The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweeny-tom
Yeah I was absolutely devastated on the day. UCL had been my dream for like three years. In truth, I was quite tunnel visioned last year and only picked two universities by actual criteria, the rest were just based on distance from home. Now that I have looked around more, I can see that Barts is actually better for me in terms of course content and I'll end up with less debt because the accomodation isn't going to cost me £147 per week like it was going to at UCL.

Last year, I was interviewed on the second day at UCL and got an offer two days later so I was pretty safe in the knowledge that they liked me. When I phoned admissions on results day and explained my situation (heart surgery yada yada) the women literally said the words "You don't have an A in chemistry, therefore we don't want you." She was not willing to listen to a single word I said.

A contact who knew my situation and who is friends with UCL's dean wrote her a letter to ask for them to at least allow me to reapply and she was simply ignored by her own friend. The cold attitude with which they treated my case really helped me get over how bad I felt about missing out on UCL. When I saw that Barts would possibly take me with my current grades it really spurred me to go for it, hence my current very fortunate position.

Medical admission process is really ruthless. I never thought it would be this hard. Great that you have an unconditional offer. I have to get an A* for my offer. Let me now bury myself in my books to avoid any shock on August 14 - the results day. I don't even want to think about the situation if I lose the offer.
Original post by Matthew150

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you informed.
I've also made a Data protection act request for my interview score and waiting list ranking, so I'll see if that comes back with anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What time did you get your e-mail regarding the waiting list? They might have sent e-mails according to ranking on the list...
Original post by General Maximus
What time did you get your e-mail regarding the waiting list? They might have sent e-mails according to ranking on the list...

15:34, is that good or bad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
15:34, is that good or bad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure! I got mine 11.16 AM

How about everyone else? What times did they receive their emails?
Not sure! I got mine 11.16 AM

How about everyone else? What times did they receive their emails?

15.35 here

15.37on the 2nd of April.
Original post by Physicsrules23
15.35 here

Which date did you get it?
Original post by Samarpanam
Which date did you get it?

April 2nd
Hi I'm not sure if it's relevant to post this here but do Barts accept international qualifications for medicine?
I want to apply for the 2015 entry and my country wasn't listed on their entry requirements section so I emailed them asking about requirements for my country but they replied with links to their website again so I'm back to square one :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3609
Original post by oscartales
Hi I'm not sure if it's relevant to post this here but do Barts accept international qualifications for medicine?
I want to apply for the 2015 entry and my country wasn't listed on their entry requirements section so I emailed them asking about requirements for my country but they replied with links to their website again so I'm back to square one :rolleyes:

They do from a range of places but obviously it's going to depend on the country.
Best thing to do, definitely give them a ring. That is a very important question that I personally would want triple confirmed before applying. The staff are very friendly though and should be able to direct you easily enough :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PG593
They do from a range of places but obviously it's going to depend on the country.
Best thing to do, definitely give them a ring. That is a very important question that I personally would want triple confirmed before applying. The staff are very friendly though and should be able to direct you easily enough :smile:

Oh thank you I will definitely give them a call :smile: It's a pity they don't specify these things in their emails but I'm guessing they probably have thousands of these emails so it would be very painful to write an individual reply to all of them :redface:
Reply 3611
Help!

I've been wait listed but just want to know,
Should I still apply for student finance for barts a100 ?
Reply 3612
Original post by Samarpanam
15.37on the 2nd of April.

My was 2nd April 11:16 am
Original post by aliuk
My was 2nd April 11:16 am

So far it seems there were two batches of e-mails; one at 11:16 and one at 15:35. Nothing is clear yet but I suggest you keep at eye on the FOI request Matthew sent; which can be located here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/waiting_list_number_of_offers_ma#incoming-501564
Dawson vs Floyer? Your Thoughts?

I'm leaning toward Dawson because of the gym and laundry services as well as the rec room provided. It's medics only but whatever, so is Floyer.
Location wise, Floyer would be better since you're closer to lectures etc but in my opinion, In my opinion, Dawson has the better location for nightlife and is better connected with more train lines etc. I don't think Dawson is too far away from lectures as 200 med students seem to be fine doing it daily.
So far it seems there were two batches of e-mails; one at 11:16 and one at 15:35. Nothing is clear yet but I suggest you keep at eye on the FOI request Matthew sent; which can be located here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/waiting_list_number_of_offers_ma#incoming-501564

Ah! You found my cheeky little request! :biggrin:
Ah! You found my cheeky little request! :biggrin:

Yes, I noticed the name Matthew and I figured it was you. When you hear back let us know Matt.

By the way, how did you go about requesting your rank via the data protection act?
Yes, I noticed the name Matthew and I figured it was you. When you hear back let us know Matt.

By the way, how did you go about requesting your rank via the data protection act?

Will do mate.

I sent their data processing guy an email requesting my score and rank, he confirmed receipt and asked for £10 and a scan of ID, sent both, and still waiting to hear.
Will do mate.

I sent their data processing guy an email requesting my score and rank, he confirmed receipt and asked for £10 and a scan of ID, sent both, and still waiting to hear.

That is just so silly by them. If they say we can't give your rank due to 'policy' but in reality you can ask for it from the data protection act - just lies.

I'll do the same as you once you've had some news - we can also analyse ranks and make a comment on the timing we've received the waiting list e-mail (as I was 11am and you 1pm batch).
That is just so silly by them. If they say we can't give your rank due to 'policy' but in reality you can ask for it from the data protection act - just lies.

I'll do the same as you once you've had some news - we can also analyse ranks and make a comment on the timing we've received the waiting list e-mail (as I was 11am and you 1pm batch).

I know... pretty frustrating. It'll be interesting if they do provide the rank, but I think they have to by law.
Also, it would be a little cheeky to take my £10 and then not give me what I'm after.

Good idea, I'll post when I know.
That's a good point, once we know one rank, it'll help work the others out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending