The Student Room Group

Can someone please tell me what the mark scheme is saying? *read description box*

English IGCSE mark scheme: Ignore any extra information given unless it contradicts the correct answer, in which case no mark should be awarded.

What do they mean by that? Say I wrote the correct answer and included some extra information which is relevant to the answer, will I end up getting a zero?

Please answer and thanx in advance!
Original post by Anne james
English IGCSE mark scheme: Ignore any extra information given unless it contradicts the correct answer, in which case no mark should be awarded.

What do they mean by that? Say I wrote the correct answer and included some extra information which is relevant to the answer, will I end up getting a zero?

Please answer and thanx in advance!

'Contradicts the correct answer' means something that directly goes against the right answer. So say (for the point of argument, I know this isn't a science exam but I don't know much about english) you wrote "Black surfaces absorb more infrared radiation than white surfaces so a white surface should be used to maximise heat absorption in a solar panel", the first thing written is correct but the second part directly goes against what you've said in the first part, so you'd get no marks.

If you've included extra information that is relevant (and correct) then it's not contradictory and you won't lose marks.
Original post by Chlorophile
'Contradicts the correct answer' means something that directly goes against the right answer. So say (for the point of argument, I know this isn't a science exam but I don't know much about english) you wrote "Black surfaces absorb more infrared radiation than white surfaces so a white surface should be used to maximise heat absorption in a solar panel", the first thing written is correct but the second part directly goes against what you've said in the first part, so you'd get no marks.

If you've included extra information that is relevant (and correct) then it's not contradictory and you won't lose marks.

Thank yoouuu soo much:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending