The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

how many marks was the last question worth?
Original post by Magnesium
Yaay!:biggrin: I think this paper went quite well :biggrin:

Yeah same here but I found out on this thread that there was a question I didn't see (about the ion tests with A,B,C,D)! I just don't remember coming across the question which is kind of bugging me... but at least I answered all the other Qs :biggrin:
Original post by fewik
How many people put AB were similar and CD were different?
And how many people wrote magnesium sulfate and chloride for the last question?

:frown:

That question sucked...it could surely be interpreted both ways?

AB same because they both produce hydrogen gas and are acidic and CD different because they were different tests.

OR

CD same because they both produced white precipitate and it asked what he could see and AB different because one would be more reactive and fizz more or one would have a more acidic pH than the other yet he wouldn't see a different if the solution was simply white?

(I got so confused and changed my answer)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by romaiseb
Yeah same here but I found out on this thread that there was a question I didn't see (about the ion tests with A,B,C,D)! I just don't remember coming across the question which is kind of bugging me... but at least I answered all the other Qs :biggrin:

Ahh that's okay. It's 6 marks but hopefully you got all the others correct and you'll still get your A* :smile:
Reply 1164
Original post by sammmyyy
That question sucked...it could surely be interpreted both ways?

AB same because they both produce hydrogen gas and are acidic and CD different because they were different tests.

OR

CD same because they both produced white precipitate and it asked what he could see and AB different because one would be more reactive and fizz more or one would have a more acidic pH than the other yet he wouldn't see a different if the solution was simply white?

(I got so confused and changed my answer)

Exactly! I went with your second one after 'OR'.
Original post by Sulfur
Exact same feelings - messed up stupid and simple questions though. :frown:

I have a tendency to make careless mistakes :biggrin: but I had enough time to go over my answers and correct some. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be in our favour :smile:
I wrote about AB being together and CD this paper had lacked alot scientific knowledge!! and questions where a bit to general :frown:
Reply 1167
How many marks was the last question worth?
Reply 1168
Original post by iodqwm
How many marks was the last question worth?

Does no one know??
Was is h2SO4 or H+H+SO4
And I thought reduction was adding electrons (thats what it said about electrolysis) not removing oxygen
Original post by Magnesium
For the rates of reaction 6 marker, did anyone put that the rate of reaction was fast at first because of the high concentration and large surface area of the zinc metal and then it decreased at B because some of the reactants were used up and then it stopped at C because all the reactants had been used up in the collisions and there were no more reactions to be made by the collisions? or something along those lines :tongue:

I said something along them lines but I didnt feel it was enough so I went on to talk about other irrelevant crap related to the rate if reaction perhaps not applicable with that specific question
Reply 1171
Original post by Amyjonesx
How many marks does everyone think ill get if i put this

C similar because it formed an insoluble precipitate
D similar because it formed an insoluble precipitate

A different because hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid have different pH's
B different because adding magnesium would result in different salts being made (magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate)

each section was worth 3 marks so 6 overall

I don't think that's right because of the c and d bit. I don't think they're looking for the same explanation. But you might be right if the mark scheme accepts any answer with a reasonable explantion.
Original post by iodqwm
I don't think that's right because of the c and d bit. I don't think they're looking for the same explanation. But you might be right if the mark scheme accepts any answer with a reasonable explantion.

I didnt understand because it only showed hcl with nitrate solution not with the barium and sulphuric acid was only shown reacting with the barium not the silver nitrate
Original post by Swag>education
Was is h2SO4 or H+H+SO4
And I thought reduction was adding electrons (thats what it said about electrolysis) not removing oxygen

When you are referring to electrolysis yes, but in the case of mining you are reducing the copper oxide (removing oxygen) and oxidising carbon to form carbon dioxide
Reply 1174
Original post by brodingoson
I put the exact same as you, I think it's right, so 6 marks...haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get so happy because there's a totally different answer which makes just as much sense:

A similar as both HCL and H2SO4 are acids so their PH's are lower than 7.
B similar as they both react to produce hydrogen.

C different because it produces a white precipitate for the reaction with HCL whereas the H2SO4 would not react with silver.
D different because it produces a white precipitate when the H2SO4 reacts with barium whereas barium and HCL would not form precipitates.
Reply 1175
I didnt understand because it only showed hcl with nitrate solution not with the barium and sulphuric acid was only shown reacting with the barium not the silver nitrate

That was a difference. Barium reacting with sulfuric acid but not HCL.
Reply 1176
Original post by iodqwm
Does no one know??

The page with A,B,C,D tests came to 6 marks
Then there was a page after it worth 2 marks (naming salts)
Reply 1177
Please guys, does anyone know how many marks the last question was worth because i think i misread it. I thought it was with magnesium.

Oh thanks sulfur>

2 marks is not much to lose.
Original post by iodqwm
Don't get so happy because there's a totally different answer which makes just as much sense:

A similar as both HCL and H2SO4 are acids so their PH's are lower than 7.
B similar as they both react to produce hydrogen.

C different because it produces a white precipitate for the reaction with HCL whereas the H2SO4 would not react with silver.
D different because it produces a white precipitate when the H2SO4 reacts with barium whereas barium and HCL would not form precipitates.

That is exactly what I did =)
Oh wait.. no.. for B I said that "nothing happens at all". I thought that magnesium only reacted like that when it was put in COLD water. >>><<<<
(edited 9 years ago)
Was is h2SO4 or H+H+SO4

I also put reduction was gaining electrons.
Is it wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending