The Student Room Group

University help!

Hi, I have applied to study Sport and exercise science at Anglia Ruskin university and University of Suffolk. I have also applied for psychology with sport and exercise science at Liverpool Hope university and Physical Education, Sport and Health at UEA.
I am worried that I have picked locations that are too close to home as I can travel to Suffolk and Anglia Ruskin by car and train.
I am not sure if I have picked the correct subject either as I really enjoy psychology as well. I also applied for Exeter, to do psychology with sport and exercise science but I got rejected. I am not sure what to do? Does anybody have any suggestions about going through clearing for either Sport and Exercise science degrees or psychology or both?
Thank you
Original post by Isabelhollands
Hi, I have applied to study Sport and exercise science at Anglia Ruskin university and University of Suffolk. I have also applied for psychology with sport and exercise science at Liverpool Hope university and Physical Education, Sport and Health at UEA.
I am worried that I have picked locations that are too close to home as I can travel to Suffolk and Anglia Ruskin by car and train.
I am not sure if I have picked the correct subject either as I really enjoy psychology as well. I also applied for Exeter, to do psychology with sport and exercise science but I got rejected. I am not sure what to do? Does anybody have any suggestions about going through clearing for either Sport and Exercise science degrees or psychology or both?
Thank you

If you are not happy with your choices you need to reject them now and look to see what is available in extra rather than wait for clearing which is very rushed and needs to be used as a last resort. There are loads of Psychology courses available. You will need to find the one that suits you best as you can only apply t 1 at a time with a further choice if rejected or you arent happy
Reply 2
At Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln, we offer a BA(Hons) in Psychology and Sport if you are interested in combining your subjects. Feel free to contact us if you are interested in this option.
Thank you

Hey @Isabelhollands :smile:

Firstly, I can understand how stressful choosing which Uni to go to can be whilst, presumably, completing your A-Levels but trust me it’s worth it once you've started! These all sound like really solid Unis and you sound genuinely interested in the course if you've chosen to study it at all of your choices so I can get why it’s so tricky. It's easier said than done, but try not to worry about getting rejected or whether something is right for you because this is a really big decision to make and you can change your course or transfer Unis if you really don’t like it come September!

If I were you I'd try and prioritise what's important to me, for example if you really want to be close to home maybe think about the transport links and the accommodation options on offer as you can still gain your independence whilst having that flexibility of going home at the weekend if you really wanted to. At UEA we're a 20 minute direct bus ride to the train station and have a National Express/ Mega Bus bus stop on campus. We also have so many options with en-suites and shared bathrooms all on campus or a 10 minute walk away that really makes Uni feel like a community and you can really make your room feel like home! I'd also think about what you want to do after University (I know this can be quite daunting but 3/4 years creeps up on you quickly!) and how your course can support that. We have an incredible careers team on campus that can help you with all your employability needs and CareerCentral are there for you after you've graduated as well. And also think about the sports clubs/ societies on offer - at UEA we have over 200 sports clubs and societies that are suitable from beginner to professional level and can cater basically every hobby you may have!

As for clearing, as someone who actually went through it and chose UEA because of it, I would recommend making a list of Unis, the courses you're interested in and their contact information so you have it ready the morning of results day. Although, I wouldn’t worry about this until closer to results day because a lot of Universities won’t make this information available until then!

I really hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions as I'd be more than happy to help! Best of luck :smile:
Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership)
Thank you

Hi @Isabelhollands!

Applying for universities can be a really stressful time, so I completely understand what you're going through. I can offer some advice in terms of choosing between courses, because I initially had a hard time with that too!

The first thing I would suggest is making a pros and cons list about the different courses that you are considering/have already applied for. This can help you to gauge which course you feel you have the most interest in, and which course relates the most to what you want to go on to do after university. You could even email departments from these different courses at the universities you are interested in to ask more questions and to potentially ask for advice.

In terms of worrying about picking universities that are close to home - I think that is down to preference. If you are happy to be nearer to your home, family, friends, etc., which I am, then picking a university close to home is a fine option! It makes it easier for you to go home if you want to visit, or if you just want a break at the weekend, and it can help you feel less overwhelmed when moving into university (if you are planning to move in). You can still feel independent, even if you're close to home.

I hope this was helpful, and best of luck with your decisions!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Thank you

Hello @isabelhollands

It can be really overwhelming selecting a course to study at university. I was in a similar position a few years ago, and what can help is looking at the modules that are on each course the universities that you are interested in. Modules can be different dependent on the university, and you may find that one in particular sparks your interest.

I studied Sport and Exercise Science at the University of Suffolk and loved it! Sport Psychology is also a main theme in the modules right from the first to the last year of the course, which may be interesting for you if you are also interested in Psychology.

Please feel free the reach out if you have any questions :smile:

Our clearing lines are open and we do still have spaces on our Sport and Exercise Science degree, if this helps at all. https://www.uos.ac.uk/clearing

Best of luck!

Scarlett

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending