The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Icecream1
Seriously tight game tonight. I hope Atleti get through, an all Spainish, all Madrid final.

Both sides are going to park the bus but there is more onus on Chelsea to attack because if home advantage.

You are right but that doesn't necessarily mean Chelsea will attack. As much as I dislike Mourinho's tactics the last 2 clean sheets are to be admired but I think keeping another one might be too much to ask. The longer this match goes without a goal, the more nervous the crowd will get and I think that will benefit Atletico.

My prediction is 1-1.
Original post by pane123
You are right but that doesn't necessarily mean Chelsea will attack. As much as I dislike Mourinho's tactics the last 2 clean sheets are to be admired but I think keeping another one might be too much to ask. The longer this match goes without a goal, the more nervous the crowd will get and I think that will benefit Atletico.

My prediction is 1-1.

I think the first goal will decide it, 1-0 hopefully to Atleti!
Reply 4982
I'd rather face Chelsea than Atletico. Chelsea will sit very deep and be hard to break down, but Atleti chase the ball down and that's a lot harder to play against. Besides, our defenders are quick enough to cope with a counter-attack and Carlo is no tactical novice. We also have 2 players (Ronaldo and Bale) who can score from 30 yards. No defensive formation can prepare you for that.
Original post by tengentoppa
I'd rather face Chelsea than Atletico. Chelsea will sit very deep and be hard to break down, but Atleti chase the ball down and that's a lot harder to play against. Besides, our defenders are quick enough to cope with a counter-attack and Carlo is no tactical novice. We also have 2 players (Ronaldo and Bale) who can score from 30 yards. No defensive formation can prepare you for that.

I agree. Bayern are missing what a player like Messi offered Pep's Barca team and would be so much better if they had a player capable of the individual brilliance guys like Ronaldo and Bale are capable of.
If its a Real-Chelsea final, it might be the first final in a long, long time where I dont tune in. Cant stomach either of them winning it, hopefully Atleti do the business tonight.
Original post by tengentoppa

I agree. Wanted Bayern to win for this reason. Oh well.
If Atletico win the Champs League and Benfica win the Europa League I will be £6,060 better off. Who wants to be that I end up with £0?
Reply 4988
Come on Atletico Madrid! Hold on pleaseeeeee..
Original post by jit987
Come on Atletico Madrid! Hold on pleaseeeeee..

Thank God. £170 on Chelsea to qualify leaves me in a no lose situation. COME ON ATLETI!!!
I see reports coming out now that the Alves banana incident was planned with the help of a marketing agency. They didn't plan the throwing but they planned the response the next time it happened. Shame it wasn't off the cuff, but still got a great response.
Reply 4991
GOL GOL GOL

MouMou where's your tactics now?
Would love to see the look of those Chelsea fans faces who thought atletico would be an easy opponent. (Not saying that was anyone on TSR)
Reply 4993
Original post by Fizzel
I see reports coming out now that the Alves banana incident was planned with the help of a marketing agency. They didn't plan the throwing but they planned the response the next time it happened. Shame it wasn't off the cuff, but still got a great response.

I heard this as well and from what I've read, it's only been reported widely in the Brazilian media but surely the guy being a Villareal member debukes this. He has also been arrested.
(edited 10 years ago)
First ever local derby to be a Champions League final? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway, the Madrid-Lisbon route (air, road, rail) will be busy on May 23/24/25
Reply 4995
Atletico proved why they top La Liga. Played Chelsea off the park in the second half.

Its easy isn't it, MouMou, when you dont have to attack? Theres a reason why you've lost 4 semis in a row. Ironically the year you dont manage Real Madrid they make the final. 6 defenders in your starting line up AT HOME when you need to score clearly hasnt worked has it? No tophies for 2 seasons. Who's the expert in failure now?

Diego Simeone is ten times the manager Mourinho ever will be.

Cannot wait for the final.
Reply 4996
Original post by shawn_o1
First ever local derby to be a Champions League final? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway, the Madrid-Lisbon route (air, road, rail) will be busy on May 23/24/25

Yes, its the first time 2 teams from the same city have ever met in a CL final.
Reply 4997
Original post by 419
I heard this as well and from what I've read, it's only been reported widely in the Brazilian media but surely the guy being a Villareal member debukes this. He has also been arrested.

They don't mean that the whole banana throw has been planned, just that Alves and Neymar planned this reaction for the next time they were going to get racially abused after the Espanyol match.

Doesn't take anything away from it. It was about time someone planned something strategically, as all complaints and statements about this to date have led to nothing - the highlight was probably the non-reaction after Atléti's monkey chants against Marcelo. Alves has been abused ever since he moved to Spain, so it's only understandable if he planned something, especially now with the king of social media attention Neymar around.

In fact it's sad that AS write more about the alleged planning of this now than about the actual racism issue itself. Takes the attention away from the actual problem.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4998
Been said before, but the guy looks like a Mafia boss, and his players are his thugs:

Original post by RD208
Atletico proved why they top La Liga. Played Chelsea off the park in the second half.

Its easy isn't it, MouMou, when you dont have to attack? Theres a reason why you've lost 4 semis in a row. Ironically the year you dont manage Real Madrid they make the final. 6 defenders in your starting line up AT HOME when you need to score clearly hasnt worked has it? No tophies for 2 seasons. Who's the expert in failure now?

Diego Simeone is ten times the manager Mourinho ever will be.

Cannot wait for the final.

Well put. Simeone is an amazing coach. I hope he stays at Atletico but I think an elite club will come in for him. If I were on the Barcelona board I'd look to get him in to replace Martino.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest