The Student Room Group

GCSE Spanish

Hi, I'm currently studying 10 GCSEs including two languages (Latin and French) but I've always really wanted to study Spanish. How hard would it be to study three languages, and could you give me any tips on self-tutoring (how the exams work, good books etc.) Also, do universities like to see languages and would I gain extra credit for self-teaching?
Thanks
harrythfc99
I am not taking a language but I am in year ten and I am self teaching myself Spanish.
Don't think you need to take an exam in it. Just learn it in your own time:smile:
Don't think you'd get extra credit for self-teaching but Spanish is pretty similar to French imo so you should be alright :smile: Though I have to say you'd be putting yourself under a lot of pressure
Reply 4
Thanks for your comments

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You should be alright if you are naturally a linguist. I'm only learning Spanish and i absolutely hate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
I am not taking a language but I am in year ten and I am self teaching myself Spanish.

How are you doing it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harrythfc99
Hi, I'm currently studying 10 GCSEs including two languages (Latin and French) but I've always really wanted to study Spanish. How hard would it be to study three languages, and could you give me any tips on self-tutoring (how the exams work, good books etc.) Also, do universities like to see languages and would I gain extra credit for self-teaching?
Thanks
harrythfc99

If you're good at languages you may as well, you probably don't need to do an exam in it but if you enjoy it there's no reason why you shouldn't, last year (year 11) I was getting A*s in Spanish and for fun I started teaching myself GCSE French and could easily complete the past papers after a couple of weeks, at A Level though languages become really difficult (in my opinion and I've seen a lot of people who think the same) so if you're considering taking them on then bare in mind how different GCSE is to A Level
But or GCSE I just looked at what types of things I needed to know for Spanish and found out how to say the same things in French, plus learning verb conjugations and some grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile
How lovely to see such a keen learner. Just the fact that you are entertaining the thought of tackling three languages at once and planning to self teach the third one shows that you are quite likely up to the task.

if you do choose such an earnest endeavour I hope that you may find some helpful resources here.

There are things such as past exams including listening exams with audio files. Flashcards taken from GCSE and AQA vocab lists etc.

All the best, I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi all,

I too am going to self-teach Spanish; however, at the moment, I don't know where to start!
I have basic competence of the language and the understanding at GCSE level, but that's it.
Would you be able to give me some advice?
I have had brief experience with Spanish, however, I want to learn French and German too!

Kind Regards.
Self teach it after your GCSES?
Quite difficult. However, I'm not sure if you would sit the new GCSE, where there are no controlled assessments.

Skips :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest