The Student Room Group

Sport Science/Sport and Exercise Science

So, I'm thinking of doing Sport Science/Sport and Exercise Science at degree level starting in September.

Anyone doing this degree who can give me any insight to what it's like: The workload, how many hours a week, what subjects, how many assignments/exams, what work experience is available etc. I know each course will probably have some variance.

Just your general opinion on it as a whole really would be grand!

Many thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Firmed my conditional offer at uni of Gloucestershire and met my conditions so now I'm officially in!!! Feels good to know that I'm finally starting my studies this year!!!

So I'm also curious about what's it like to study sport science.
What universities are you looking at?
I did it for a year, and hated it. But i'm not a fan of science and maths.
The workload is heavy - you'll be expected (at the russell group universities anyway) to be able to complete a variety of courseworks; these include group posters and presentations, lab reports, literature reviews and general essays. You'll need to be able to reference well too and be able to read through scientific journels for information.
You'll have quite a few lab sessions which are really fun.
I had about 10-15 hours of lectures a week in first year, sometimes more, which is pretty heavy
I had the most exams out of my flat, and i lived with law and physics students - so theres a lot of exams involved! (mine where mostly MCQ so was ok). I had about 5-6 exams per semester (around 12 in total for the year)

The subjects i studied in first year where: Neuroscience, Mathematics, Anatomy, Physiology, Cardio-respiratory physiology, Chemistry, Motor Control, Molecular physiology, Biomechanics, Psychology, Biochemistry
Original post by napsy
Firmed my conditional offer at uni of Gloucestershire and met my conditions so now I'm officially in!!! Feels good to know that I'm finally starting my studies this year!!!

So I'm also curious about what's it like to study sport science.

Congratulations on getting your offer mate hope it works out for you.

I did my undergraduate degree in Sports and Exercise Science at Liverpool John Moores.

For me coming off the back of an A* in A-level PE I found that the level of detail covered my first year modules were effectively on a par with what I had done in sixth form. Second year modules are slightly more detailed, but if you work hard in first year its not too difficult. The work load significantly increases in your third year, but you have a lot more control over what you are studying (i.e choosing dissertation topic, optional modules and placement)

Hope this helps, and good look in the future.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending