The Student Room Group

Do you feel confident about your upcoming exams?

How many of you know what grades you need to get but feel pretty certain that you won't get it? Is there a chance you will get it if you start now? Or do you think it is too late?

1) How many exams do you have?
2) How many do you feel confident with?
3) How are you preparing?
4) Do you have a plan B if you fail?

With Maths I was extremely silly to think I could just plough through the excellent tutorials on ExamSolutions and M4ths.com and pass lol. I am now going through the Edexcel books and making pretty good progress, how about you all?

Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1) 5 highers
2) I feel fairly confident with 1 or 2 of them
3) I am yet to do any real preparation even though they are in under two weeks. I keep asking myself, WHY have I done nothing but sit around the house all holiday, occasionally worrying about my exams yet doing nothing about it :facepalm:

Don't worry I also struggle with maths and having a terrible teacher doesn't help.
Reply 2
9 exams
Not too confident :/
Past papers mainly

Out of interest, whats wrong with Exam solutions?
Reply 3
Original post by TajwarC
9 exams
Not too confident :/
Past papers mainly

Out of interest, whats wrong with Exam solutions?

Nothing, it's brilliant! It was just that I thought I could go into the exam having had no practice at all and pass just by watching ExamSolutions and M4ths.com's videos lol. I've only just realised how essential it is to practice so now I am watching the videos of each chapter on the websites and then attempting the questions in the book and later, hopefully the Solomon papers :smile:

Original post by LCRMG
1) 5 highers
2) I feel fairly confident with 1 or 2 of them
3) I am yet to do any real preparation even though they are in under two weeks. I keep asking myself, WHY have I done nothing but sit around the house all holiday, occasionally worrying about my exams yet doing nothing about it :facepalm:

Don't worry I also struggle with maths and having a terrible teacher doesn't help.

Trust me, I know how you feel.

I feel like I am okay but I feel depressed about how behind I am and end up doing nothing, then I end up even more depressed :|
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by L'Etudiant
Nothing, it's brilliant! It was just that I thought I could go into the exam having had no practice at all and pass just by watching ExamSolutions and M4ths.com's videos lol. I've only just realised how essential it is to practice so now I am watching the videos of each chapter on the websites and then attempting the questions in the book and later, hopefully the Solomon papers :smile:

Aah. Yeah maths is all practice, the questions in the book (review exercises if you're doing Edexcel) and Solomon papers are usually quite a bit more difficult then the read exam questions; if you can get through those then the exam should be easy :smile: (That's my theory anyway haha)
How many of you know what grades you need to get but feel pretty certain that you won't get it? Is there a chance you will get it if you start now? Or do you think it is too late?

With Maths I was extremely silly to think I could just plough through the excellent tutorials on ExamSolutions and M4ths.com and pass lol. I am now going through the Edexcel books and making pretty good progress, how about you all?

I have 11 exams this year,

Further maths/maths/bio/chem/German

I feel so so so unprepared for biology right now and don't understand chemistry but Germans going alright, I think I'll hopefully be scraping an A

But taking further maths was the biggest mistake of my life, 6 maths modules is ridiculous plus I need to get 90ums+ in C3 to make sure I get an A* in maths next year, it's safe to say I'm in utter panic mode right now :P

But hey I've done this to myself :')

*sorry for rambling*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

1) 7(actual GCSE exam) or higher (if it includes the mocks)
2)No confident at all, haven't even started revising yet and the exam is in 3 weeks
3)Trying to revise, honestly but every time I touch a book, I always get distracted :frown:
Reply 7

LOL 12 EXAMS and not so confident.
For math you can use mathswach vle(All the contents from grades A*-C)

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
6 exams, feel confident with 3. The other 3 can **** themselves (not really, pls let me pass)
Reply 9
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
I have 11 exams this year,

Maybe this will help? For Maths, I have been waking up at 8 in the morning and completing at the very least 1.5 chapters per day, it's working, I just hope I don't magically forget it all come exam time :frown: Good luck!

Original post by Firenze26
1) 7(actual GCSE exam) or higher (if it includes the mocks)
2)No confident at all, haven't even started revising yet and the exam is in 3 weeks
3)Trying to revise, honestly but every time I touch a book, I always get distracted :frown:

Everytime you get distracted remind yourself of the importance of revising. In 3 weeks time you will wish you started now lol, good luck!

Original post by German123
LOL 12 EXAMS and not so confident.
For math you can use mathswach vle(All the contents from grades A*-C)

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Beautiful quote, I shall put that in the OP in the hope of inspiring others!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
1) How many exams do you have? 11 exams
2) How many do you feel confident with? 9 of them
3) How are you preparing? Lots of revision and exam papers
Reply 11

1) 4 (well 8 since I have two exam sessions in the next 8 weeks, but four are in the next week!)
2) 0 :frown:
3) I wish I knew :tongue: I think I may attempt an all nighter before the exams since it's just way too late to do anything properly now :colondollar:

If you're doing A-Level maths you could just start past papers as well as doing the Edexcel book chapters since the papers are better are focusing your attention to your weak areas :smile:
Reply 12
I love it how you correct the grammar of the quote.:redface:

1)25 GCSE
2)About 2
3)I'll start tomorrow (used this for the past week now)
Reply 13
Original post by Mallika
1) 4 (well 8 since I have two exam sessions in the next 8 weeks, but four are in the next week!)
2) 0 :frown:
3) I wish I knew :tongue: I think I may attempt an all nighter before the exams since it's just way too late to do anything properly now :colondollar:

If you're doing A-Level maths you could just start past papers as well as doing the Edexcel book chapters since the papers are better are focusing your attention to your weak areas :smile:

Please do not do the all-nighter. Do what you planned to do then starting tomorrow. A friend of mine did this before one of his exam and although he walked in the exam room feeling confident he ended up getting a D as he forgot pretty much all he learned overnight.

You have a better chance of remembering by practicing repeatedly, Mallika. Good luck :smile:
Maybe this will help? For Maths, I have been waking up at 8 in the morning and completing at the very least 1.5 chapters per day, it's working, I just hope I don't magically forget it all come exam time :frown: Good luck!

Everytime you get distracted remind yourself of the importance of revising. In 3 weeks time you will wish you started now lol, good luck!

Beautiful quote, I shall put that in the OP in the hope of inspiring others!

No prob.:smile:
I have 5 exams. I'm a third year maths student.

Complex Analysis - The subject I have the most confidence in. Expecting a strong first.

Galois Theory - The hardest thing I've done, ever. The courseworks were easily more demanding than any other course I have. I understand most of it, but I wouldn't say confident. It, alongside complex analysis, have been my favourite courses though.

Partial Differential Equations - Largely a computational course, which makes it pretty straightforward. A lot of detailed computation is required for some typical questions I've seen in past papers. I'm mostly worried about having the time to finish.

Graph Theory - ****ting myself. A course done in the first term, I've forgotten half of it, and half the marks on the paper are earned in "open problem" questions (i.e., rather than answering a specific question, develop an answer to a broad problem). If I can get my head into it like I was at the end of the term, I should be ok.. I'm just not sure how likely that is.

Geometry & Topology - Largely straightforward things appear on the past papers, I'm not too worried.
8 exams
Feel confident with 3 of them
Past papers and read over notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
1) How many exams do you have? 7 AS -> 2 Biology, 2 Chemistry, 2 Psychology, and 1 English Lit.
2) How many do you feel confident with? Chemistry Unit 1 and English Lit. -> The others are in working progress :smile:
3) How are you preparing? Mindmaps and Past Papers for Biology - Answering questions from the AQA book and Past Papers for Chemistry - Re-writing notes from the AQA book and Practise Essays for Psychology - Re-analyzing poems and making links and re-reading books for English Lit.

1)11 exams
2)2 exams :afraid:
3)By revising
Reply 19
No. I've done zero preparation. I'm going to fail.

Quick Reply

Latest