The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/14/everything-negotiation-scotland-independent-philip-hammond

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond claims "everything is negotiable" when it comes to Scottish independence.

"You can't go into any negotiation with things that are non-negotiable. You can go with things you intend to make your principal objectives in a negotiation and, when you have issues about which you are not prepared to be flexible, invariably you have to give way on other things in order to achieve your objectives."

I've been saying the same thing from the beginning, but I just hope this doesn't mean SNP turning their back on their promise to get rid of Trident.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/14/everything-negotiation-scotland-independent-philip-hammond

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond claims "everything is negotiable" when it comes to Scottish independence.

I've been saying the same thing from the beginning, but I just hope this doesn't mean SNP turning their back on their promise to get rid of Trident.

Have the SNP bothered to raise Trident with Westminster if they're so opposed to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8162
Original post by Midlander
I rate Anas Sarwar quite highly however the party has nobody of Salmond's calibre which is a thorn in its side. Lamont in recent weeks has stooped to trying to win over the nationalists which to me makes her position untenable. I also expect the Scottish Tories to go from strength to strength as the third party under Davidson who I think is a far better party leader at this moment in time.

As an aside, people claiming that London is a hotbed of Conservatism may be interested to know that YouGov polls put Labour first in Westminster, European and council elections there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mid-term polls always have the opposition ahead. I cannot seriously see people voting Ed Milliband in as PM. He has the 'Kinnock' factor!
Original post by JamesyC
then Better Together will go down in history as a massive factor because it is so incredibly negative.

History won't care. Scotland is irrelevant. I'll be surprised if there is even a footnote about it in any future 25th century version of a history textbook.
Original post by Boab
Mid-term polls always have the opposition ahead. I cannot seriously see people voting Ed Milliband in as PM. He has the 'Kinnock' factor!

Unless Labour come out with some incredible policies that win over your average swing voter then I agree Ed won't win. Given he has Ed Balls as shadow chancellor I'm not expecting anything good on the economic policy front...
Original post by Boab

To be honest I struggle to as well. The main reason I still vote Labour in the Westminster elections is because the MP who stands is a pretty good one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have the SNP bothered to raise Trident with Westminster if they're so opposed to it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Defence isn't devolved
Reply 8167
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Defence isn't devolved

Neither is constitutional reform but they've successfully lobbied for a referendum on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VladThe1mpaler

:s-smilie: To be honest his comment was a bit stupid, talk about playing down your own side. The SNP have made it clear trident isn't up for negotiation. The UK have made it clear the currency union isn't up for negotiation, so fine. :biggrin:
Original post by Boab
Leadership wise Salmond is head and shoulders above anyone else in the SNP, but then he's head and shoulders above most politicians. Elected leader 24 years ago and still there, albeit for a brief holiday.

If Lamont resigned, is there really anyone in Labour's ranks to take over?

I'd agree he's head and shoulders in Holyrood, but at Westminster he was a nobody.
Original post by 1tartanarmy
Defence isn't devolved

It wouldn't have to be for it to be moved?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jenkinsear
History won't care. Scotland is irrelevant. I'll be surprised if there is even a footnote about it in any future 25th century version of a history textbook.

Disagree.

How are you defining history? As in the history of Scotland? Then I would disagree. Look at the July 4th in America still celebrated. However if you're talking about in the context of the world history, then it would be irrelevant.
Guys have a little thought about this: What would Scotland's reaction be if the rest of the UK said "Sorry Scotland, but we don't need you any more" .... There'd be an uproar wouldn't there? Alex Salmond is a deluded hypocrite, it seems to me that he hasn't thought this through enough ...
Original post by Le Franglais
Guys have a little thought about this: What would Scotland's reaction be if the rest of the UK said "Sorry Scotland, but we don't need you any more" .... There'd be an uproar wouldn't there? Alex Salmond is a deluded hypocrite, it seems to me that he hasn't thought this through enough ...

Is it legally possible for a member state to be ejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it legally possible for a member state to be ejected?Posted from TSR Mobile
This was hypothetically speaking, I don't know the laws about ejection.
Reply 8176
Original post by Le Franglais

Me neither clearly cos I have no idea what yer getting at.

Another Unionist commentator starting to worry.... http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/benedictbrogan/100267634/its-time-david-cameron-showed-scots-that-england-does-care/
Reply 8177
Original post by JamesyC
If Scotland votes yes, then Better Together will go down in history as a massive factor because it is so incredibly negative.

Can you possibly find me an example of a referendum campaign opposing the referendum's proposal that was "positive", in your view?
Is it legally possible for a member state to be ejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As about as likely as being able to walk away from debt......but they'll be people out there who will believe it and quite websites to back up their claims.

Based on what? Take it there wont be any reference to British history either seeing as you can't have that without Scotland :rofl:

Latest

Trending

Trending