The Student Room Group

Bankers Bonus Cap.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by will2348
Further to above, I disagree with the government on this 200% cap.

I don't think it is fair for the following reasons...

People seem to generalise and think if the bank performs badly then no one should get a 200% bonus without realising there are literally hundreds of divisions.

If Banker A in one division makes £10,000,000 for the firm but Banker B in another division loses double that amount - then surely Banker A should still get a bonus for his performance despite Banker B destroying the overall performance of the bank.

It is this thinking that because some bankers brought down the performance of the bank that even the really good performers of the bank should not be rewarded which will cause RBS' recovery to take even longer.

Even if the 200% bonuses were paid to the top performers, the total compensation package is still 33% behind other banks and now that is even more.

It's not acceptable that the government can dictate the pay of even the top performers at the bank (those driving the recovery), as we've already seen, they will jump to other banks. And it's no wonder they have a recruitment issue with even junior bankers when they get slated like this.

Also some divisions carry more risk than others. It's not right that bankers working in relatively risk free divisions who make money should get slated with the guys who work in riskier divisions and lose money.

It's a decision that is purely political and has no grounding in any economic sense or reality at all.

In my opinion, other companies should adopt the incentive models of banks - where the employees get a share of the profits they generate. Even at top banks, cleaners have part of their compensation allocated to overall performance of the institution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the five years before Lehman Brothers collapsed, the CEO took home about $350 million. If you think other companies should adopt an incentive method whereby if you run your company into the ground and play a major role in causing a global recession you get hundreds of millions of pounds, then I hope your never in charge of a company.

Getting insane amounts of money regardless of performance is not incentive based pay.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Monetary incentives.. that's the primary reason people work. Not everyone wants to willingly help people who are suffering from mental illness.

This government is asking for a collapse in our financial sector.. what next? Nationalisation of banking industry? The best bankers would simply move abroad. What then?

(i) Do you have any evidence to suggest that the best bankers would move abroad?

(ii) What specific impact do you think that would that have, and why?
Reply 22
Original post by DaveSmith99
In the five years before Lehman Brothers collapsed, the CEO took home about $350 million. If you think other companies should adopt an incentive method whereby if you run your company into the ground and play a major role in causing a global recession you get hundreds of millions of pounds then I hope your never in charge of a company.

Getting insane amounts of money regardless of performance is not incentive based pay.

They do say that one of the prerequisites for working in IB is the distinct lack of a soul and sense of culpability.

Edit: Well, two, I suppose.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DaveSmith99
In the five years before Lehman Brothers collapsed, the CEO took home about $350 million. If you think other companies should adopt an incentive method whereby if you run your company into the ground and play a major role in causing a global recession you get hundreds of millions of pounds then I hope your never in charge of a company.

If you read what I said, I stated 'employees should get a share of the profits' which is exactly what banks do.

At Lehman Bros, that was exactly what happened, but it was based on short-term added value.

Today banker compensation is mostly made up of deferred shares, especially for seniors, so they have an incentive to add value over the long-term and that is exactly how it should be for any company.

However, that is what we have in place at the moment, there is no reason to add a bonus cap on top.

At RBS, for example, for both juniors and seniors only £2,000 cash makes up the overall bonus with the rest in deferred long-term compensation.

If anything, the bonus cap has just ensured there is a lack of incentives in the long-term performance of the bank with zero loyalty amongst their bankers which was why I also said the decision was purely political.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you read what I said, I stated 'employees should get a share of the profits' which is exactly what banks do.

At Lehman Bros, that was exactly what happened, but it was based on short-term added value.

Today banker compensation is mostly made up of deferred shares, especially for seniors, so they have an incentive to add value over the long-term and that is exactly how it should be for any company.

However, that is what we have in place at the moment, there is no reason to add a bonus cap on top.

At RBS, for example, for both juniors and seniors only £2,000 cash makes up the overall bonus with the rest in deferred long-term compensation.

If anything, the bonus cap has just ensured there is a lack of incentives in the long-term performance of the bank with zero loyalty amongst their bankers which was why I also said the decision was purely political.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So basically, what you're saying is that. Lot if people
Misunderstand Bankers Bonuses?
Original post by MatureStudent36
So basically, what you're saying is that. Lot if people
Misunderstand Bankers Bonuses?

Not saying they are misunderstood a such, just that it tends to be over-generalised.

Every industry has bad people in it, it's just that in banking it only takes a few to have disastrous consequences.

Do you really think everyone who works in financial services is as how the media perceives us to be? Greedy unjustified bonus sucking bastards?

The biggest issue with the RBS bonus cap is there is no data given on who would be paid the 200% bonuses, what position they are, how senior, what division and what their performance was at the bank.

If we were given that data, we could easily see if it was the correct decision or not but I suspect not if they've just said absolutely no one, under any circumstances, can have the usual bonus this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lor771
Yet doctors get a fraction of that for saving lives.

Doctors save lives. Bankers keep the system running, I think I know which is more important.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Doctors save lives. Bankers keep the system running, I think I know which is more important.

Doctors. If the banks pumped the money into the economy maybe we'd be in a better state.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Doctors. If the banks pumped the money into the economy maybe we'd be in a better state.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if srs
Original post by Mutleybm1996

Posted from TSR Mobile

But without the bankers the doctors wouldn't be in a job.
And pumping money into the economy causes inflation, it doesn't necessarily fix the economy.
Reply 30
Original post by Jammy Duel
But without the bankers the doctors wouldn't be in a job.
And pumping money into the economy causes inflation, it doesn't necessarily fix the economy.

Doctors existed before banks even existed so that isn't true.
After Clegg denied RBS the permission to increase bonuses to base + 200%, it got thinking that it was very unfair. Why should premier league footballers be allowed to get paid extortionate amounts of income (£300k/week) + rising? Whereas hard-working people such as bankers who have to work excessive hours have to suffer a pay cut.

The free-market justifies bankers huge bonuses similarly to how it justifies footballers wages. So isn't it discrimination against the Banking industry? What are your opinions on bonuses for bankers being capped?

I'd urge you to take an objective approach.

No because we don't have to give money to the football clubs if we don't want to. But you try not giving money to the banks, you can't get a job or rent a house without a bank account, let alone get a mortgage or anything else required to function in our society. That's not even mentioning the fact that taxpayers' money is used to bail them out and people's money is being devalued all the time by quantitative easing.
Reply 32
Original post by Dr.Psych
I've got news for you pal, the very fact that the government seems to take a similar perspective to you and 'don't give a flying ****' about recruitment and retention in crucial public services is part of the reason the NHS is bleeding talent at a rate not seen since the 80's. Me and plenty of my colleagues are planning on leaving, or have already left the NHS, taking our services to the private sector. The NHS has lost so many A&E consultants that half the staff working in such a specialty in Victoria, Australia trained in the UK or Ireland. The NHS is recruiting nurses from the Phillipines in droves again, and many Psychologists, SALTs and Physiotherapists I know are now working in the private sector, leaving inexperienced, burnt out clinicians to try and hold what's left of NHS community services together.

The fact that these bonuses directly contributed toward the high risk culture that led to the crash of the economy highlights how the 'market' has become broken in banking, and how it isn't considered enough when recruiting and retaining professionals in the public sector. People in the NHS, civil service and other public bodies can take their skills elsewhere; it is a market economy and if you don't respect them enough, they leave. That's the 'real world'.

Yet our hospitals continue to run just fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Incidentally, is "add value" just Newspeak for "make profits"? I've heard this phrase a lot lately among spivvy types and haven't quite been able to pin it down
After Clegg denied RBS the permission to increase bonuses to base + 200%, it got thinking that it was very unfair. Why should premier league footballers be allowed to get paid extortionate amounts of income (£300k/week) + rising? Whereas hard-working people such as bankers who have to work excessive hours have to suffer a pay cut.

The free-market justifies bankers huge bonuses similarly to how it justifies footballers wages. So isn't it discrimination against the Banking industry? What are your opinions on bonuses for bankers being capped?

I'd urge you to take an objective approach.

Great news, they'll have to set up intricate share schemes and trusts they don't themselves understand to keep paying themselves the bonuses, therefore I get some of it.

In terms of RBS, they are being stopped by their majority shareholder, who happen to be the government, the same thing would happen at Barclays if Standard Life were majority rather than just a major shareholder. If the banks don't like this then they shouldn't have written their own Articles that way, their own faults. It's the same as companies which go on AIM, get external investors then the orginal shareholders get in a strop about the fact their own Articles means they have to get the shareholders to approve certain things, such as all payments to directors (others are legally constrained), boo hoo, should have thought about that at the time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by scrotgrot
No because we don't have to give money to the football clubs if we don't want to. But you try not giving money to the banks, you can't get a job or rent a house without a bank account, let alone get a mortgage or anything else required to function in our society. That's not even mentioning the fact that taxpayers' money is used to bail them out and people's money is being devalued all the time by quantitative easing.

The first part of this post didn't even make sense, what were you trying to say?

That's the governments / BoE problem with Quantitative easing. After the collapse, banks were bogged down with all these regulatory controls and the threat of economic uncertainty. It's no wonder they chose to invest in government bonds, that doesn't make them bad and evil.
Original post by crayz
Doctors existed before banks even existed so that isn't true.

But today in the modern era it is true, how do you think the NHS finances itself and restructures debt? How do you think it manages capital/cash flow in an effective way etc...

Oh yeah, investment banks do that.

However, what IBs can't do is save the NHS from the truly atrocious management.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
But today in the modern era it is true, how do you think the NHS finances itself and restructures debt? How do you think it manages capital/cash flow in an effective way etc...

Oh yeah, investment banks do that.

However, what IBs can't do is save the NHS from the truly atrocious management.

Posted from TSR Mobile

By having a government that gives them money... how is that in anyway associated with banks?
Original post by scrotgrot
Incidentally, is "add value" just Newspeak for "make profits"? I've heard this phrase a lot lately among spivvy types and haven't quite been able to pin it down

Add value can mean a lot of things including making profits.

But it can also mean building relationships, solving an issue for a client, executing a successful deal, bringing in new clients, showing them new ways of doing things, structuring innovative finance deals etc.

Basically anything that makes the bank money (or will make it money in future) but also helps the client do something they wouldn't have been able to do otherwise (like float on the stock exchange through an IPO for example).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
RBS is an example, the government didn't bail out all banks. There is a government initiative to cap bonuses for bankers whereas other industries (Such as Football) are not being targeted.

The government bailed out several banks, the only one they chose to vote for a cap on bonuses was RBS. The reason for this is that RBS is still undergoing restructuring, and hasn't fully recovered, and they deemed that the risk was too great to allow 200% bonuses this year.

It is not some 'unfair' gesture, or some government initiative, it's a sensible business move that has only been instigated in one of the several banks that the government would have had the power to instigate this in.

Finally, while I'm sure many people would be upset at the collapse of a football team because of excessive wages, very few people would have their livelihoods ripped to shreds, and have all of their life savings chucked down the drain. However, if a bank collapsed this would be the case. There is, therefore, a much bigger moral and societal imperative in ensuring the financial sector is regulating its risk than there is in ensuring that a football club doesn't go bust. Your argument is void - although I suspect you knew this already and are just trying for an argument.

You're either trolling, or haven't bothered to read to the end of the news story.

Doctors are hired by the public sector :lol: They have monopsony power and decide doctors wage rates, regardless of what the free-market equilibrium would suggest.

Unfortunately for the bankers at RBS, the tax payer is a more than 80% stake holder in their business and effectively owns their asses, just like doctors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending