The Student Room Group

Queens / Magee University of Ulster Nursing 2014 intake

Scroll to see replies

The childcare amount is very small it is scary! When I was completing my first degree my daughter was in after school childcare at a nursery and it cost around £450-£500 per month. Although I know childminders can be cheaper but I found the nurseries a lot more flexible if times changed etc
Original post by lc102
I have, sooo excited!!! Can't wait to get more info on sat! :smile:

Are you going to queens? Are you doing your alevels? I'm from Newry too
Did everyone get the info posted out as well? :smile:
Wasnt a great deal of information but better than nothing.
Got my occ health forms to fill in also. So guess a trip to my docs is in order to get another print off of my vac history :smile: doea anyone know what would get you removed from the course in terms of occy health status?
Cant wait to get everything sorted for September. So going to make the most of a stress free summer! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 383
Anyone make ta reserve list for queens?? Just wondering would I still have gd enough chance of getting in?
Original post by deviant182
Did everyone get the info posted out as well? :smile:
Wasnt a great deal of information but better than nothing.
Got my occ health forms to fill in also. So guess a trip to my docs is in order to get another print off of my vac history :smile: doea anyone know what would get you removed from the course in terms of occy health status?
Cant wait to get everything sorted for September. So going to make the most of a stress free summer! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that definitely how you go about getting a copy of vaccination records? I've made an appointment to ask my GP, but looking at the NHS websites it says that a request for records has to be made in writing and that it takes 21-40 days, ideally, for the request to be processed, which is far longer than the time given to us by the occupational health department to get a copy of these records. But I have no idea what would be the exclusion criteria, I imagine this is mostly to provide support for conditions that you have that might need to addressed as opposed to them trying to remove people from the course.
Original post by tedbunny
Is that definitely how you go about getting a copy of vaccination records? I've made an appointment to ask my GP, but looking at the NHS websites it says that a request for records has to be made in writing and that it takes 21-40 days, ideally, for the request to be processed, which is far longer than the time given to us by the occupational health department to get a copy of these records. But I have no idea what would be the exclusion criteria, I imagine this is mostly to provide support for conditions that you have that might need to addressed as opposed to them trying to remove people from the course.

yes. I just rang my doctors, spoke to the receptionist and explained i needed a print off of my vaccination history and could it be signed and stamped by the gp as i needed it for university occupational health for a nursing degree. They were great. I rang up in the morning, and picked it up in the afternoon. And my work's occupational health department are sending me out my information in the post after i also rang them and contacted them to have a recent up to date information about myself. The request you gave looked at will be a complete history that will take a while to get and has to be done in writing. This is more if you are looking to move abroad etc. So it shouldnt take you too much trouble to get a copy and get them signed off. I didnt need to make an appointment as ive already had to request my history several times from the gp for my job etc. So they just printed mine off and signed it for me to collect.
So hope it all goes well for you :smile:
Reply 386
Does anyone know when your holidays are if you do the feb intake? I know sept intake get theirs mid July was just wondering when feb's would be??
Original post by weehen
Does anyone know when your holidays are if you do the feb intake? I know sept intake get theirs mid July was just wondering when feb's would be??

I've no idea but I am also wondering this for next year or if I am lucky enough to get a place through reserve :colondollar: as I've booked a holiday for next August
Reply 388
I was wondering this as well. Won't be long until feb. Seems like we only done interview and here we are filling out occ medical forms!
Reply 389
I was offered sept and feb but jst firm feb as it's gna suit be better...but wna book my holidays for next yr...we are bound to get off some of the summer? Well hopefully!lol
Hi everyone, i am going to magee in september for adult nursing, does anyone know what way the semesters work etc? like when is our holidays/time off. i know we don't get a summer off as in the full 8 weeks etc. would love any help i could get with this :smile:
Original post by brunette1652
Hi everyone, i am going to magee in september for adult nursing, does anyone know what way the semesters work etc? like when is our holidays/time off. i know we don't get a summer off as in the full 8 weeks etc. would love any help i could get with this :smile:

I'll ask the student nurses tomorrow at work for you and see what they say or if they could even possibly write it down for me haha!! I'l also ask about their portfolios and when Magee starts sorting it all out :biggrin:
well ive asked them today. The Ulster students are on placement from april to aug 7th. Then off to end of sept. Then 4 weeks or so of class then back to placement again. Then 2 weeks off at xmas. They pay for portfolio and uniform as well. Ulster will send out that information. So by sounds of it, it isn't too bad. Apparently queens get slightly better holidays but are more or less the same.
And they've both said they enjoy it and their 1st year has flew in. Only difficulty is working around placements when they're tired !
So if anyone wants any more info il try and find out before they finish next week :biggrin:
hi everyone i was on the phone today to student finance and the bursary team who said we only get £2591, i thought we received £430 a month, i am so confused about the finance end of things now, does anyone know anything more?
I called student finance england today and all they could tell me was that they were processing the application and that it should be done in 2-4 weeks as they are very busy currently.
I dont know about bursaries though? I know we get the basic and then £1000 grant from what ive heard from the other student nurses. And i also get the loan from sfe. But how much exactly im unsure?
Queens first placement was from 11th Nov - 22nd Dec...second placement 17th Feb - 30th March....and final placement begins this coming Monday 2nd June to 13th July. Then off for summer until the end of September.

6 in, 6 out for three phases. Two weeks off at Christmas, one week off at Easter and ten weeks or so off in the summer. :smile:

Not it sure I can advise much on the finance stuff, Deviant. :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks hipbones :smile:

Thats pretty much what i had in my head from talking to the last queens placement students we had.
And student finance were a little bit of a help but not much. i was on hold for ages as nobody seems to know exactly in terms of my situation. But getting there hopefully!
Just waiting to hear back re: o.h now. Hopefully they think im fit and healthy enough!
Friend of mine gets 430 a month.She is a second yr general nursing student at Queens. Single with no kids and lives at home with parent....
do we have to do a medical before we start nursing?or is this the occupational health thing? How do they do this. like where they check how fit we are?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brunette1652
do we have to do a medical before we start nursing?or is this the occupational health thing? How do they do this. like where they check how fit we are?

Yup :smile: This is the occupational health check. This is to see if you are immune to the likes of measles and rubella and to usually start you underway for your Hep B vaccination course (if you havent had it already)
Then to assess if you need any extra help with anything and to check your skin condition and sometimes if your back is okay in regards to manual handling (ie/ someone who may have been in car accidents or something)
Mine for work was a doddle. Obviously the uni one for nursing may be different but my hands were checked, my vaccination history (blood sample was taken) and then asked if i had any ongoing medical conditions etc.
Most people for uni i think are asked to attend for vaccines etc :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending