The Student Room Group

Attending open days alone

I am going to be getting the train to the upcoming Durham and Sheffield offer holder days in the next couple of weeks, but I'm a bit nervous about attending alone as I often struggle to start up conversations with people.
On previous open days I've attended, I've always kept to myself, but would like to get to know people who are considering the same courses as me. Are there any tips or anything for attending an open day and starting conversations with other prospective students whilst you're there that you have?
Reply 1
Omg I have also been going about this whole thing alone DX
So far I have attended 2 Open Days (Swansea & Keele) and the best advice I can give you is just be yourself!
In my experience, small talk is a necessary beginning to making that first conversation step: Where have you travelled from? What made you want to join the course? How are your exams going/how did they go? Is there anything you're looking forward to for Uni? What got you interested in the course? And so on
But these should catapault you into better conversations where you can start talking about friends at home and hobbies. From the people I have spoken to, small talk doesn't keep things interesting so these conversations don't have much longevity. So, try and ask something really outlandish and really gauge the reactions of people you're with. I always find it's best to start with an anecdote and this usually gets the person your speaking to to share another of their own anecdotes.

I hope this helps!
Let me know how it goes? (:
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am going to be getting the train to the upcoming Durham and Sheffield offer holder days in the next couple of weeks, but I'm a bit nervous about attending alone as I often struggle to start up conversations with people.
On previous open days I've attended, I've always kept to myself, but would like to get to know people who are considering the same courses as me. Are there any tips or anything for attending an open day and starting conversations with other prospective students whilst you're there that you have?

Hiya,

Putting yourself in a new situation can be incredibly daunting and I am sure a lot of people attending the open days are feeling the same as well. During open days, there are course talks in your department so that would be an easy way to start conversation topics and maybe discuss other potential university options or a levels. When I was attending open days, I remember feeling nervous before as well however there are always friendly people you will find. In addition, there are plenty of University of Sheffield student workers that will be dotted around all over campus as well so if you do need to build up some confidence first, you can always talk to one of us and we will always be happy to help :smile:

Hope you enjoy your open days! Let me know if you have anymore questions,
Jivanthika

Hi,
Great to hear your going to some offer holder days and not letting going solo put you off. Don't be afraid of speaking to others as they are also likely quite nervous. Perhaps speak to Student abassadors of there are any at the event and they can give an insight - just ask what their experience is like for example. Usually applicant days have mini lecture things where prospectus Students go. Perhaps arrive a bit early and you can spark a conversation with other early people or ask to sit beside another person. You could start by asking what they have applied for / small talk and that might help to get a little conversation going.
Hope the applicant days are rewarding and best wishes.
Catherine- Univeristy of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
(edited 2 months ago)
If you go to any subject specific talks try to start conversations on the way out " that was interesting, are you going to the 2pm talk? " type of thing. If you do chat to someone don't forget to tell them your name "I'm John by the way" . People are more likely to carry on a chat this way. Look out for other lone wolfs too.
Original post by pookienoodle
If you go to any subject specific talks try to start conversations on the way out " that was interesting, are you going to the 2pm talk? " type of thing. If you do chat to someone don't forget to tell them your name "I'm John by the way" . People are more likely to carry on a chat this way. Look out for other lone wolfs too.

*wolves

Hey! well done on doing this alone, I can understand how daunting it might feel but there are lots of people are in the same position. I'm sure you'll feel welcomed which will help you feel at ease at first but make sure you know what the key information is that you want to find out and take a note book with you, remember lots of others will be doing the same and the staff and students are there to help you! enjoy the experience an make the most of using this time to find out if this is the right fit for you 🙂 good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending