The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Unit 4 | Life on the Margins: The Food Supply Problem | Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by sophiepells
because i was thinking about doing 2 case studies on production (one top down, one bottom up), 2 on distribution (top down vs bottom up) and 2 on access (top down bottom up).. or have i got completely the wrong idea?

I understand :smile: if its a strategy that directly (increased food production) or indirectly (conservation) increased food supply, then its all good! I'm doing great green wall as well because it combined food production and mitigating effects of desertification to ensure future food supply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what exact case studies are you doing and how are you laying it out? Because we've been told to look at all dimensions and to take food supply as meaning food security? Are you not doing any case studies like the public distribution system in India is that completely wrong?
Original post by lala121
I understand :smile: if its a strategy that directly (increased food production) or indirectly (conservation) increased food supply, then its all good! I'm doing great green wall as well because it combined food production and mitigating effects of desertification to ensure future food supply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So are you only doing production? What exact case studies and structure are you using? Because I've got all these obscure case studies on distribution like the PDS in India and I have a feeling it's completely wrong :frown:
whats the definition of food supply?
Reply 84
whats the definition of food supply?

Not sure about food supply? Having adequete stock of food readily available?

Food security exists when all people at all times have economical and physical access to safe, sufficient and nutritious food, that meets dietary needs and preference, thus allowing them to lead a healthy and active life (World Food Summit 1996)

My case studies are Green Revolution, Aquaculture, Organic Farming, Great Green wall and appropriate irrigation technologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala121
Not sure about food supply? Having adequete stock of food readily available?

Food security exists when all people at all times have economical and physical access to safe, sufficient and nutritious food, that meets dietary needs and preference, thus allowing them to lead a healthy and active life (World Food Summit 1996)

My case studies are Green Revolution, Aquaculture, Organic Farming, Great Green wall and appropriate irrigation technologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think case studies like the public distribution system in India and cash transfers in Nairobis slums are wrong for this prerelease then? Because i don't know whether it means literally increasing supply through increasing production, or through increasing supply through improving economic access etc because of the Kalahandi syndrome etc?
Reply 86
Im confused what you write about in your methodology. Can anyone help?

Also do we need to do a biography ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 87
I made some notes a while ago that may be useful for some of you.
Reply 88
Original post by thebas
Im confused what you write about in your methodology. Can anyone help?

Also do we need to do a biography ?

Your methodology is basically just stating where you got all your research/information from. So you would state what books, journals, websites, dvds and videos etc that you used throughout your research & who wrote them/when they got published. You also have to use evaluative language when writing it so for example using the words 'avoid bias', 'reliable', 'peer-reviewed' and 'authoritative source'. Some people put their sources in a table or you can just write it in a paragraph which is easier I think
Reply 89
Do you think case studies like the public distribution system in India and cash transfers in Nairobis slums are wrong for this prerelease then? Because i don't know whether it means literally increasing supply through increasing production, or through increasing supply through improving economic access etc because of the Kalahandi syndrome etc?

Explore how different ways of increasing global food supply have different degrees of sustainability.

Research contrasting ways of increasing food supply to cope with rising demand.

The pre-release does say contrasting ways of increasing food supply with rising demand. I think yout best bet is to use strategies that directly increase food supply e.g. mechanization or aquaculture (alternative food source) and other indirect ways. I think talking about public distribution does increase food supply.
Reply 90
Original post by lala121
Here is my intro :smile:

Focus: Food security definition, 4 dimensions, Few statistics

Definitions: Sustainability, vent diagram

Framework: reword question, how my report is laid out, table with my case studies (Scale, Case Study, Country)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The question focus will be on food supply, not food security??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by allyz04
The question focus will be on food supply, not food security??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but the overall focus is food security, you still would need to have the definition, although in your rest of the report I am focusing on supply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lala121
Yeah but the overall focus is food security, you still would need to have the definition, although in your rest of the report I am focusing on supply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

dont think there is any need for definition of food insecurity.
Reply 93
Original post by peter qwert
dont think there is any need for definition of food insecurity.

I said food security. By all means you dont have to write it, but it only takes half a minute anyways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 94
The whole topic is about food security so yes a definition of food insecurity is very important. "Food security is the availability of food in a given area and the extent to which individuals can access those food supplies." is all you would need to say
Reply 95
Original post by thebas
The whole topic is about food security so yes a definition of food insecurity is very important. "Food security is the availability of food in a given area and the extent to which individuals can access those food supplies." is all you would need to say

Totes agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
food security and food supply are interrelated aren't they? because food supply is the total amount of food available for consumption.. therefore involves production, distribution and access to food in order to be able to consume it. And the four pillars of food security are production, distribution, access and use?
Reply 97
Food security is the is the availability of a food in a given area and the extent to which individuals can access these food supplies. Food supply is the amount of food in the area however this doesn't take into account that some individuals may not be able to access the food. Food supply only shows X and does not show who gets what and the split between the obese and the hungry.
ohhhh so is food supply literally just the amount of food in the area? so for the pre release thats all we need to focus on and not who's getting what?
do you have the link for definition of food supply? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending