The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

AAAB bio,french,maths,chem in that order. UCL specified chem and Barts just said 2 sciences so basically keeping my 4th A2 and beasting the ukcat saved me
everybody's requirements seem to be different? can anyone tell me why some people's requirements are AAAB or AAAC or AAA in chemistry & biology?

It's kinda unfair considering that most people (including me) just got 'AAA in any GCE A levels taken in 2014'.
Original post by Matthew150
Yeah, except I've already firmed a different university, so it effectively means I'm off the list.
If only they'd told me there and then...

Is that for medicine or other course you firmed?
Original post by Samarpanam
Is that for medicine or other course you firmed?

A different course.
A different course.

I called them today and was said that it does not make any difference in the waiting list even if we firm it. We will be still placed in the queue.
I called them today and was said that it does not make any difference in the waiting list even if we firm it. We will be still placed in the queue.

Really?! I don't doubt you, but when I spoke to them, they definitely said that it would void me from the list, who did you speak to?

Edit: The email says we're not taken out of the queue, but that offers will only be given to those on the waiting list who haven't firmed a choice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Really?! I don't doubt you, but when I spoke to them, they definitely said that it would void me from the list, who did you speak to?

5 mins now. The lady at admissions. I was quite clearly asking as I too need to firm the ucl biomedical. Which is my only offer.
5 mins now. The lady at admissions. I was quite clearly asking as I too need to firm the ucl biomedical. Which is my only offer.

Hmm, true, but she said to me yesterday that it doesn't remove you from the waiting list, but they only make offers to those who haven't firmed offers elsewhere, which is what it says on the waiting list email.
Original post by alicia2908
everybody's requirements seem to be different? can anyone tell me why some people's requirements are AAAB or AAAC or AAA in chemistry & biology?

It's kinda unfair considering that most people (including me) just got 'AAA in any GCE A levels taken in 2014'.

I don't know if this is true but people have said the people they want more will be given lower offers so they are more likely to firm it ://///
Oh btw, any of you who are interested, I've put in a FOI request to QMUL to find out how many people got offers from the waiting list, they've got 20 days to respond, but I'll let you all know when I know.
Is it possible to find out our interview scores?
Original post by HaveFaith1
Is it possible to find out our interview scores?

They refused to tell me, but you're more than welcome to give it a shot.
Original post by jack_smith969
I don't know if this is true but people have said the people they want more will be given lower offers so they are more likely to firm it ://///

I dunno I think you're probably right, I personally found it quite unusual when I saw my offer was AAA in any subjects sat in 2014. But I'm not complaining :smile:
Original post by ojtramp
There are various opportunities for dissection at Barts, as you mentioned they are in the Student Selected Component (SSC) part of the course.

Year 1 Dissection - Limbs

Year 2 Dissection - Chest and Abdomen

Year 1/2 Summer Dissection - Head and Neck

All of these are currently optional but have enough capacity to take as many students as apply (with the exception of the head and neck SSC which is during the summer holidays and has limited places). I found it pretty useful for learning anatomy and the majority of students do it - the anatomy teaching has got much better in the last few years. Last year we had the fewest students to cadavers in the country during dissection sessions, assuming that hasn't changed.

In the preclinical years (1 & 2) you have 2 SSCs that are each a fortnight long - these can be pretty much anything. In my first year I did limb dissection and ENT Surgery, second year I did chest/abdo dissection and Prehospital Care (an extended 4 year SSC program where you go out with ambulances and HEMS* cars). There are some group work SSCs that have two hours each Wednesday morning as well.

In third year you get an afternoon off a week for SSCs, in fourth year I think you do an extended project and in final year you have return to clinical placements again.

Hope that helps!

Ollie x

* Helicopter Emergency Medical Service

Thanks, really helpful! Exactly what I wanted.

Also minor question, I saw the rugby/sport pitches are about 40 minutes drive away, are we expected to make our own way way there or is there a bus that goes down? If so, does it leave from Floyer or Dawson?
Original post by sweeny-tom
AAAB bio,french,maths,chem in that order. UCL specified chem and Barts just said 2 sciences so basically keeping my 4th A2 and beasting the ukcat saved me

You definitely deserve the offer. It requires lot of will power to come out of the situation of losing the UCL offer . Well done.
Just got my email from Barts that I'm on the waiting list because it arrived in my spam. Does anyone know what the chances of getting an offer are if you are put on the waiting list?
Reply 3576
Just put Bart's as insurance
Firmed UCL
Hope it was the right decision
Original post by Physicsrules23
Just got my email from Barts that I'm on the waiting list because it arrived in my spam. Does anyone know what the chances of getting an offer are if you are put on the waiting list?

I've made a freedom of information request earlier today regarding previous years (if any) waiting lists, and how many got offers from it, so I'll let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've made a freedom of information request earlier today regarding previous years (if any) waiting lists, and how many got offers from it, so I'll let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers. Also you know it says those only those without any offers elsewhere may get one, does that mean an accepted offer from another med school or just an holding an offer from anywhere? Because im sure 99% of people have an offer for biomed
Original post by Physicsrules23
Cheers. Also you know it says those only those without any offers elsewhere may get one, does that mean an accepted offer from another med school or just an holding an offer from anywhere? Because im sure 99% of people have an offer for biomed

From what I understand, it's any firmed offer for any course, which is what annoyed me a little, because I didn't know until 24 hours after my rejection about the waiting list, so I'd already firmed my 5th.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending