The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

How good is Leicester University?

I currently hold a deferred place at Leicester to study Engineering but people have been telling me it's not a good university. I know someone that turned a place down there for a place at Leeds met (This must have been about 5 years ago though).

Leicester seems to be ranked top 20 in almost every league table. I've seen it higher than Nottingham, Birmingham and Manchester. It also comes out on top almost all the time on student surveys. I know league tables aren't everything but are people just judging it by the fact its not Russel group? Please don't just be biased on your opinions. Thank you.
It's in 1994 group.
ps 2012 firmer :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my MT15i
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Accommodation is a bit grubby from what I've heard, I know a lot of people in my year who've declined it for other Universities like East Anglia but I'm sure it's not that bad! It seems to be doing okay in the league tables...just have a look at it's student satisfaction though :3
Reply 3
It's definitely not a bad university. I was impressed with it when I visited and put it as my insurance (which was a really risky strategy since it's offer was only a grade below my firm's offer... :s-smilie:) because I wanted to put down a university that I'd actually want to go to, rather than one I didn't like.
The only things I didn't like about it were that the accommodation varies a lot in quality (some is really nice, but some other rooms are quite old) and my firm choice had newer lab equipment, but they're really minor things.
Also, remember that some universities aren't great for some subjects, but are some of the best in the country for others. And vice versa. :smile:
Bump
I can't speak for how good it is to study Engineering at Leicester but I chose it as my firm. I had an offer from Leeds University which IS a Russel Group but I still preferred Leicester. It's a matter of opinion, though. I feel Leicester is better for me because the course content is more interesting to me than what Leeds offered. I had Nottingham University as my insurance. I LOVED their main campus; I may be biased because the weather was brilliant on the open day but the campus was great and the accommodation was okay but the course really lacked and my tutor encouraged me to go for the course, not the location.
When I went to Leicester's open day I noticed that it was really close to the city centre so it's very convinient and the campus has quite a good feel to it. It's quite big, a variety of architecture and, what I really appreciate, signs directing you around campus in case you lose your place. The course was good for me but what's also important is the "feel" of the place and I was happy with how Leicester University felt. Leicester itself is okay but nothing to brag about. At all.
I was anxious about applying to Leicester without being to an open day by then so I asked my cousin who's doing his PhD there. He was (I think) at Imperial in London before that and said he preferred Leicester :smile:
Reply 6
When I applied to Leicester I didn't even know where it was! I got an interview, and when I visited... I fell in love with it. The student union building is wild! And yes, the accommodation does indeed vary, but all of it is better than the dorm room i've been rotting in for the last five years!
I'm going to study Medicine, which is good at Leicester because there are three large hospitals to choose from (LRI being the massive-est) and they have a very well-intergrated clinical/pure sci program from year 1. Leicester is aeons above Leeds Met and East Anglia and all of that.
The one thing to consider is that it's a very culturally diverse city with a very high number of indians living in it (it has the biggest Divali celebrations outside of India itself!), so if you're not keen on that you may be put off. Also, the student accomodation is down the road from the city centre in Oadby, which is a 20ish minute bus ride away from the uni buildings. The Uni buildings are all contained pretty much within 2 or 3 streets of each other.
I love it when I visited, and it's very highly ranked of course.

I'd advise you to actually visit before you judge, and weigh what you see/experience against what people have told you. They may hate it but you love it; it's an individual thing.
Original post by Emmymuppet
When I applied to Leicester I didn't even know where it was! I got an interview, and when I visited... I fell in love with it. The student union building is wild! And yes, the accommodation does indeed vary, but all of it is better than the dorm room i've been rotting in for the last five years!
I'm going to study Medicine, which is good at Leicester because there are three large hospitals to choose from (LRI being the massive-est) and they have a very well-intergrated clinical/pure sci program from year 1. Leicester is aeons above Leeds Met and East Anglia and all of that.
The one thing to consider is that it's a very culturally diverse city with a very high number of indians living in it (it has the biggest Divali celebrations outside of India itself!), so if you're not keen on that you may be put off. Also, the student accomodation is down the road from the city centre in Oadby, which is a 20ish minute bus ride away from the uni buildings. The Uni buildings are all contained pretty much within 2 or 3 streets of each other.
I love it when I visited, and it's very highly ranked of course.

I'd advise you to actually visit before you judge, and weigh what you see/experience against what people have told you. They may hate it but you love it; it's an individual thing.

I have visited, the only thing that's at the back of my mind is whether it's good for engineering or not. I really liked it though. There's just too much difference in the league tables for me to work it out.

Guardian ranks it as 7th for Engineering, Complete University guide ranks it as 17th and The sunday times ranks it at 47th. It's just impossible to tell. I've sent an email to the uni to find out why there's such a difference.
Reply 8
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I have visited, the only thing that's at the back of my mind is whether it's good for engineering or not. I really liked it though. There's just too much difference in the league tables for me to work it out.

Guardian ranks it as 7th for Engineering, Complete University guide ranks it as 17th and The sunday times ranks it at 47th. It's just impossible to tell. I've sent an email to the uni to find out why there's such a difference.

Each guide/newspaper/etc probably uses different criteria to assess how good a university is in one subject. That'll be the cause of the difference. For instance, The Sunday Times might heavily base its league tables on, say, number of tutorial hours/tutorial quality, which Leicester's course isn't as good on, whereas the Guardian might base it on the opportunity to do practical work/experience industry, which leicester may be better at. It's all subjective.

Every course will be better in some respects, worse in others. :smile:
Original post by sliceofcake
I can't speak for how good it is to study Engineering at Leicester but I chose it as my firm. I had an offer from Leeds University which IS a Russel Group but I still preferred Leicester. It's a matter of opinion, though. I feel Leicester is better for me because the course content is more interesting to me than what Leeds offered. I had Nottingham University as my insurance. I LOVED their main campus; I may be biased because the weather was brilliant on the open day but the campus was great and the accommodation was okay but the course really lacked and my tutor encouraged me to go for the course, not the location.
When I went to Leicester's open day I noticed that it was really close to the city centre so it's very convinient and the campus has quite a good feel to it. It's quite big, a variety of architecture and, what I really appreciate, signs directing you around campus in case you lose your place. The course was good for me but what's also important is the "feel" of the place and I was happy with how Leicester University felt. Leicester itself is okay but nothing to brag about. At all.
I was anxious about applying to Leicester without being to an open day by then so I asked my cousin who's doing his PhD there. He was (I think) at Imperial in London before that and said he preferred Leicester :smile:

This is a very, very late reply but you must be in your second year or so at Leicester University. How is engineering going for you? I placed it as my insurance for Aerospace Engineering (I firmed the University of Sheffield but I definitely wont get the grades) and I keep hearing things like its a rubbish university. Any sort of help would be great.
Thank you!
Original post by Wise Fool
This is a very, very late reply but you must be in your second year or so at Leicester University. How is engineering going for you? I placed it as my insurance for Aerospace Engineering (I firmed the University of Sheffield but I definitely wont get the grades) and I keep hearing things like its a rubbish university. Any sort of help would be great.
Thank you!

After reading what you've quoted from me, I see why you got the impression I'm studying Engineering but I'm not, sorry to disappoint you! I meant to say that I chose Leicester as my firm! I've never heard that it's a bad university in which to study Engineering, though. Or about it being a rubbish university? I mean, I'm not going to say Leicester is the best. It felt perfect for me when I visited but my department has been a bit of a let down... the university as a whole is quite good, but again, I can't say I know all that much about Engineering. As you are trying for Aerospace Engineering, I don't know whether you'd be in Engineering or Physics (as I know nothing), but my cousin is completing his PhD in the Physics department, studying white dwarf stars I think, and I've heard nothing but good things from him.
Best of luck to you in achieving your grades! I can try and answer other questions you might have about the university but I'm afraid I'm not any help for Engineering.
After reading what you've quoted from me, I see why you got the impression I'm studying Engineering but I'm not, sorry to disappoint you! I meant to say that I chose Leicester as my firm! I've never heard that it's a bad university in which to study Engineering, though. Or about it being a rubbish university? I mean, I'm not going to say Leicester is the best. It felt perfect for me when I visited but my department has been a bit of a let down... the university as a whole is quite good, but again, I can't say I know all that much about Engineering. As you are trying for Aerospace Engineering, I don't know whether you'd be in Engineering or Physics (as I know nothing), but my cousin is completing his PhD in the Physics department, studying white dwarf stars I think, and I've heard nothing but good things from him.
Best of luck to you in achieving your grades! I can try and answer other questions you might have about the university but I'm afraid I'm not any help for Engineering.

Ah no problem and my bad haha.
How's the city? Is it green? Oh and do you know if the snowsports (snowboarding for me) society is any good?
Original post by Wise Fool
Ah no problem and my bad haha.
How's the city? Is it green? Oh and do you know if the snowsports (snowboarding for me) society is any good?

The city's okay. I come from Leeds which is quite a big city and the transition has been easy, it's quite small though. Good shops, great parks, one of which is by the university. I don't know anything about the snow sports society but I think- please don't quote me on this because I could be wrong- they arrange trips abroad once a year for a week or so to play on actual snow.
The city's okay. I come from Leeds which is quite a big city and the transition has been easy, it's quite small though. Good shops, great parks, one of which is by the university. I don't know anything about the snow sports society but I think- please don't quote me on this because I could be wrong- they arrange trips abroad once a year for a week or so to play on actual snow.

Ah that's okay, and I am sure it's twice a year; during December and March.
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I currently hold a deferred place at Leicester to study Engineering but people have been telling me it's not a good university. I know someone that turned a place down there for a place at Leeds met (This must have been about 5 years ago though).

Leicester seems to be ranked top 20 in almost every league table. I've seen it higher than Nottingham, Birmingham and Manchester. It also comes out on top almost all the time on student surveys. I know league tables aren't everything but are people just judging it by the fact its not Russel group? Please don't just be biased on your opinions. Thank you.

Sorry, but it's not as good as those you've mentioned above, Nottingham, Birmingham and definitely NOT Manchester or any one of the Russell Group Universities.
Reply 15
Original post by David Conway
Sorry, but it's not as good as those you've mentioned above, Nottingham, Birmingham and definitely NOT Manchester or any one of the Russell Group Universities.

I’m guessing 10 years ago it was very different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending