The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 2 May 16th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HannahRudd-19
Well...

I thought LAST years paper was horrendous. I didn't revise for my mock, so I ended up with a C.

I bloody well hope I've got a C after that paper

I've never made up so many fieldwork techniques in my life

OUR ACTUAL FIELDTRIP WASNT RELEVANT TO THE 15 MARKERS SO I HAD TO APPLY A CASE STUDY TO THE QUESTION AND THINK OF WHAT I WOULD DO!!!!!!!

SO MAD

The exact same happened to me for the fieldwork question!! I can't believe how bad that paper was!!
Original post by a.hayer
last year was only 50/70 for a A!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I stayed up until 2am in the morning revising this and now you're telling me I could potentially drop 20 marks and have it overlooked?
Original post by robinson96
I didnt think the exam was too bad :smile: the coasts questions were really nice, the only really bad one was the rebranding fieldwork - we haven't done presenting and analysis at my school! Everyone completely winged it :frown:

One question (and I sounds like a total idiot)

will you be penalised if you didn't but a cross in the question box?
I answered all three questions in coasts and all three in rebranding but I forgot to tick the boxes saying I'd chosen those questions and I'm really panicking now

I did that too and I'm also really panicking!! :frown:
Original post by BenjKl
So the final question is how many people will be doing Geography in the A2 year? Personally, I will not unless by some magical spell I get an A, hehehehe

I believe Unit 4 is just one 70 mark question

You get given about 10 pages to write about whatever subject

I don't know about you but to me that sounds terrifying
Original post by iceangel8
Guys I'm confused about the Rebranding 15 marker! I didn't mention successes or any evaluation of my results as I took it as how my results were analysed and presented so combined the two and by analysis I just said I made detailed annotations to a picture I didn't think it was actually asking for an analysis of the results... oops but then I made up some good stuff about presentation how I layered it onto a GIS map and created a written report and fancy stuff like that ;D

You had to write about success to get in to the higher levels e.g. level 4. I did the GIS, putting census data on top, thing as well and then said I would take pictures and compare to pictures before rebranding found on internet. Fancy way of saying before and after pictures.

I should have talked about recording were tourist came from ad putting on map to see sphere of influence.

Did you use words like systematic and qualitative / quantitive
Original post by iceangel8
Yeah, COULD have mentioned :P doesn't help now! :smile: but sounds good I just talked about Eden Project and London transport rebranding with boris bikes and hybrid buses which are sustainable... meh :smile:

That should be enough, only meant to write 3-4 paragraphs for 10 markers anyway.
Original post by IrishBoyInLondon
I believe Unit 4 is just one 70 mark question

You get given about 10 pages to write about whatever subject

I don't know about you but to me that sounds terrifying

You get given a pre release which hints what question will come up. You have two months to plan various model answers and you pretty much regurgitate what you written before. It's more like 8 sides and much of it is common knowledge. It's easier than the exam you did today trust me.
Original post by ridwan12
You get given a pre release which hints what question will come up. You have two months to plan various model answers and you pretty much regurgitate what you written before. It's more like 8 sides and much of it is common knowledge. It's easier than the exam you did today trust me.

That's quite calming
How's Unit 3?
Reply 348
So... What did people say for the analysis and presentation rebranding question?

We had absolutely no preparation! As if discussing results and conclusions questions weren't bad enough.
So, I just thought I'd provide a break down of what I got for comparison purposes... My topics were crowded coasts and rebranding

2a. Conflicts of managed retreat

I wrote about the Holderness coast and how certain areas, such as Attic, are not being protected because they provide economic value to the council; however, the caravan sites and homeowners in the area are providing a conflict here as their property is at risk from rapid erosion from the sea. Whereas the council have paid for rock groynes at Mappleton due to the costs of replacing the bus route which runs through the village being higher than costs of protecting it (around £20 million)

B. Economic benifits & environmental costs

In Southend-on-Sea, the town has developed as a commuter town after de-industrialisation, as there is now a direct train link and arterial road to London, giving commuters a fast route to London. This has economic benefits as the towns only previous source of income was in the form of tourism, which was seasonal and went into decline in the 1970s due to cheap package holidays abroad

Environmental costs include the oil refinary, Grangemouth on the Firth of Fourth in Scotland which releases large amounts of metallic pollution and toxic waste into the Firth, in addition to large volumes of carbon emissions. This is particularly conflicting as there is an RSPC reserve site - Skinflats - on the same Firth, which requires environmental protection. That said, oil is a large economic interest for Scotland

c. Holderness Coast

Research method of using ordnance survey maps to assess how effective various coastal defence methods have been in reducing the rate of erosion by layering maps on top of each other using GIS for comparison
Another research method was looking into the archives of local newspapers, such as the Yorkshireman, in order to learn about any possible conflicts on the coast about defences, such as those at Attic.
For fieldwork, we spoke to a local expert from the Environmental Agency called Matt who told us about the importance of various coastal defence schemes such as the rock groynes at Mappleton which help reduce the impacts of longshore drift, but then also told us the unsuccessful impacts such as the reduction in sediment levels further down the coast, resulting in terminal ground syndrome
We then spoke to Brenda and Bill about the various conflicts within the area as they were residences in Hornsea, which is a largely protected area
Finally we used GPS to measure the current cliff face, which we then compared with ordnance survey maps from regular intervals from the point that each coastal defence scheme was employed, such as the beach nourishment at Hornsea in the 2000s

This is just vaguely remembering from my memory, I put other things, but they're the main points. I hope this helps. Rebranding should follow x
Original post by mamafrica
Am I the only one who did inequlity? haha

Me too, fieldwork and research unequal spaces question was awful!
Reply 351
Original post by Amanda096
I did that too and I'm also really panicking!! :frown:

no i did the same.After i walked out i realised this and went back.I told the examiation officer and she told me that they were gona look through them anyway and tick the right boxes for us.So dont worry!
Pretty much winged it with the 15 marker for rebranding too, it was 4a I struggled with.. I couldn't even decipher what the question wanted us to write so I think I ended up writing a whole lot of nothing -.-, anyway for the sustainability question did anyone write about New Islington (urban splash/ ancoats in Manchester)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And the Eden project?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rebranding

4a. The fforest was trying to reimage itself using sport to appeal to younger people, rather than the transitional older generations who seek rural areas for a tranquil experience. They used a sport rebrand. The Lake District also used MC Nuts to attract a younger audience, however this was unsuccessful

Birmingham is reimaging itself with flagship attractions which have no link with the industrial city. These are to attract families, mainly with young children, who will have a higher disposable income and will therefore contribute to a multiplier effect within the city

Hong Kong is using a cultural reimage to detract from its colony roots and establish itself with its cultural heritage, on order to attract a wider range of tourists (this last point is most likely wrong)

B. Analysis and display results

Glasgow

For our research we gained statistics such as the census data, scholastic reports and employment statistics from the Mitchell Library before and after particular rebranding strategies, which I displayed on a line graph - showing stats from the 1980s when the industrial industries closed down and 2010 after waterfront regeneration. This showed that Glasgow has successfully been able to create more tertiary and white-collar jobs after its successful waterfront regen. which features a Media City, as less jobs are available in its primary sector.
Another research method that we used was a land use survey around the waterfront which we put onto a landuse map. This showed that there was a successful regeneration of brownfield sites around the waterfront into flagship attractions such as the Hydro and the Armadillo, alongside the cultural Media City. However, there are signs of the council running out of money due to housing developments not being completed.
A final piece of research was the use of GIS to layer ordnance survey maps of the city to map development. For example the infrastructure such as the M17 (its actually the M8, I got this wrong) which runs through the city centre and the expansion of the central business district and the international financial district.
In terms of fieldwork, we carried out closed questionnaires which we displayed in a bar chart. These questions were mainly about the current sport rebrand for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. For example we asked "Are you aware of the current sporting rebrand occurring in Glasgow', in which 78% of our 30 participants from the general public answered "yes", demonstrating that Glasgow's sport rebrand is fairly successful

I wrote another fieldwork, but cannot remember it

C.

One sustainable rebrand is Curitiba in Brazil which has caused decreased volumes of traffic and congestion by cars through the use of public buses which are low cost, thus decreasing carbon emissions (this was a weak point)

Another sustainable rebrand is the flagship rural rebrand of the Eden Project in Cornwall. This project involves a multitude of national. Local and international players who are able to promote and help encourage the sustainable message that the project stands for. In addition, all of the products available in their shops and restaurants is from the local area, thus helping to reducing transportation emissions

Another project is the London 2012 Stratford sports rebrand which is going to be one of the most sustainable games ever. For example the main Olympic Park is on the site of a brownfield site which as been regenerated and the local river has been cleared of pollution, as well as many of the venues using renewable energy sources

(I rushed this question so it lacked details))

I hoped this helped people if they were unsure! Although I'm not sure if they're right myself x
Original post by Pistol 33
I talked about legacy facilities and ****. I messed up big time.

No you didn't. I talked about that too. I checked the book and that's right. So you did get marks for that. :smile:
I messed up
Original post by Jennaxeg
Pretty much winged it with the 15 marker for rebranding too, it was 4a I struggled with.. I couldn't even decipher what the question wanted us to write so I think I ended up writing a whole lot of nothing -.-, anyway for the sustainability question did anyone write about New Islington (urban splash/ ancoats in Manchester)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I presume that's the Cardroom Estate? I did. I talked about the energy effeciency. CHP. Power and heat supply. Extensive recycling facilities. And all that kinda crap lol as a paragraph then moved onto infrastructure and legacy facilities etc
Original post by HannahRudd-19
Rebranding

4a. The fforest was trying to reimage itself using sport to appeal to younger people, rather than the transitional older generations who seek rural areas for a tranquil experience. They used a sport rebrand. The Lake District also used MC Nuts to attract a younger audience, however this was unsuccessful

Birmingham is reimaging itself with flagship attractions which have no link with the industrial city. These are to attract families, mainly with young children, who will have a higher disposable income and will therefore contribute to a multiplier effect within the city

Hong Kong is using a cultural reimage to detract from its colony roots and establish itself with its cultural heritage, on order to attract a wider range of tourists (this last point is most likely wrong)

B. Analysis and display results

Glasgow

For our research we gained statistics such as the census data, scholastic reports and employment statistics from the Mitchell Library before and after particular rebranding strategies, which I displayed on a line graph - showing stats from the 1980s when the industrial industries closed down and 2010 after waterfront regeneration. This showed that Glasgow has successfully been able to create more tertiary and white-collar jobs after its successful waterfront regen. which features a Media City, as less jobs are available in its primary sector.
Another research method that we used was a land use survey around the waterfront which we put onto a landuse map. This showed that there was a successful regeneration of brownfield sites around the waterfront into flagship attractions such as the Hydro and the Armadillo, alongside the cultural Media City. However, there are signs of the council running out of money due to housing developments not being completed.
A final piece of research was the use of GIS to layer ordnance survey maps of the city to map development. For example the infrastructure such as the M17 (its actually the M8, I got this wrong) which runs through the city centre and the expansion of the central business district and the international financial district.
In terms of fieldwork, we carried out closed questionnaires which we displayed in a bar chart. These questions were mainly about the current sport rebrand for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. For example we asked "Are you aware of the current sporting rebrand occurring in Glasgow', in which 78% of our 30 participants from the general public answered "yes", demonstrating that Glasgow's sport rebrand is fairly successful

I wrote another fieldwork, but cannot remember it

C.

One sustainable rebrand is Curitiba in Brazil which has caused decreased volumes of traffic and congestion by cars through the use of public buses which are low cost, thus decreasing carbon emissions (this was a weak point)

Another sustainable rebrand is the flagship rural rebrand of the Eden Project in Cornwall. This project involves a multitude of national. Local and international players who are able to promote and help encourage the sustainable message that the project stands for. In addition, all of the products available in their shops and restaurants is from the local area, thus helping to reducing transportation emissions

Another project is the London 2012 Stratford sports rebrand which is going to be one of the most sustainable games ever. For example the main Olympic Park is on the site of a brownfield site which as been regenerated and the local river has been cleared of pollution, as well as many of the venues using renewable energy sources

(I rushed this question so it lacked details))

I hoped this helped people if they were unsure! Although I'm not sure if they're right myself x

I messed up on the 15 marker. I forgot to relate and use statistics... and RELATE back to my Urban area which was Lea Valley Stratford. I hardly talked about it and talked about the analysis that I did mostly :frown: Do you think Ill lose a lot of marks? I hope I don't. A bit worried about that.
Reply 359
Original post by DrDre.97
Me too, fieldwork and research unequal spaces question was awful!

How did you find the other 10 markers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending