The Student Room Group

Christians are the most persecuted people in the world.

Last month David Cameron said that Christians are the most persecuted group in the world and he is correct:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/andrewbrown/2014/apr/11/david-cameron-christianity-most-persecuted-religion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9640825/Christians-persecuted-throughout-the-world.html

Why is there so little action on this issue?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

At first I was going to right a comment expressing my outrage at how this is nonsense. But then I stopped and thought about it.

Christianity is the largest religion in the world. It is probably also one of the least homogeneous, existing in small pockets all of the world while also being dominant in the most multicultural.

Christians probably are the most persecuted based purely on this, the sheer volume of it's adherents.

If you were talking about scale or percentages, then I would certainly disagree however.
Reply 2
Original post by Farm_Ecology
At first I was going to right a comment expressing my outrage at how this is nonsense. But then I stopped and thought about it.

Christianity is the largest religion in the world. It is probably also one of the least homogeneous, existing in small pockets all of the world while also being dominant in the most multicultural.

Christians probably are the most persecuted based purely on this, the sheer volume of it's adherents.

If you were talking about scale or percentages, then I would certainly disagree however.

Cool story bro.
Sadly they are. They are the Jews of today. Thing is, most of this persecution is not taking place in countries relevant to the global economy (unlike the persecution of Jews in Europe, for example), so nobody cares.

Edit: Christians are of course persecuted in the middle east, and the countries there are very rich, but only due to oil exports. Nobody moves to the middle east for a better life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thats because they ( Christians ) truely are the religion of peace.
Bullies always pick easy targets.
Who are you going to have an argument with, some one who turns the other cheek, or someone who will hunt you down and kill you?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Farm_Ecology

I bet it absolutely pains you that on this occasion you can't use your guilt complex. I bet being able to point to those such as the British Empire oppressing transgender Muslim bi-sexual disabled people would give you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

I bet it really rustles you that Christians are savagely treated throughout the Muslim world because it means you can't activate your self-pat backing progressive Sweden mode of tolerance.

I bet you're a vegetarian.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Christians usually are persecuted in backwards countries and cultures.
Reply 7
Most people identify as christian because their parents are christian. How many of these christians actually go to church?

You might as well seperate people on eye colour or something as ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Original post by Armin.
Most people identify as christian because their parents are christian. How many of these christians actually go to church?

You might as well seperate people on eye colour or something as ridiculous. :rolleyes:

You have demonstrated a profound ignorance with this post, for one not all Christians go to church, or can even access a church. Second Christians identity as a group, and are persecuted because of their beliefs, not because they had green eyes, which is why it is relevant to mention that they are Christian.
Reply 9
Original post by DErasmus
You have demonstrated a profound ignorance with this post, for one not all Christians go to church, or can even access a church. Second Christians identity as a group, and are persecuted because of their beliefs, not because they had green eyes, which is why it is relevant to mention that they are Christian.

Why are you so upset? My point is valid, I can identify as an alien but that doesn't make me an alien. :cig:
Reply 10
This is ironic, to say the least.

Maybe karma is real after all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by KimKallstrom
I bet it absolutely pains you that on this occasion you can't use your guilt complex. I bet being able to point to those such as the British Empire oppressing transgender Muslim bi-sexual disabled people would give you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

I bet it really rustles you that Christians are savagely treated throughout the Muslim world because it means you can't activate your self-pat backing progressive Sweden mode of tolerance.

Oh my liberal fragile daisies... Ha, that was rough but I agree with the sentiment. There's quite a perverted sense of cultural relativism by many on the left (usually white and bourgeois looking out for us poor defenceless brown folk) that leads to this double standard to brush off the oppression of Christians (who ironically happen to be exactly similar in every way to their Muslim counterparts - same locale, race, language etc. - except for religion) "purely on the sheer volume of it's [sic] adherents".
Original post by KimKallstrom

My original issue was not that Christians were the most persecuted, but that any major religion was. Smaller minority religions which have no representation because they exist only in small amounts in backward and brutal countries. I would have same the same thing about Islam, except Islam is without a doubt NOT the most persecuted religion.

Although I am vegetarian.
...and what about gay people?
Reply 14
I actually agree with the OP. It seems like every issue that Christianity of any branch doesn't agree with leads to people "hating christianity" in mass numbers. Take the issue of homosexuality for example.

I may be very wrong, however

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I think it's based on all it's actions throughout history. Most aren't pretty.

Original post by caravaggio2
Thats because they ( Christians ) truely are the religion of peace.
Bullies always pick easy targets.
Who are you going to have an argument with, some one who turns the other cheek, or someone who will hunt you down and kill you?

I have to disagree with you, the only reason Christianity exists and survived the test of time is because it won it's wars. There were countless other religions that could have come out of Rome to then spread throughout the world, Christianity was just the last one standing, and it certainly wasn't through peaceful reasons. And there are still modern day conflicts (like in Nigeria) and atrocities committed by Christianity, like all major religions.
(edited 9 years ago)
I disagree, I recall since the death of Christ... They persecuted Jews. Mass murdered the Native Americans, destroyed countries, slavery, racism and many more!

Christianity is probably the most violent religion in history. But perhaps this maybe the reason why small minority in certain cultures are persecuted. In my opinion Muslims are most oppressed and victimized, then again there's a difference between persecution and victimization.

So to conclude, Christianity, historically has been the most violent religion in modern history.
And in my opinion the way things working out now in the UK and everyone having the blame culture i.e. UKIP immigrants immigrants... EDL Muslims Muslims...
I can understand why they're persecuted in other countries.
Original post by AJFShaz
I disagree, I recall since the death of Christ... They persecuted Jews. Mass murdered the Native Americans, destroyed countries, slavery, racism and many more!

Christianity is probably the most violent religion in history. But perhaps this maybe the reason why small minority in certain cultures are persecuted. In my opinion Muslims are most oppressed and victimized, then again there's a difference between persecution and victimization.

So to conclude, Christianity, historically has been the most violent religion in modern history.
And in my opinion the way things working out now in the UK and everyone having the blame culture i.e. UKIP immigrants immigrants... EDL Muslims Muslims...
I can understand why they're persecuted in other countries.

Muslims weren't exactly pacifists in the past...
Original post by the-black-lotus
Muslims weren't exactly pacifists in the past...

Never said they weren't, I stated that Christianity was the move violent, all religions in the past have shown violence, just stating a historical fact :smile:
Original post by arxtra
(usually white and bourgeois looking out for us poor defenceless brown folk).

Spot on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending