The Student Room Group

Why do women cry so much compared to men?

Inspired by : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2674242

Almost every girl in that thread has cried at least once in the last 24 hrs. Why do you cry so much , girls? And most of the time it's out of the blue for no reason. Very awkward for guys who are around you at the time since they can't identify at all. Can you explain it? Because this is what guys are thinking:

Scroll to see replies

well that part of women's brain is more developed than men's.

Same with Men for spacial awareness.

Can't remember the names of those parts of the brain though.
Reply 2
Since when did the "women" of TSR reflect the norm in the population?
More prolactin.
Biological set-up and also, social norms. Men and boys who cry can get made fun of pretty easily
Reply 5
attention
Because we're always telling men they aren't allowed to cry
I don't know. I had a different upbringing to most western girls and I used to think that it was because they were more spoiled lol... but then I went on the pill and I seemed to cry about everything too... I didn't even feel any more sad than I did before, just felt like crying at a smaller whim.

& as soon as I went off the pill, it stopped again.

I don't think I can explain it in any more detail than "it's hormonal".
Hormones, mine are whack but usually I cry for a reason and not even that often to be honest :smile:
Men usually repress their emotions because of social conventions. I sometimes really really want to smile and be playful with someone, or cry on their shoulders but I feel agitated in case I break the 'rules'. :frown:
Estrogen.
Interestingly, both genders cry the same amount up until puberty. From then on, women cry on average four times more often than men, and for longer.

That would suggest the difference is hormonal.
Reply 12
Original post by Liquid Swordsman
Because we're always telling men they aren't allowed to cry

I grew up in a culture where men often kiss when greeting each other and can cry without any shame. Women still cry 10 times more. How come?
Reply 13
Yeah it's really odd. Women are just very moody and hysterical.
Reply 14
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Interestingly, both genders cry the same amount up until puberty. From then on, women cry on average four times more often than men, and for longer.

That would suggest the difference is hormonal.

As a kid I never associated crying with being ''a girl thing''. I remember falling off my bike , hurting myself and getting ready to cry as I usually would but I simply didn't. I just thought to myself what's the point? It was really weird. I didn't feel the need to. Rarely ever cried from then on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Social constructs
Original post by UncelDolan
Inspired by : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2674242

Almost every girl in that thread has cried at least once in the last 24 hrs.

Hey, I replied to that thread and I haven't cried once in the last 24 hours! What you just said is so piss taking!
Reply 17
Original post by Stinkum
Yeah it's really odd. Women are just very moody and hysterical.

Have you had the crying after sex thing? That's probably the most ****ed up type of crying. Da***, man, da***?
Original post by UncelDolan
As a kid I never associated crying with being ''a girl thing''. I remember falling off my bike , hurting myself and getting ready to cry as I usually would but I simply didn't. I just thought to myself what's the point? It was really weird.

I reached a point about aged 11/12 when I just stopped crying much. I got angry instead.

Also recently I went through a pretty bad break-up, and didn't cry at all. It was bizarre.
This thread is kinda sexist tbh. :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest