The Student Room Group

AS OCR History - Churchill 1920-1945 F963/02

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arsenalfc97
I would also have a look at Churchill's relationship with the Grand Alliance before the exam tomorrow since it's quite a big topic and they've only ever asked about FDR. I doubt they'd do a question only on de gaulle but you never know so at least learn something. For example, when Churchill invited De Gaulle to Casablanca conference in January 1943 he initially rejected showing tension. Another example showing tension is when De Gaulle was very unhappy that free french forces weren't used during the occupation of Madagascar in May 1942, and only British forces were used as De Gaulle feared British intentions. So if there's a source suggesting strained relationship between Churchill and De Gaulle, you can use this to show that own knowledge does back up the source and hence it could be seen as credible due to it bit typical to an extent. If the source was suggesting that the relationship was all bad though and there was no constructive element then you could attack the source as there were times when De Gaulle and Churchill showed co-operation. For example, the joint British and free french invasion of Dakar in September 1940 called 'operation Menace' even though it was unsuccessful as the french forces didn't rally behind de Gaulle as expected and stayed loyal to the Vichy leader petain.. You could also talk about Churchill having to balance his relationship with De Gaulle as FDR saw De Gaulle as a nuisance for various reasons such as 'operation menace' which angered FDR as he saw no reason to support the 'free' french over Vichy france as he wanted to cultivate any potential Nazi opponent of which Vichy France could be one.They were particularly useful due to their strong navy. This meant that by co-operating with de Gaulle, Churchill risked alienating FDR.
You would never use this much own knowledge by itself in an answer bear in mind. The answer is source led and own knowledge is just a means of extending the debate arising from the sources.

Wow, that's some nice detail, thanks!!
What stuff do you know about India as I struggle with that topic and am unsure of how much detail you need??

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is going to be my worst exam!
How did everyone find it??

The hardest Churchill paper there has been IMO. Question b was so awkwardly worded!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cjslions

The hardest Churchill paper there has been IMO. Question b was so awkwardly worded!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

awful
awful

Everyone in my year found it so hard!!!
It was so awkward :// I hate OCR!

Hopefully the grade boundaries will be REALLY low!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought it was a nice paper to be fair, I'm retaking and I found last year a lot more difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cjslions

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree by far the hardest paper they have given in my opinon so unfair. For question b what did you guys put for agree and disagree. Im probaly wrong as i found that most of the sources disagreed and that it wasnt very clear what source agreed. I put a and d for agree and the rest for disagree However again im probally wrong
If you only answer four out of the five sources but did everything else what is the max mark you can get?!
Original post by chlodobaggins
I thought it was a nice paper to be fair, I'm retaking and I found last year a lot more difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what groups diid you put the sources into for b?
I agree, this was quite a hard paper. it was hard to write about the issue, even if you know what it was about. i put all the sources agree that with the interpretation, except C and D i think. I guess you had to define reality, that Stalins army was in Europe already so nothing could be done except bluffing him into giving maximum control to Britain in places like Greece.. What did you guys write?
Original post by AdilMalikN
I agree, this was quite a hard paper. it was hard to write about the issue, even if you know what it was about. i put all the sources agree that with the interpretation, except C and D i think. I guess you had to define reality, that Stalins army was in Europe already so nothing could be done except bluffing him into giving maximum control to Britain in places like Greece.. What did you guys write?

a lot of rubbish. Source B definitely didn't suggest he was realistic though
I thought you had to say what realistic meant...

it was hard cos so many of the sources were from Churchill...

I wonder how the Hallam guy who started this thread last year found the paper he did...oh well onwards and upwards

Good luck for the rest of your exams
a lot of rubbish. Source B definitely didn't suggest he was realistic though

I guess they will except it as long as you explain why. B suggests that Stalin was in power and was a dictator and thats they only way he could be dealt with as Stalin puts a tick at the end, which means he gets it. Thats what i wrote :/
I guess they will except it as long as you explain why. B suggests that Stalin was in power and was a dictator and thats they only way he could be dealt with as Stalin puts a tick at the end, which means he gets it. Thats what i wrote :/

source B was the modern historian going on about how percentages agreement meant nothing. it was source A mentioning the tick
Original post by anonymousp
I thought you had to say what realistic meant...

it was hard cos so many of the sources were from Churchill...

I wonder how the Hallam guy who started this thread last year found the paper he did...oh well onwards and upwards

Good luck for the rest of your exams

Yeah thats what i did, define the reality.....
And yes i agree too many of Churchill made it hard to pick out major differences
source B was the modern historian going on about how percentages agreement meant nothing. it was source A mentioning the tick

Oh, sorry then, thats what i meant got them mixed up...
How did you go about this?

I found B hard...i mentioned that even though it confirmed the reality Churchill shows in his sources, it also says that me understood then incorrectly and dealt with Stalin wrongly

I think i kindov said that B was for and against a little..
I said that sources A, C, D and most of E supported the idea he was realistic, with only B and a little of E refuting it.
Original post by elephant999
I said that sources A, C, D and most of E supported the idea he was realistic, with only B and a little of E refuting it.

D could've been seen as unrealistic because he was asking Stalin not to have total control of Poland which in April 1945 was very unrealistic as the red army was in control of Poland and the Lublin Pole government had been set up.
D could've been seen as unrealistic because he was asking Stalin not to have total control of Poland which in April 1945 was very unrealistic as the red army was in control of Poland and the Lublin Pole government had been set up.

I saw Source D as being realistic of the need to engraciate himself towards Stalin, as it was necessary, which was backed up by Source C's mention that of the "need to maintain relations with the USSR".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending