The Student Room Group

Access to nursing course Edinburgh College

Hi Everyone
This is my first post and I hope someone can help, I am hoping to gain entry to the access to nursing course in September at Edinburgh college. I have my first interview next week and was wondering does anyone know what I will be asked, also if I am successful I will have my group interview for Napier uni. As far as I know I will need to write a essay on " The importance of communication in Nursing" does anyone have any usefull websites or links I should be looking at and is there a word limit to this?? The group interview consists of a photo which you have to describe to your group, can you tell me what they are looking for when you do this exercise and any tips that benefit me.

Thanks folks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi
I had to go to Sighthill campus last week for the information evening to hand in my references and qualifications. I now have my interview for the 1st May. Maybe you should give them a call if you have not heard anything yet.
Best of luck
Reply 2
you just basically hand in your references and your photocopies of previous qualifications. Then everyone sits down and they discuss the course and funding. You sign up for a interview and thats it. Have you got a personal statement written yet or do you have experience in care?
Reply 3
I work in a day care centre for learning disabled adults but its adult nursing I am applying for, Well you need to bring a personal statement with you to the first interview but I am confused as to weather it gets passed on to Napier or we do a separate one for Napier.
Reply 4
Hi
If you could find that out this evening that would be great as my interview is Wednesday so be good to know who I am writing for. I think it could be for Napier as we did a short personal profile in the application form for the access course. If they say it is for the first interview for the access course will you ask them can we use the same personal statement anyways or has to be completely different. Did you apply to Granton also or just Sighthill. Hopefully we get a place, tough competition. Thanks
Reply 5
Thanks for that so basically I just write one statement and thats it. I will be doing my interview first so ill be able to give u a heads up. I reallythink its tough competition for all. Dont stress.
Reply 6
Hi Guys,

Anyone else looking into accommodation I am coming from Dublin to do the conversion course in September Just trying to plan ahead and see what might be the best option ! :smile:
Reply 7
Hi
No not yet unless I geton the course. Look on gumtree, spareroom and easyroommates (I think) most people on these for accomadation. Good luck
Reply 8
Hi, I have just got my interview date for the access to nursing course at the sighthill campus and read somewhere that I will have to do a English and maths test is that right? Also I haven't been asked for a personal statement so should I type or hand write one? I am so nervous never in my life have I been so nervous lol x
Reply 9
hi there, just wondering is anyone had a literacy &numeracy test for access to Nursing at Middlesbrough college on 14 of May? have you heard any news form them regarding passed/failed test?
Reply 10
Original post by Juliemorr
Hi, I have just got my interview date for the access to nursing course at the sighthill campus and read somewhere that I will have to do a English and maths test is that right? Also I haven't been asked for a personal statement so should I type or hand write one? I am so nervous never in my life have I been so nervous lol x

Hi Julie
No you do not do any english or maths test for this interview. Did you go to the information evening they had on? they say you need to bring with you a personal statement. You will be in a group interview first and then you will write a essay. Try and not be nervous, participate as much as you can in the group. the whole process is only an hour.
Best of Luck
Reply 11
Original post by Lizzy15
Hi Julie
No you do not do any english or maths test for this interview. Did you go to the information evening they had on? they say you need to bring with you a personal statement. You will be in a group interview first and then you will write a essay. Try and not be nervous, participate as much as you can in the group. the whole process is only an hour.
Best of Luck

Hi lizzy yes i was at the information evening on tuesday 28th and i have my interview on the 4th of june. ive finished my personal statement but really struggling with the words i have to learn in relation to nursing :frown: sorry i took so long to reply but i didnt get a notification of your reply

Julie
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi Julie
Do you have your access to nursing interview at Sighthill college on the 4th? thats very late I did mine ages ago and I have my uni interview on the 18th. the words they want you to know will be used in a group interview. you will be paired with one other person and you will have to talk about one of the words, basically what the words means and the positives and negatives. Dont worry I thought I did rubbish and I have passed. just goggle each word in relation to health care and you ll be fine.
Reply 13
Original post by Lizzy15
Hi Julie
Do you have your access to nursing interview at Sighthill college on the 4th? thats very late I did mine ages ago and I have my uni interview on the 18th. the words they want you to know will be used in a group interview. you will be paired with one other person and you will have to talk about one of the words, basically what the words means and the positives and negatives. Dont worry I thought I did rubbish and I have passed. just goggle each word in relation to health care and you ll be fine.

Hi yes I have my interview on Tuesday and have been told that if I pass my uni interview will be 18th. There is about 20-25 of us on Tuesday. Fingers crossed I'm there with you then too :smile: x
Hi there,
I have my access to nursing interview in four weeks. This is the first stage, I assume its more like an information evening to hand in refs and certs.
Then it will be an interview.

When do I do the essay? What will it be on?
When do I do my statement? How long should it br and any ideas what topics to cover?
Literacy tests and maths tests (Scottish College?)
Original post by Lizzy15
Hi Everyone
This is my first post and I hope someone can help, I am hoping to gain entry to the access to nursing course in September at Edinburgh college. I have my first interview next week and was wondering does anyone know what I will be asked, also if I am successful I will have my group interview for Napier uni. As far as I know I will need to write a essay on " The importance of communication in Nursing" does anyone have any usefull websites or links I should be looking at and is there a word limit to this?? The group interview consists of a photo which you have to describe to your group, can you tell me what they are looking for when you do this exercise and any tips that benefit me.

Thanks folks

Hey, I know you posted this a year ago but I'm just wondering how your interview for the course went and how the course itself went?

I have an interview for university access to nursing at edinburgh college this week and really want to get in. I know they give you three options of nursing - adult, mental health and learning disabilities. I've chosen the mental health one.

Please let me know how it went for you.

Thanks!!
Original post by Kilted_aphrodite
Hi there,
I have my access to nursing interview in four weeks. This is the first stage, I assume its more like an information evening to hand in refs and certs.
Then it will be an interview.

When do I do the essay? What will it be on?
When do I do my statement? How long should it br and any ideas what topics to cover?
Literacy tests and maths tests (Scottish College?)

Hey how did ur interview go?

I have the same one this week.
Reply 17
Original post by cookiesandcream2
Hey how did ur interview go?

I have the same one this week.

Hey I have an interview/information session this week. Have you already had yours? I'm so nervous. Do you know when we have to write the essay and when do we get told what the essay is about?

I would be so grateful for any help and advice. Thanks. :smile:
Original post by GCR91
Hey I have an interview/information session this week. Have you already had yours? I'm so nervous. Do you know when we have to write the essay and when do we get told what the essay is about?

I would be so grateful for any help and advice. Thanks. :smile:

Hey mine is on Tuesday but I wasn't aware we had to write an essay.
All I was told was a personal statement and references were needed.
Reply 19
Original post by cookiesandcream2
Hey mine is on Tuesday but I wasn't aware we had to write an essay.
All I was told was a personal statement and references were needed.

Hey mine is on Tuesday at 1630. I'm just going by what I've heard about the essay. I didn't realise we need to take a personal statement with us. Did it say in the email? I must have missed it. Is it like the one we put in our original applications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending