The Student Room Group

Most annoying grammar/spelling mistakes?

So what are some of your personal pet peeves when it comes to people making grammar and spelling mistakes?
I particularly hate:
Your/you're
There/their/they're
Alot instead of a lot
Could of instead of could've
Whether/weather

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by superdarklord
So what are some of your personal pet peeves when it comes to people making grammar and spelling mistakes?
I particularly hate:
Your/you're
There/their/they're
Alot instead of a lot
Could of instead of could've
Whether/weather

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do not get me started. ....Oh, alright then :rolleyes:

Their's/theirs
Grammer/grammar
Collage/college
Wierd/weird (it seems "wierd" is actually pretty common in America...)
Further/farther

Continue ad nauseum.
I hate alot/a lot.

It's two words! Two words! You don't look 'cool' or 'unique' by using one word, you just look like an idiot.
loose weight and lose weight are not the same thing.
toad/towed :doh:
When it comes to grades, the apostrophe thing really pisses me off.

It's As, not A's! :angry:

When people say "should of" as well, is it really that much of a struggle to either say 'should've' or 'should have'. Makes me want to stab them :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The Welsh do not live in whales.
gergergerg
This site gets more pathetic by the day. :facepalm2:
Original post by Maid Marian
I hate alot/a lot.

It's two words! Two words! You don't look 'cool' or 'unique' by using one word, you just look like an idiot.

This annoys me a bit, and aswell/as well. And when people put 'kool' instead of 'cool'. Especially if they know how to spell it...

But otherwise, I don't really care. More than likely, its a typo, or they confuse the difference.
''Specific'' and ''Pacific''

EDIT: When People Use Capital Letters At The Start Of Every Word.

Just no.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dark Horse
This site gets more pathetic by the day. :facepalm2:

:hugs:

when ppl misuse the semi-colon
Original post by TheBigJosh
''Specific'' and ''Pacific''

EDIT: When People Use Capital Letters At The Start Of Every Word.

Just no.

This just leaves me feeling utterly confused. Surely it takes more effort to capitalize every word rather than just leaving it as 'regular' text, which kind of defeats the point :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
U/ure/wat/dw/wuu2/lol etc.

Dislike text speak in general. I read things how they look, so it just makes people 'sound' dumb in my head!

To/too
For/four
Then/than - people on my news feed actually say things such as "I thought I was better then that", haha

Lack of grammer ( :wink: ) in texts, such as no commas, full stops, or question marks really gets to me. You wouldn't speak like that in one breath face-to-face with someone! Also, grammar really changes how people interpret information! If you want it to be interpreted correctly, and for people to respect that you have at least two brain cells, then learn how to spell it!

(Unless you're dyslexic, in which case I will consider forgiving you).
Original post by Arithmeticae
This just leaves me feeling utterly confused. Surely it takes more effort to capitalize every word rather than just leaving it as 'regular' text, which kind of defeats the point :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think it's a time saving mechanism, I think people reckon it makes them look ''cool'', they just look uneducated. I know of one girl who did it so much, she couldn't stop and it translated into her day to day writing. She failed A-Level English Language...
Effect and affect... Oh god....
Defiantly instead of Definitely!
Alot
Reply 18
Replacing 'have' with 'of'. Are you ****ing serious? How do people make such a mistake?
Original post by GhostlyFish
Do not get me started. ....Oh, alright then :rolleyes:

Their's/theirs
Grammer/grammar
Collage/college
Wierd/weird (it seems "wierd" is actually pretty common in America...)
Further/farther

Continue ad nauseum.

Ad nauseam/ad nauseum always really annoys me. It's an A.

Quick Reply

Latest