The Student Room Group

AS OCR English Lit help please!

Hi, okay so I was looking at the course specification today, as you do, and I came across this little nugget under the unit content for prose part of the exam: In this section, study of the chosen text must be complemented by study of a literary-critical text, such as the ones recommended on page 12. Study of the ‘complementary text’ will not be tested in a separate task, but candidates will be expected to demonstrate understanding of basic literary- critical concepts and approaches as presented in these texts. Propositions for tasks in this section may be drawn (or adapted) from these texts' okay we haven't studied a 'literary-critical text' (I don't even have a clue what that is) and it says must... is this something I need to worry about? :s-smilie: if anyone can clear things up I would be very very grateful!
Original post by BethanyMary
Hi, okay so I was looking at the course specification today, as you do, and I came across this little nugget under the unit content for prose part of the exam: In this section, study of the chosen text must be complemented by study of a literary-critical text, such as the ones recommended on page 12. Study of the ‘complementary text’ will not be tested in a separate task, but candidates will be expected to demonstrate understanding of basic literary- critical concepts and approaches as presented in these texts. Propositions for tasks in this section may be drawn (or adapted) from these texts' okay we haven't studied a 'literary-critical text' (I don't even have a clue what that is) and it says must... is this something I need to worry about? :s-smilie: if anyone can clear things up I would be very very grateful!

I believe it is referring to A03 and A04, as in you will need to provide critical references as well as readings to your answer

I.E; Marxism, Freud, Critics (Anne.K. Mellor), etc
Reply 2
Original post by EvasiveRose
I believe it is referring to A03 and A04, as in you will need to provide critical references as well as readings to your answer

I.E; Marxism, Freud, Critics (Anne.K. Mellor), etc

Thank you. Oh gosh. We've literally only read the text through. I think I might need to speak to my English teacher about this.
Thank you. Oh gosh. We've literally only read the text through. I think I might need to speak to my English teacher about this.

What text are you doing?

What text are you studying?
And do you understand the basic critical perspectives? I.E. Marxism, etc
Reply 5
What text are you studying?
And do you understand the basic critical perspectives? I.E. Marxism, etc

We're studying The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. Umm not really... do you mean as in how the text relates to Marxism?
We're studying The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. Umm not really... do you mean as in how the text relates to Marxism?

Yes. I'm sure your teacher can help you more though
Good Luck
Reply 7
Yes. I'm sure your teacher can help you more though
Good Luck

Thank you very much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending