The Student Room Group

Biology Questions . help needed.

Hey , guys could you help me by answering those questions?

Fibronectins are adhesive glycoproteins, which are involved in the following processes, expect:
a) maining cell shape
b) organizing the cytoskeleton
c) cell differentiation
d) cells migration during embryogenesis
e) cell secretion

Membrane proteins consist of:
a) Extrinsic and transmembrane proteins
b) transmembrane proteins, perippheral proteins
c) superficial proteins
d) integral proteins
e) paripheral proteins
Reply 1
Don't know the first questions because you probably study a different exam board than mine but the last one is d) & e)
Original post by AlexKay99
Don't know the first questions because you probably study a different exam board than mine but the last one is d) & e)

hey thanks , but it's a one answer question.
Original post by Yaniv_Rozenberg
hey thanks , but it's a one answer question.

Think about it this way: what are the different types of protein that you know you can find in the membrane? For example, think about protein channels. Do those stretch all the way through the membrane, only a little bit in, or just anchored to the edge? What about receptors? Do those have specific patterns to them?
Reply 4
Are these Olympiad questions by any chance?
Reply 5
Original post by Yaniv_Rozenberg
Hey , guys could you help me by answering those questions?

Fibronectins are adhesive glycoproteins, which are involved in the following processes, expect:
a) maining cell shape
b) organizing the cytoskeleton
c) cell differentiation
d) cells migration during embryogenesis
e) cell secretion

Membrane proteins consist of:
a) Extrinsic and transmembrane proteins
b) transmembrane proteins, perippheral proteins
c) superficial proteins
d) integral proteins
e) paripheral proteins

Firstly, considering fibronectin, you yourself state that it is an adhesive glycoprotein. This means that it functions as an adhesion molecule, constituting a connection between the cell and its ECM. Now consider what such a molecule could do, especially during embryogenesis. By far, the most probable answer to your question appears to be a role in cell migration, although fibronectin is also involved in differentiation of some cells.

For the second question, revise what proteins you have studied as parts of cell membrane. Where are they present? Which ones play a role in signalling and hormone reception, and which one have other functions? What is the nature of these proteins? I think you will find the answer readily; it is a bit simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending