The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That feeling when Wenger always believed :adore:

Original post by AR_95
Rumours saying we've been linked with Colombia's keeper David Ospina and advancements on this transfer depend on his WC performance

Swear he's a pretty good keeper, don't see Wenger getting a very strong backup keeper but somebody who is competent. Honestly you were probably better off keeping Mannone.

Original post by AR_95
umad?

Go back to your pokemon society please

:rofl:

Btw I didn't vote for you on that thread, take from that what you will.
Original post by jam278
Swear he's a pretty good keeper, don't see Wenger getting a very strong backup keeper but somebody who is competent. Honestly you were probably better off keeping Mannone.

:rofl:

Btw I didn't vote for you on that thread, take from that what you will.

Nah it's kl not that bothered with who it was haha

Don't know how we'd fit Ospina tbh cause both keepers are good enough to start
Does anyone else feel Wilshere really needs to up his game for next season? I mean he always looked the brighter talent than Ramsey, but Aaron has blown past ahead of him after this season. Obviously Jack's been unlucky with injuries, but I was really expecting him to start reaching his full potential by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Young back up keeper are a bit of an issue, even if they aren't that good still a little too ambitious. I think you guys had the right idea this season. Someone like Brad Friedel or you guys with Schwarzer is ideal. Older guys in their final years, happy to sit on the bench and get paid, perhaps get a last hurrah like Schwarzer did in the CL for you guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
Does anyone else feel Wilshere really needs to up his game for next season? I mean he always looked the brighter talent than Ramsey, but Aaron has blown past ahead of him after this season. Obviously Jack's been unlucky with injuries, but I was really expecting him to start reaching his full potential by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think last season pretty much made sure Wilshere was out of our first starting XI. Ramsey is miles beyond Wilshere however he could always have that break out season like Ramsey did which is why I think Wenger has had a lot of faith for him tbh
Original post by DDan123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Needs to push on for sure. Mistakes in his game are the same as when he was 19.

Still think Wilshere can eventually overtake Ramsey.
Original post by Zürich
Needs to push on for sure. Mistakes in his game are the same as when he was 19.

Still think Wilshere can eventually overtake Ramsey.

On what aspect? Ramsey is an all round box to box midfielder with goals from everywhere in his locker. He is essentially a more dynamic version of Lampard (remains to be seen whether he will surpass Lampard's career).

Wilshere, has been decidedly underwhelming.
Original post by Zürich
That feeling when Wenger always believed

And no Arsenal fans did; and the whole fanbase was extremely, unnecessarily and horrifically offensive towards a young kid playing football
Original post by Pete_91
Arsenal fans are plastic? Probably have the least amount of plastic fans of any team in the upper echelons of Europe.

Yeah, please convince yourself that.
Wilshere to me seems like the kinda guy who can control a game better than Ramsey can, his diminutive stature means that he has more mobility and can ride challenges better than most footballers, If he is able to add something else to his game, be it developing his shooting boots, or to be able to pass and dictate a game to a higher level you've got a player on your hands.

He also needs to improve defensively, he goes full blooded into challenges and more often than not comes worse off. Maybe if he bulked up a little or he was a bit smarter in going into challenges he will improve that side of his game.

I feel Wilshere basically needs to improve his attacking side of the game and his defensive side, as an Arsenal fan looking at who you have as midfielders I'd be more inclined to make Wilshere play a more defensive role. Ramsey has put the no.8 position on lockdown, so I'd probably put Wilshere as a no.6. Reckon Wengers thinking is to use Wilshere deep, he's always said that he sees Wilshere as a deep lying playmaker anyway. Remember a point between october 2012 to february 2013 that Wilshere was controlling things, that's what I want to see from Jack.
Original post by So Instinct
really and truly the only person that probably talks about it in here is SUG.

When Arsenal fans return to their yearly post seasonal transfer hype delirious hysteria and start talking rubbish, obviously I'm going to remind them of what actually happened this past season.
Original post by Ash Ketchum
Lol love Zurich's meltdowns. Arsenal thread home of the plastic fans.

Wanna lick his ass some more? :h:

lmao plastic? yeah plastic fans which stayed with a team with a 9 year trophy drought. hmmm :confused:
Original post by C.Almasy
On what aspect? Ramsey is an all round box to box midfielder with goals from everywhere in his locker. He is essentially a more dynamic version of Lampard (remains to be seen whether he will surpass Lampard's career).

Wilshere, has been decidedly underwhelming.

Ramsey was nothing of the sort prior to last season. He went from the most boring player in our team, who made considerably more backward passes than forward ones, had no confidence, and was being slated by Arsenal fans because he showed no desire to make anything happen, and was content on playing it safe. It appeared that the injury had got the better of him and he was destined to become a poor man's Jonjo Shelvey.

But the lad spent the summer eating his Weetabix and proved everyone wrong - and if Wilshere could concentrate on doing the same instead of getting a new tattoo and having another kid, we'd have the best British midfielders of their generation in our squad.

It's just a shame we can't accommodate Ramsey, Ozil and Wilshere in the starting XI, without putting either Ozil or Wilshere wide - and no to the Ramsey-Wilshere double pivot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ash Ketchum
Lol love Zurich's meltdowns. Arsenal thread home of the plastic fans.

Wanna lick his ass some more? :h:

Hardly.

Do you think United or Chelsea fans would have stuck around after what we've been though the last 9 years? United fans were having conniptions about Moyes ffs, 1 season, try 9.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Straight up G
Yeah, please convince yourself that.

Plastic fans is almost solely defined by success, we have barely had any for 10 years...

Name a club with fewer plastics in say the top 12 of Europe (coefficients wise).
Original post by Pete_91
Plastic fans is almost solely defined by success, we have barely had any for 10 years...

Name a club with fewer plastics in say the top 12 of Europe (coefficients wise).

There's more to plastic than just success, but we both know where this 'discussion' is going so I cba
Original post by Straight up G
There's more to plastic than just success, but we both know where this 'discussion' is going so I cba

I interpreted plastic fans as glory hunters, not people from outside the geographic area of the club. Using either definition United are probably the worst of the lot anyway.
Since SUG doesn't want to propagate this argument.

Most people our age are Arsenal fans which just happened to coincide with the 2nd most successful period in their history, it just so happens that there are a lot of Chelsea fans our age too, who at the time were in the most successful period of their history. Willing to bet that 20 years ago, there were much less Arsenal fans in london than there are now.

So what do you think happened in those 20 years that made so many Arsenal fans? 2004 maybe?
Lots of Arsenal fans around my age supported the club because of how popular Thierry Henry was. Soon as he left and our 9 year period was about to start, loads of kids jumped ship to UTD and Chelsea.

When I first saw Arsenal play being 5 years old I had know idea what the league was or what any of the teams were. I saw Henry play though and I decided to keep watching his matches since he was meant to be my "boy hood hero" :rolleyes:

Probably the biggest reason I support Arsenal up till today is for nostalgia reasons and how much I use to watch the club as a kid. Probably the same for current fans my age too. You could say there's a little bit of glory hunting in there but the same could be said for most other club/fans too
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest