The Student Room Group

AQA ELLA 1 & 2 revision!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OllieeW
I thought the question was a treat, i portrayed Stella to be confused and guilty, i structured the letter to keep swapping between her guilt and regret for sending Blanche away and then the fact she actually did the right thing with everyone being much happier with Blanche's departure. It wasnt the best question but it sure wasnt the worst, just hope we all get good marks ey!

No , I was talking about the first part as the question was about how Stanley's relationship with his friends.
Reply 101
Original post by Chrystal43
Hi i pointed out that Keller was saying one thing to hide his guilt and then changing the subject when the conversation was getting heated and that Kate helped to change the subject to another topic as they both know Keller was guilty. I wrote about the part where Keller says was Ann sent here to find out something as he knows he is guilty and covers this deception with telling Chris her wants to build him a house etc. He feels that Chris is ashamed of the money from the business and changes subject to hide deception when he notices Chris from the stage directions that he is getting angry. Keller covers this up with the house subject as he does not want to lose Chris and keep him in the business.

It sounds like you did very well, it seems so obvious now that you've pointed all that out :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by FahiimaAkhtar
Was anyone allowed to take their books in them for section B?

No it's a closed book exam so no books

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by praiseob
No it's a closed book exam so no books

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL we never been told this until the day of the exam whilst we were doing the exam:frown:
It was just sooo bad. His 'deceptive nature' wasn't something that was easily explained in that scene. What he was saying was what he meant but the reason behind it was different and you can't really analyse reasoning through speech...I just found it really difficult but I think I did really well on section A so let's just hope

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel so let down. Read All My Sons 5 times. Was not prepared at all! Got to pray the examiners are high on the day they mark it!!! :mad:
I pretty sure you're meant to write in an essay format? What do you mean? I've got Ella 3 as well and when I've practiced the essay they've always been in an essay format...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I remeber now I did an introduction and conclusion but the middle parts I cannot remember much as the clock was ticking and I was trying to keep wrtiting to up the word count. I think I used indenting a couple of times and other times just started another topic on seperate line. But no line spacing at all between paragraphs. Wish tutor had told me this for exam as practise essay are written properly with paragraphs.

Really not sure now how much this will affect the marks. I struggled a little with part A and did not know where to really start discussing the topic.

Anyone else with my problem?
Reply 106
Original post by ILikeBoats
I feel so let down. Read All My Sons 5 times. Was not prepared at all! Got to pray the examiners are high on the day they mark it!!! :mad:

So do I! Hopefully they are lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
Original post by Chrystal43
Hi, I remeber now I did an introduction and conclusion but the middle parts I cannot remember much as the clock was ticking and I was trying to keep wrtiting to up the word count. I think I used indenting a couple of times and other times just started another topic on seperate line. But no line spacing at all between paragraphs. Wish tutor had told me this for exam as practise essay are written properly with paragraphs.

Really not sure now how much this will affect the marks. I struggled a little with part A and did not know where to really start discussing the topic.

Anyone else with my problem?

I'm sure it won't affect it too much, as long as you had everything in there I'm sure it'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure it won't affect it too much, as long as you had everything in there I'm sure it'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I hope so too. I will be worried till mid August now.
Guys let's all do drugs to this sort of music! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN2AdOjI4FI

No more AS ENGLISH WOOOOOOOOO! :biggrin:
Anyone doing measure for measure for ella2 ? I'm so screwed I know nothing!
I did measure for measure last year for ELLA2, if you need any specific help, I can try and help you!
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
I did measure for measure last year for ELLA2, if you need any specific help, I can try and help you!

Yes please! Do you have any advice for revision ? Or any revision material still lurking around that I could borrow? Any help tbh will be greatly appreciated xx
Aww okay! For revision I suggest learning a few quotes for each character, even the minor ones like whatshisface elbow :P, as its a closed book exam, so have brief quotes like 'O you beast!' for Isabella (literally the only one I remember). Also I recommend getting the York notes on measure for measure, I used it and it was really helpful! It should be on eBay and amazon :smile: xx
Aww okay! For revision I suggest learning a few quotes for each character, even the minor ones like whatshisface elbow :P, as its a closed book exam, so have brief quotes like 'O you beast!' for Isabella (literally the only one I remember). Also I recommend getting the York notes on measure for measure, I used it and it was really helpful! It should be on eBay and amazon :smile: xx

Thank you so much you're a life saver! Do you have any tips for writing the exam ?
Aw you're welcome! Haha hope I helped! For writing the exam, i'd just say its important to plan your essay and make sure that there's a relevant point in each paragraph to the question. Also, if the question asks about one character, make comparisons with another character, again only if it is relevant to the question, so sometimes the question may say 'write about blah blah and ONE other scene from the play.' Depending upon the question i.e if it's about the characters attitude, use a scene where it's contrasting the characters attitude, like say it's Isabella, at some points in the play she's really assertive when trying to be a nun, and towards the Duke's proposal or whatever it was, whereas in other scenes she's quite modest and submissive. If a question like that comes up, try and find one that has a huge contrast because that's easy to compare.
MOST IMPORTANTLY:Remember to discuss the representations of speech and dramatic techniques!!! That's what this section of the exam is on, so make sure you include analysis of things like stage directions, hyperbole, interrogatives, props, music, declaratives, exclamatives, aside, monologue etc.
Hope it helped & good luck!
Aw you're welcome! Haha hope I helped! For writing the exam, i'd just say its important to plan your essay and make sure that there's a relevant point in each paragraph to the question. Also, if the question asks about one character, make comparisons with another character, again only if it is relevant to the question, so sometimes the question may say 'write about blah blah and ONE other scene from the play.' Depending upon the question i.e if it's about the characters attitude, use a scene where it's contrasting the characters attitude, like say it's Isabella, at some points in the play she's really assertive when trying to be a nun, and towards the Duke's proposal or whatever it was, whereas in other scenes she's quite modest and submissive. If a question like that comes up, try and find one that has a huge contrast because that's easy to compare.
MOST IMPORTANTLY:Remember to discuss the representations of speech and dramatic techniques!!! That's what this section of the exam is on, so make sure you include analysis of things like stage directions, hyperbole, interrogatives, props, music, declaratives, exclamatives, aside, monologue etc.
Hope it helped & good luck!

Thank you so much xxx you're so helpful and a life saver ! 😊
It's my pleasure! Hope revision goes well+let me know how the exam went! xxxx
Reply 118
It's my pleasure! Hope revision goes well+let me know how the exam went! xxxx

This has been so helpful - thank you! I've got my ELLA2 on Measure for Measure next Tuesday and have just started revision - SO SO NERVOUS:'( Is there anything else you can suggest to help me with revision? Like perhaps how to come up with possible questions so I can plan lots of different essays? Or perhaps a list of quotes you might use for each character?

OR ANY HELP FROM ANYONE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED AS I'M PANICKING AND DON'T KNOW ANYTHING :smile: Also any advice for section A would be good too...

Many thanks, and good luck everyone:smile:
Original post by evekay
This has been so helpful - thank you! I've got my ELLA2 on Measure for Measure next Tuesday and have just started revision - SO SO NERVOUS:'( Is there anything else you can suggest to help me with revision? Like perhaps how to come up with possible questions so I can plan lots of different essays? Or perhaps a list of quotes you might use for each character?

OR ANY HELP FROM ANYONE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED AS I'M PANICKING AND DON'T KNOW ANYTHING :smile: Also any advice for section A would be good too...

Many thanks, and good luck everyone:smile:

Aw you're more than welcome! Glad it helped. I think the best way is simply to memorise quotes for each character- that way it makes it easier to analyse them if they come up because you can use quotes that describe them i.e Angelo (I think) will only let Isabella's brother free if they have intercourse, can't remember the quote but remembering little things like that gives you deeper insight into the character. I'm not sure about the questions to be honest, have a look at the AQA ELLA2 Paper from last year that I did and reword it for each character if that helps.

Obviously I havent done MFM since last year as i'm in A2, so I can't remember fully, but I do recommend buying the York Notes for it;helped me a lot!

For section A - do an intro paragraph where you outline the Context of the two texts; the audience; the form; and the purpose. Also, don't just feature spot, try to find good, hidden things that you can analyse in the texts, something that isn't so obvious. Also, use terminology like interrogatives, personal pronoun, elision, colloquialisms, onomatopoeia, rule of three, diexis etc. You can't get into the higher bands without using terminology. Saying that I only got a B in ELLA2 :frown: but yeah if you need any more help ask meeeeeee:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending