ty tweed jackets

You don't have to be posh to wear Barbour :lol: it's not even expensive!
Reply 16
Original post by alow
You don't have to be posh to wear Barbour :lol: it's not even expensive!

Pretty expensive for me then:smile: 👍
Reply 17
Original post by Pcm1734
Pretty expensive for me then:smile: 👍

You can get them for £100. That's not much to pay for a jacket that will last years.
Original post by Pcm1734

Can't assure you anything.
Reply 19
Go to the best university you can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending