The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by what is this
Watch how united go out and spend money and try their best to come back. They'll also be getting a great manager in Van Gaal.

They don't settle for mediocrity, as was seen in the ruthless manner they sacked Moyes. They have a pretty large amount to spend. We've settled for mediocrity for the past 10 years, the virtual trophy becoming the pinnacle of our ambitions.

While we're gonna sit on our ass until the last 24 hours and sign an unknown French ligue 2 striker who will be hailed at the next Henry, man utd, Chelsea, man city and Liverpool will be spending serious cash recruiting world class talent.

Hopefully Arsene leaves but it's not looking likely.

dat ruthless manner after 10 months lol of failure.
so do we, obvs not as much, but our squad doesnt need rebuilding like theirs.
just like how we signed ozil.
is peggles banned?
Original post by Pete_91
Hadn't thought about that, has it ever happened? Most of our charity shield games were against United back in the 2000s (might have been all of them in fact).

Was Chelski in 2005, every other year Utd IIRC. And we played it pretty much every year 2001-2005. Used to be enjoyable as a test match and seeing all the new signings back in the day.

We have a fixture congestion problem though this summer big time.
-World Cup
-Emirates Cup
-International touring
-Local friendlies vs Barnet etc
-Charity Shield*
-2 CL qualification legs
Original post by Zürich
Can see WHU possibly pulling off an upset, they always fight like dogs against Spurs and it's at Upton. Although they are dreadful atm. Villa will be a walkover probably but theyre in relegation trouble so you never know.

Europa wouldnt hurt Utd that much because you have a fairly big squad with some promising youngsters you might be grateful to have the chance to try out in. Probably cost you 5/6 points in the League over a season maximum.

True, it could even work out to be a good thing overall if it gives regular starts to the likes of Hernandez, Young and Cleverley, and gives youngsters like Varela, Keane and Wilson their first chance in the first team.
Original post by Zürich
Was Chelski in 2005, every other year Utd IIRC. And we played it pretty much every year 2001-2005. Used to be enjoyable as a test match and seeing all the new signings back in the day.

-World Cup
-Emirates Cup
-International touring
-Charity Shield*
-2 CL qualification legs

Well you can't cut out the Emirates Cup, it's your only chance of a trophy...

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
dat ruthless manner after 10 months lol of failure.
so do we, obvs not as much, but our squad doesnt need rebuilding like theirs.
just like how we signed ozil.
is peggles banned?

Ozil was a complete panic buy after the fans were literally revolting outside the stadium.

We might need similar scenes to force the board to buy a competent striker in the summer.

Plus Ozil wasn't even needed.

An absolute disgrace that we needed a striker in the winter yet went out and loaned in an injured midfielder, yet there are still people blindly supporting Wenger as he makes our club a laughing stock.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Surely just don't play the local friendlies? You can't cut out the Emirates Cup, it's your only chance of a trophy...

Ba dum tss

Emirates Cup is probs worth £5m to the club and there aint a hope in hell they'll turn that $$$ down :coma:

Can cut out most but we have traditions like playing Barnet which the club will probably try to honour with a youth team of something. Those arent a problem anyway. It's the USA tour straight after a world cup followed by crucial CL qualifiers that will be the biggest killer. Players will be wrecked.

Then again youve got Szcz, Gibbs, Ramsey, Rosicky, Flamini, Jenkinson, Walcott, Diaby, Sanogo etc who wont be at the WC and if you add in the youth team and a few others who exited the tournament early then you can probably save most from having to do WC+tour.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

-World Cup
-Emirates Cup
-International touring
-Charity Shield*
-2 CL qualification legs

1979 we lost 3-1 to Liverpool
1989 we lost 1-0 to Liverpool
2002 we won 1-0 against Liverpool

So three times, can't for the life of me remember the 2002 match, Gilberto scored the winner though.
Reply 1347
Original post by Zürich

Wasnt ever really worried, expected them to drop the points somehow. Odds before we played West Ham were about 4/6 IIRC, should have lumped on that looking back but I tend to stay away from betting on Arsenal due to extreme bias :K:

Yeah agree 100%, can never sniff at the FA Cup esp after a dry spell like weve had.
People rubish the top4 but there are always quality sides who miss out and in the modern game it is absolutely crucial to be in the CL. And immensely enjoyable as a fan, would be gutted to have to watch the other English sides in it!

Probably LFC will play AFC in the charity shield. Cant remember that ever happening so will be interesting!

me neither - i knew you'd beat them to top 4 because everton always drop points against mid-highish teams like southampton, which is a shame when they play so well against top teams mostly.

exactly - if chelsea don't win the CL, they will probably get 3rd with no trophies.
i'd rather have 4th and a cup tbh.

precisely - it's so nice to watch your team win something; you will have the rights to that competition until the next team wins it.

yeah, that would be amazing - would be great to see one not involving a team from manchester or chelsea (i wonder when the last one was not involving those 3 teams?)

Lol you taking the piss mate?

What about the embarrassing dickkings we've received from Chelsea, Liverpool, Bayern etc.

Season has been an absolute disgrace. Going from 1st to fighting for 4th within a matter of 6-7 weeks is a disgrace.

Think of it this way: would Chelsea, man city or man utd board and fans accept such a capitulation? No way. Just shows how Wenger has managed to dupe fans into accepting mediocrity.

The quicker he leaves the better it will be for the club's ambitions. Winning the FA cup will be a nice send off.

i certainly am not - i agree that your performances against top sides have been dire, truly awful.
however the fact is that if you still end up in the top 4, you've done really well against the other sides.

it's all about where you finish. as a fan, of course it's worse to lose badly to your rivals, but if you finish above them (i.e: man united, everton, etc..) you still have bragging rights i guess

people shouldn't talk about the title with arsenal - you overperformed in the first half of the season, and were unlucky with injury and fixture list in the second, but you've ultimately ended up where you normally end up, except this time you could have an FA cup too
i'd call that progress tbh...
Reply 1348
Watch how united go out and spend money and try their best to come back. They'll also be getting a great manager in Van Gaal.

They don't settle for mediocrity, as was seen in the ruthless manner they sacked Moyes. They have a pretty large amount to spend. We've settled for mediocrity for the past 10 years, the virtual trophy becoming the pinnacle of our ambitions.

While we're gonna sit on our ass until the last 24 hours and sign an unknown French ligue 2 striker who will be hailed at the next Henry, man utd, Chelsea, man city and Liverpool will be spending serious cash recruiting world class talent.

Hopefully Arsene leaves but it's not looking likely.

Money doesn't necessary= success. Look at that club at Anfield road. Anyways, who do you envisage them to sign? They need to spend it correctly, as well. Look at that club at Haringey.

Won't settle for mediocracy? They hired Moyes in the first place and Cleverley starts in the middle of the park for them. That's mediocracy. The sacking of Moyes was not ruthless in the slightest. He done really terribly and the sacking was simple meeting the basic requirement. It's like calling Liverpool ruthless for sacking Hogson. Bruthless is what Ambramovich and Levy do.

Anyways, if United improve how would it impact us. Do you know where we need to improve?

No 'evidence' as such, it's all speculation at this point. But basically we are both willing and able to spend money to fix our problems. You're not that willing (Wenger) and not that able (not because you don't have the money, you do, but who will you buy? You need a striker but there's not that many available really).

We have 3 of the best attacking players in the league and assuming we get LVG he should be able to get the best out of them, even if that consists of dropping one of them. Plus there's the Europe factor, look at Liverpool this season. Not saying we'll win the league but it will help to have a week off between games while you're playing midweek.

You simply do not have the three best attacking player in the season. This isn't 2012/13. That's just selective bias. Rooney hasn't even been good consistently for 2 seasons now and Mata has had a terrible season, worse than Cazorla for that matter.

Suarez, Sturridge > RVP Hazard, Willian >Oscar, Sterling, Ozil = Rooney > Mata

People keep bringing up this European factor and personally, I think it's basic thinking and are simply overemphasising it maybe to make themselves feel better for missing out on a European place. It helps of course but I don't believe it's as much of an hindrance as people are making it out to be. If so, then we should see a high turnover of teams qualifying for EL places but historically, it's generally been the same teams.

City have dropped crucial point during period of not having European matches to worry about. Putting it succinctly, Chelsea and City are not not going to win the league because they had European ties. Even though Liverpool didn't have these European games, pretty sure no one expected to be leading heck, everyone expected them to have their annual 'post January crumble'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ozil was a complete panic buy after the fans were literally revolting outside the stadium.

We might need similar scenes to force the board to buy a competent striker in the summer.

Plus Ozil wasn't even needed.

An absolute disgrace that we needed a striker in the winter yet went out and loaned in an injured midfielder, yet there are still people blindly supporting Wenger as he makes our club a laughing stock.

this has been done 2 death, too tired to argue.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
this has been done 2 death, too tired to argue.

Lol, if Ozil was a panic buy I'd love to see who he can get without panicking...messi pls?
Also guys:

Original post by 419
Money doesn't necessary= success. Look at that club at Anfield road. Anyways, who do you envisage them to sign? They need to spend it correctly, as well. Look at that club at Haringey.

Won't settle for mediocracy? They hired Moyes in the first place and Cleverley starts in the middle of the park for them. That's mediocracy. The sacking of Moyes was not ruthless in the slightest. He done really terribly and the sacking was simple meeting the basic requirement. It's like calling Liverpool ruthless for sacking Hogson. Bruthless is what Ambramovich and Levy do.

Anyways, if United improve how would it impact us. Do you know where we need to improve?

You simply do not have the three best attacking player in the season. This isn't 2012/13. That's just selective bias. Rooney hasn't even been good consistently for 2 seasons now and Mata has had a terrible season, worse than Cazorla for that matter.

Suarez, Sturridge > RVP Hazard, Willian >Oscar, Sterling, Ozil = Rooney > Mata

People keep bringing up this European factor and personally, I think it's basic thinking and are simply overemphasising it maybe to make themselves feel better for missing out on a European place. It helps of course but I don't believe it's as much of an hindrance as people are making it out to be. If so, then we should see a high turnover of teams qualifying for EL places but historically, it's generally been the same teams.

City have dropped crucial point during period of not having European matches to worry about. Putting it succinctly, Chelsea and City are not not going to win the league because they had European ties. Even though Liverpool didn't have these European games, pretty sure no one expected to be leading heck, everyone expected them to have their annual 'post January crumble'.

I said 3 OF the best, I know they haven't been the best 3.

It's not a massive factor, but even if it only accounts for 2 wins over the course of the season that would otherwise have been draws or losses. that's 4/5/6 points, and that's more often than not the difference between 4th and 5th.

Wigan this season were midtable while they were in the europa and since they went out they've been better and are now in the playoffs.
(edited 10 years ago)
I said 3 OF the best, I know they haven't been the best 3.

It's not a massive factor, but even if it only accounts for 2 wins over the course of the season that would otherwise have been draws or losses. that's 4/5/6 points, and that's more often and not the difference between 4th and 5th.

In the last few that's been the difference between 3rd and 5th.
Reply 1354

It's not a massive factor, but even if it only accounts for 2 wins over the course of the season that would otherwise have been draws or losses. that's 4/5/6 points, and that's more often and not the difference between 4th and 5th.

You could say that about anything. Referring decision, players form, league cup tie, the weather, injury, who the players are shagging..................................................

I don't see the point.
Original post by Pete_91
Also guys:

Had to check wikipedia for that one!

Looool are you actually kidding me? There's a day in which we celebrate when Tottenham cannot mathematically finish above us? Wow.

INB4- Manchesterunited15 "Wow, I can't believe you didn't know that" :rolleyes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by 419
You could say that about anything. Referring decision, players form, league cup tie, the weather, injury, who the players are shagging..................................................

I don't see the point.

? Yes and all that stuff could go either way. Assuming we don't get Europa league, that's something that will definitely go our way.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Had to check wikipedia for that one!

Looool are you actually kidding me? There's a day in which we celebrate when Tottenham cannot mathematically finish above us? Wow.

I know right, pretty smalltime
Reply 1358
We're not going to sign a striker of world class calibre, lets just accept that. I'm becoming more and more certain that Mandz is going to stay at BM. He's the only striker that I could've seen us signing and even them, I give us like 20% chance of signing him because chelsea are obviously going to sign one. Costa is likely to become available given Atletico's financial worry but he really won't suit us anyways.

We're going to have to make our own world class striker and well, it's what teams are doing. Last season, Costa was a nobody. Lewandowski nearly signed for the prodigious Blackburn Rovers of Lancashire Arte et Labore.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1359
? Yes and all that stuff could go either way. Assuming we don't get Europa league, that's something that will definitely go our way.

Why isn't it a massive talking point then?

Latest