The Student Room Group

Did you get beaten as a kid?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Whenever I'd do something stupid yes, most of the time with the hand lol. Once I started secondary school my parents were a bit more lenient with me by just yelling at me. I think it can be good discipline.
Original post by lilangel217
Extension cord wire.
Never heard that one before :rofl:

And no, chappals are painful, kay ?

Those heavy rubber chappals and the sotis though :cry2:

Hahaahahahahhahahahaahahahahaha
A good beating a few times a week is a good thing.
Original post by Jokerjon
Chappal lol il'd rather got beaten with that than a belt or extension cord wire!

Bruv have you ever been at he wrath of one of those roti rollers, you have not felt pain
My mum says she once hit me (I don't remember). I had done something dangerous like run across a road when I was about 4. She was frightened and wanted to protect me from doing anything like that again. She asked me to hold out my hands and then she spanked them very hard. She said she always regretted because I looked so hurt and confused. She felt that she had betrayed my trust. She never hit me again.

My parents have always dealt with bad behaviour by making me feel remorseful for my actions. If I was ever really bad this would be banishment to my bedroom to calm down and think about what's more important - being cross or saying sorry and making things up.

Since I can remember I've agreed with most/all of my parents values and I would feel ashamed if I treated them badly. That's the best discipline imo. I would not use violence against my children if I could help it. Respect is different to fear - they can co-exist, and I don't think parents who do use fear of violence (within non-abusive limits) are bad parents, I just think it's not how I'd like to go about things.
If you slap them with justification eg bad behaviour and explain why what they did is wrong, it is very effective, eg not to steal or swear etc.
I know many people who became good through strict parenting like that. Its not abuse, you can ask the kids if it is. It's only abuse if its for no reason and over the top, one light slap does good than bad.
Instill discipline from a young age, especially useful for single mums, otherwise the child has a high risk they will grow up to be a 6ft 4 chav and have no respect to anyone.
Original post by farrisraza
Bruv have you ever been at he wrath of one of those roti rollers, you have not felt pain

Haha :rofl:
I did when i was little, only when i did something really naughty though, which wasn't very often :angel:
Ooh, another of these threads.

Yes, was beaten as a kid.

No, wouldn't be hitting my kids.
Original post by Jiffyboob
Anytime I did something stupid, I did get a good slap across the face haha. But the worst one was when my mum threw a saucer at my head

Good grief. That's child abuse.
Man.. I don't even want to remember it. Them times when you knew a beating was coming and you just had to get in that mind frame of trying to firm it. I swear though.. made me a more respectful kid (in comparison to some of my friends).

When I tried to fight back one time vs my dad, I was left homeless for a couple hours :lol:. This was a looooooooong time ago.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Man.. I don't even want to remember it. Them times when you knew a beating was coming and you just had to get in that mind frame of trying to firm it. I swear though.. made me a more respectful kid (in comparison to some of my friends).

When I tried to fight back one time vs my dad, I was left homeless for a couple hours :lol:. This was a looooooooong time ago.

Lool never try to fight back my mum would chappa me threaten to send me back home she would use a wooden spoon or a pilau spoon
My Mum used to slap me, chase me, everything you can think of (just not using a weapon lol). We all laugh looking back on it now.

My Dad is white and so much more meek in that area. I was more afraid of my Dad for that reason. He would speak to me sternly and I'd behave. The slaps never really worked with me. I had much more respect for my Dad when it came to misbehaving whilst growing up.
Original post by chocolatesauce
Haha :rofl:

I
I cried so much that day :frown:
Yes and it made my childhood hell. I'm bringing my kids up up with constructive discipline as beating them gets you nowhere.
Original post by farrisraza
I
I cried so much that day :frown:

Awww :hugs: I only laughed because it's such an Asian thing to do :lol:
Reply 37
Original post by the mezzil
A good beating a few times a week is a good thing.

:lolwut: good for what?raising a future serial-killer?

---------------------------------------------------
I got slapped once by my mother-think I must've been around 7.That's literally it.
My parents never really did anything else...which is quite surprising,considering what a horrible brat I was.
Reply 38
A good smack never did any ill. Knowing me, I know I'd be a monster if my parents hadn't smacked me for misbehaving. (We're talking someone who'd bang his own head against the wall if he felt that would get him what he wanted)
Reply 39
Yep. Not beaten per se, but definitely hit when I was disobedient, which was rare since I didn't like the consequences. It's helped shape me into who I am today. I know my priorities and I know wrong from right unlike many modern teens. Although lots of people call it abuse, it's more discipline. And it's a cultural thing also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest