The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
Going from 33 to 28 makes a difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

not sure if srs.

in the sense that instead of buying a stop gap for replacing Arteta in Milner, who will have to replaced himself in 2-3 years, why not jjust invest the money properly in the first place
Original post by heiljoe
not sure if srs.

in the sense that instead of buying a stop gap for replacing Arteta in Milner, who will have to replaced himself in 2-3 years, why not jjust invest the money properly in the first place

Ofc you're right, but the problem is landing the long term replacement at this moment in time might not be possible. That's why I can't help but laugh at how optimistic some utd fans are in landing half a team this window, they might have the money, but player don't necessarily wants to leave. Thus as I said, for short term replacement, Milner could do the job until we can land a long term one. Plus I say a striker like benzama is priority so if landing him or a wc striker means we'll miss out on a wc DM, I'll happily take Milner.
Original post by heiljoe
not sure if srs.

He's cheap for his quality and at 28 that's at least 3 years if not than 4. Miles better than Arteta (see what I did there) but I'm not so sure how well he'd fit in the CDM role since he's been put on the wing/looked more of an attacking player.
Let's not forget Diaby everyone, imagine him having a Ramsey-like season next season..... One can only dream hahaha
Original post by Setsuna
Let's not forget Diaby everyone, imagine him having a Ramsey-like season next season..... One can only dream hahaha

Diaby got injured playing less than 20 minutes against Norwich.

Suffice it to say I doubt he'll play more than 90 minutes in total next season.
Carlos Vela has given another interview saying he expects Arsenal to activate the buy back clause, and says he'd welcome it. I would say this is very likely to happen tbh.
Original post by Setsuna

His career is pretty much over. It's a shame, could have been a great player but he's just a dying horse right now. If he remained fit I guess he'd be brilliant as he adds some steel to our midfield but I don't see it happening.
Original post by Zürich
Carlos Vela has given another interview saying he expects Arsenal to activate the buy back clause, and says he'd welcome it. I would say this is very likely to happen tbh.

Schev linked this a few pages back, unless this is a new one??

Source plox
Original post by AR_95
Schev linked this a few pages back, unless this is a new one??

Source plox

“If Arsenal wouldn't pay that amount (€4m buy back clause ) they wouldn't be very intelligent."

http://www.squawka.com/news/carlos-vela-believes-arsenal-should-activate-his-buy-back-clause/111969

Why dont we just do this right now tbh? 21 goals and 13 assists this season FFS, kind of figures you'd expect from a €30m player. Would get the fans off Wenger's back as well of course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
“If Arsenal wouldn't pay that amount (€4m buy back clause ) they wouldn't be very intelligent."

http://www.squawka.com/news/carlos-vela-believes-arsenal-should-activate-his-buy-back-clause/111969

Why dont we just do this right now tbh? Would get the fans off Wenger's back as well of course.

apparently Serge Aurier will be our fist signing.

I've seen him described as the 'Dani Alves of Ligue 1' whatever that is meant to mean
Original post by heiljoe
apparently Serge Aurier will be our fist signing.

I've seen him described as the 'Dani Alves of Ligue 1' whatever that is meant to mean

Yeah, heard he plays as an auxiliary winger tbf and watching his youtube highlights(I know...) he seems to bomb forward alot. Very impressive goal.assist stats too, which is good because Sagna/Gibbs really dont provide enough of a threat for us and given Wenger's obsession with central attacking players, you can see the comparisons for Alves at Barca.

Worry is that he too attack minded though. We obviously have a tendency to get decimated when our full backs push up...a new DM is needed badly really to go with him.

'Barcastuff' on twitter have said that Barcelona have been scouting him as well though...

---
Ive said this before, but Aurier will probably get a £60k contract. So we save £40k every week over Sagna and over 3 years that is £6m. In other words, we're getting Aurier for at no cost over keeping Sagna. No brainer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

Why dont we just do this right now tbh? Would get the fans off Wenger's back as well of course.

That's what I don't get. The guy's sure to attract the top clubs, especially if he has a good world cup. Is there a certain amount another team could bid which would mean our clause would no longer stand?
He'd be great since we're lacking pace on the left wing. Walcott/Chambo usually play on the right so the only person he'd be displacing is Podolski. I really like Podolski but he goes invisible too often in games. Good player when we need to be flat track bullies but he didn't offer as much in the Hull game and you could just see the difference after Sanogo came on.
Think Wenger could pull off some magic and make Vela work up front, alongside with Giroud? Having Vela on the left would make things a bit easier for Ozil too so I can really see us having a bolstered attack next season.

I do hope that the only reason he wants to come back to Arsenal is not just to prove a point however.
Original post by Zürich
Yeah, heard he plays as an auxiliary winger tbf and watching his youtube highlights(I know...) he seems to bomb forward alot. Very impressive goal.assist stats too, which is good because Sagna/Gibbs really dont provide enough of a threat for us and given Wenger's obsession with central attacking players, you can see the comparisons for Alves at Barca.

Worry is that he too attack minded though. We obviously have a tendency to get decimated when our full backs push up...a new DM is needed badly really to go with him.

'Barcastuff' on twitter have said that Barcelona have been scouting him as well though...

---
Ive said this before, but Aurier will probably get a £60k contract. So we save £40k every week over Sagna and over 3 years that is £6m. In other words, we're getting Aurier for at no cost over keeping Sagna. No brainer.

Tbh it seems he's a bit raw for the likes of Barca. I'm not that worried about them going in for him this summer but all depends on WC performance.
Original post by AR_95
That's what I don't get. The guy's sure to attract the top clubs, especially if he has a good world cup. Is there a certain amount another team could bid which would mean our clause would no longer stand?
He'd be great since we're lacking pace on the left wing. Walcott/Chambo usually play on the right so the only person he'd be displacing is Podolski. I really like Podolski but he goes invisible too often in games. Good player when we need to be flat track bullies but he didn't offer as much in the Hull game and you could just see the difference after Sanogo came on.
Think Wenger could pull off some magic and make Vela work up front, alongside with Giroud? Having Vela on the left would make things a bit easier for Ozil too so I can really see us having a bolstered attack next season.

I do hope that the only reason he wants to come back to Arsenal is not just to prove a point however.

Vela doesnt play for Mexico, fell out with their FA and is not open for selection.

What's wrong with him wanting to come back and prove a point? Makes him hungry and determined.
Original post by Zürich
Vela doesnt play for Mexico, fell out with their FA and is not open for selection.

What's wrong with him wanting to come back and prove a point? Makes him hungry and determined.

Oh I had no clue about that. What did they fall out about?

Not entirely a bad thing but just hoping it isn't a " I'm gonna go back to Arsenal, show Wenger the mistake he made then leave for an even bigger team".
Obviously I'm just exaggerating here :tongue:
Original post by AR_95

You keep mentioning playing 2 upfront, but I dont see Wenger lining the team up to out like that. How do you accomodate Giroud, Theo the wing forward, Ozil, Pod/Caz/Ox and another forward up top.
The problem is with Giroud playing as a de facto CAM, so needing another forward to actually be a forward.
I'd love to have Vela back. We really missed Walcott's pace at times this season and as has been said Podolski is a good option but can't be relied on, especially in big games. For the price we could get him for, it would be criminal to not go for him. If it doesn't work out it will still be an easy profit. I was surprised Vela didn't make it here the first time to be honest. Remember thinking this guy had huge potential when he was at Osasuna.

Would be nice if the window opened and we signed Vela and Aurier straight off the bat for ~£10m, would give us a lot of money to spend on just a striker and DM if we wanted to.
Original post by heiljoe
You keep mentioning playing 2 upfront, but I dont see Wenger lining the team up to out like that. How do you accomodate Giroud, Theo the wing forward, Ozil, Pod/Caz/Ox and another forward up top.
The problem is with Giroud playing as a de facto CAM, so needing another forward to actually be a forward.

Not as our main formation. But it has worked a few times and it did vs Hull. I'm not entirely sure if it was 442 but that's what I'm guessing

RB Merte Kosc Gibbs
Chambo Ramsey Ozil Cazorla
Giroud STR

I haven't given it a lot of thought tbh, so it probably is very flawed
Original post by AR_95
Not as our main formation. But it has worked a few times and it did vs Hull. I'm not entirely sure if it was 442 but that's what I'm guessing

RB Merte Kosc Gibbs
Chambo Ramsey Ozil Cazorla
Giroud STR

I haven't given it a lot of thought tbh, so it probably is very flawed

Too narrow and we need a pure DM in there, especially as our FB's would get very little protection. Of course if we're chasing a game then it's an option.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Of course if we're chasing a game then it's an option.

This is essentially what I was suggesting it was for. Like I said, the 4231 would remain our main formation :tongue:

Latest