The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7380
Original post by Cryptographic
In reply to a ridiculous suggestion.

No SNP members involved in this and every MP involved in Better Together asking questions of 3 academics they invited. Balanced you say?
Reply 7381
Original post by Cryptographic
In reply to a ridiculous suggestion. Also 'Lindsay Roy' was not an expert but a member of the public.

Nope
Original post by Boab
As for the second bit, don't care one jot. What effect will it have on this referendum? Zilch!

It'll have a lot of effect. It's one of the cornerstone policies or the YeSNP campaign.
Reply 7383
Original post by MatureStudent36
It'll have a lot of effect. It's one of the cornerstone policies or the YeSNP campaign.

If you say so. I disagree.
Majority of YES voters have no doubt that Scotland will be in the EU post-independence and those undecideds generally have no comprehension about legal advice etc
Reply 7384
Original post by Midlander
Wasn't so hard was it. Plan B is too ****e to admit in public so we have to just blindly accept the 'they're bluffing' line from the SNP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard? I've said it over and over. Go check!

And No. You're still missing the point.
Reply 7385
I'd like to know how you conclude that 52 is just less than 66?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You never answered Midlander's question MatureStudent36
Original post by Boab
Majority of YES voters have no doubt that Scotland will be in the EU post-independence and those undecideds generally have no comprehension about legal advice etc

It may be probably that Scotland will be in the EU post-independence (obviously depending on you taking your share of the debt, if not then obviously the UK will veto such membership) however the terms of such membership are unlikely to be as favorable as what the SNP states.
Reply 7387
Original post by FinalMH
It may be probably that Scotland will be in the EU post-independence (obviously depending on you taking your share of the debt, if not then obviously the UK will veto such membership) however the terms of such membership are unlikely to be as favorable as what the SNP states.

This is all open to debate. We will only know after the vote.
Original post by Boab
Only?

Very good.

Any form of a majority in Holyrood was considered impossible prior to 2011. Labour are still crying about it!

You will accept that a majority of 1 is pretty damn small wouldn't you? In fact, the smallest majority possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boab
Hard? I've said it over and over. Go check!

And No. You're still missing the point.

We all know what the *possible* alternatives would be. What I want is an admission that they all can't be that good if the SNP won't state their preferred contingency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7390
We all know what the *possible* alternatives would be. What I want is an admission that they all can't be that good if the SNP won't state their preferred contingency.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why?
You want an admission that any form of plan B in life is possibly not as preferable as a plan A?

Thats fundamentally obvious.

Don't know why you continue to talk about this. We all know the situation.

As I said 3 days ago on here.....

"I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall here. I have answered this, many times already.

Sticking with Plan A, wins votes.
Surrendering to rUK threats loses votes.

Its very simple."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7391
And here is some commentary on how its working......

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/scotland/article4046238.ece
I think all the separatists need to understand that independence is simply not going to happen. Salmond's majority in parliament is a product of an extremely poor turnout coupled with a recession putting people off the usual mains.

This isn't going to happen at the next one. On the 18th of September Salmond's wet dream is going nowhere.

I really want to go outside of Holyrood and play Rule Britannia really loud over car speakers on results day.
Original post by Snagprophet
I think all the separatists need to understand that independence is simply not going to happen. Salmond's majority in parliament is a product of an extremely poor turnout coupled with a recession putting people off the usual mains.

This isn't going to happen at the next one. On the 18th of September Salmond's wet dream is going nowhere.

I really want to go outside of Holyrood and play Rule Britannia really loud over car speakers on results day.

Legend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boab

To be fair the Yes campaign seems to be built on beliefs and not so much what the facts and people are saying panning out.

They've been told they're not getting EU membership, nor are they getting all those other perks of the UK that a sovereign independent nation should be ashamed by the absurdity to ask for, such as currency union.

Still they march on convinced it'll happen.

From most normal people's perspective this is a very clear case of delusional thinking.

Granted politicians generally seem a bit nutty but all the same doubt folk are going to be keen on voting in the psychologically compromised.
Reply 7395
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
To be fair the Yes campaign seems to be built on beliefs and not so much what the facts and people are saying panning out.

They've been told they're not getting EU membership, nor are they getting all those other perks of the UK that a sovereign independent nation should be ashamed by the absurdity to ask for, such as currency union.

Still they march on convinced it'll happen.

From most normal people's perspective this is a very clear case of delusional thinking.

Granted politicians generally seem a bit nutty but all the same doubt folk are going to be keen on voting in the psychologically compromised.

See, the thing is, people lie. Go back to 1979 and look at the lies spouted at what would happen if Scotland got its own parliament. The same lies were then spouted again in 1997 but we'd heard it all before.

Look at this headline from 2007....

Scottish+Sun+election+day+2007.jpg

We voted for the SNP, and they did swell enough that they moved from minority government to majority four years later.

People aren't scared by it anymore. We look at things with our own eyes and think, 'why would the EU not want Scotland?'.
Reply 7396
Think about this.

Very recently Alistair Carmichael took part in a debate which resulted in a 150 strong crowd voting in favour of independence 70 to 48. At the beginning of the evening, it was 58 to 57.

So the 'Secretary of State' for Scotland, in his own constituency, in Shetland of all places, in an open debate against an SNP list MSP, saw a swing of from less than 1% to a lead of over 14% after the audience had listened to both sides of the debate.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/features/scottish-independence-debate/8211-majority-favour-independence-at-althing-debate
Original post by Boab
See, the thing is, people lie. Go back to 1979 and look at the lies spouted at what would happen if Scotland got its own parliament. The same lies were then spouted again in 1997 but we'd heard it all before.

Look at this headline from 2007....

Scottish+Sun+election+day+2007.jpg

We voted for the SNP, and they did swell enough that they moved from minority government to majority four years later.

People aren't scared by it anymore. We look at things with our own eyes and think, 'why would the EU not want Scotland?'.

1. It doesn't want to use the Euro.

2. It proposes to defy EU law on tuition fees.

3. It has spent some time insulting the leaders of several member states.

3) isn't really that important however the first two may have to be dropped by Scotland if it is to get membership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7398
1. It doesn't want to use the Euro.

2. It proposes to defy EU law on tuition fees.

3. It has spent some time insulting the leaders of several member states.

3) isn't really that important however the first two may have to be dropped by Scotland if it is to get membership.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are right of course.

The Euro. People can say what they like, but we will only know when these discussions happen.

Tuition Fees? meh! Hardly the worst thing ever if Sturgeon has to back down.

In reality the biggest danger to our EU membership is the UK government taking all of us out of it!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boab
You are right of course.

The Euro. People can say what they like, but we will only know when these discussions happen.

Tuition Fees? meh! Hardly the worst thing ever if Sturgeon has to back down.

In reality the biggest danger to our EU membership is the UK government taking all of us out of it!

So nobody would have a problem with Scots having to pay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending