The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15

Every team leaves something to chance. You just said how good united 08 were yet a penalty slip was the difference between CL and no CL

Well those five minutes count don't they. It really is a poor argument, if you can just discount random five minute periods then you can say basically anything. United would've taken Bayern to extra time and maybe won, Holland would've taken Spain to penalties and maybe won, Liverpool would've lost to Milan etc.

You can give Utd 2008 the benefit of the doubt because they were genuinely exceptional, showed that time and time again. As did Spain in 2010 etc.In contrast Utd 1999 side muddled their way through and relied on missed penalties, last minute equalisers in other games, injury time set pieces.

So you've got a side that didnt play exceptional football, and which is remembered for an achievement which they simply didnt 'deserve'. They won the trophies fair and square of course, but in contrast to the cliche, people do remember how they were won.

Would also say that Liverpool 2005 was an absolutely average side that won because Rafa Benitez is an exceptional knockout manager and because a vastly superior AC Milan side was over-confident after half time.
Reply 41
Original post by Zürich
You can give Utd 2008 the benefit of the doubt because they were genuinely exceptional, showed that time and time again. As did Spain in 2010 etc.In contrast Utd 1999 side muddled their way through and relied on missed penalties, last minute equalisers in other games, injury time set pieces.

So you've got a side that didnt play exceptional football, and which is remembered for an achievement which they simply didnt 'deserve'. They won the trophies fair and square of course, but in contrast to the cliche, people do remember how they were won.

Would also say that Liverpool 2005 was an absolutely average side that won because Rafa Benitez is an exceptional knockout manager and because a vastly superior AC Milan side was over-confident after half time.

Yeah this.

The 1999 United side was easily the weakest of the 4 treble winners. Inter 2010 tbh that team there wasn't too much difference in strength to them and Real at the time.

It's gotta be handed to Bayern 2012-13. That was domination in it's purest form.
Original post by Zürich

I don't see how they didn't deserve it. Why is Schmeichel being a fantastic keeper who saved penalties being disregarded? Why is a last minute equaliser less valid than an equaliser at any other time? Why is a set piece less valid than another kind of goal? A goal is a goal, in my opinion you get what you deserve in football, other than refereeing mistakes.
Original post by jam278
Yeah this.

The 1999 United side was easily the weakest of the 4 treble winners. Inter 2010 tbh that team there wasn't too much difference in strength to them and Real at the time.

It's gotta be handed to Bayern 2012-13. That was domination in it's purest form.

What is annoying is that you had Barca in 2011, Bayern in 2013 and Real in 2014, all of them absolutely brilliant but they only played each other well after at least one had peaked. You would pay alot of money to see any 2 of these teams play

I'd probably say Barca 2011 would come out on top though, easy to forget just how good they were really.
Can't be arsed to reply to all of this as a lot of it was the same point over & over and could have been summed up more succinctly.

Original post by 9MmBulletz
If something is difficult and unlikely to happen, then luck is required for that event to happen in that scenario. Luck plays a huge part in football, and you can't argue that United were lucky to win the FA Cup and Champions League seeing as they were a whisker away from losing both.

No :biggrin:.

So Liverpool would have been lucky if they won the league this season just because it was unlikely given the previous season?

They weren't better the year before. They got schooled by AC Milan 3-0. Ronaldo was at his peak (with United at least) and I don't think Milan would've stopped them as convincingly had they maintained their levels.

:rolleyes:

It was a makeshift defence and it was one game.

They also beat Roma 7-1 and played excellent stuff vs Milan in that first leg, miles better than anything they did the following season when they actually won it. They were honestly dull in 2007/8.

Plus, in 07, they had just bought Tevez and Hargreaves

We are not talking about 'on paper' :biggrin:.
I don't see how they didn't deserve it. Why is Schmeichel being a fantastic keeper who saved penalties being disregarded? Why is a last minute equaliser less valid than an equaliser at any other time? Why is a set piece less valid than another kind of goal? A goal is a goal, in my opinion you get what you deserve in football, other than refereeing mistakes.

Well anyone can score a set piece really, Leyton Orient would have a right go at Barca if they were given enough corners. And pretty much all Utd did in that final was score 2 corners and pray that Bayern would keep failing to convert their chances. Yes a goal is a goal, but dont expect people to forget how average Utd were in winning the game. In discussions of great teams, that matters very much.

Utd also deserved to win the PL also since they finished with most points, not saying that was a fluke. What I'm saying is that if Utd 1999 finished above Arsenal by 2 points(and Arsenal conceded a last minute goal that would have won them the title vs Leeds), and needed Bergkamp to miss a penalty to force a replay in the Cup, does that imply that Arsenal 1999 should also be somewhere near the list? I would say logically that it does. Neither team should be of course.

I'm not saying that Utd's achievement should be taken from them. I'm saying that in a discussion over great teams its not enough to slap medals on the table because people will asses the team based on a the dozens of games they played and make a judgement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Khallil
That Arsenal team was perhaps the greatest in history. They played the most attractive and effective football and went unbeaten for a whole season. Has Manchester United ever done that?

Has Arsenal won the treble?

Going unbeaten is overrated just because it sounds cool. Chelsea the following season lost 1 more game, but won 3 more. They were better.
Original post by Khallil
That Arsenal team was perhaps the greatest in history. They played the most attractive and effective football and went unbeaten for a whole season. Has Manchester United ever done that?

That is your opinion but you are wrong.
Reply 48
Original post by Khallil

Chelsea went unbeaten for over a year as well, just wasn't from the start of a season to the end. The 05-06 team would have probably beat Arsenal. We had the league wrapped up by christmas and tbh Arsenal were lucky to be unbeaten, while Chelsea were unlucky to not have the same unbeaten season.

Going unbeaten is overrated just because it sounds cool. Chelsea the following season lost 1 more game, but won 3 more. They were better.

Can you name one goal of genuine top quality from their season?

If not, then maybe this should send alarm bells ringing.

Original post by jam278
Chelsea went unbeaten for over a year as well, just wasn't from the start of a season to the end. The 05-06 team would have probably beat Arsenal. We had the league wrapped up by christmas and tbh Arsenal were lucky to be unbeaten, while Chelsea were unlucky to not have the same unbeaten season.

In what sense? You might say that Utd cheated us out of the 50th game, and we may have made it to 60, 70 or 80 unbeaten otherwise. I certainly remember the team having a mini collapse in the month after that loss, it was a blow to lose like that.

Also, it is worth noting that Arsenal were set up to score goals and win, whereas Chelsea were set up essentially not to be beaten. Which of them went unbeaten though? :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGk1Jaj8MZ4

:smile:
Reply 51

We went 39 PL games unbeaten as well after that City loss. So that's essentially an unbeaten season. We lost one league game in 52 games if you go as far back. Essentially the same as Arsenal, just that it wasn't in a run.
Reply 52
Original post by Zürich

In what sense? You might say that Utd cheated us out of the 50th game, and we may have made it to 60, 70 or 80 unbeaten otherwise. I certainly remember the team having a mini collapse in the month after that loss, it was a blow to lose like that.

Also, it is worth noting that Arsenal were set up to score goals and win, whereas Chelsea were set up essentially not to be beaten. Which of them went unbeaten though? :laugh:

Chelsea went unbeaten for 39 league games though so what is your point. We went for the length of games of a season unbeaten. Was the league performance of Bayern Munich in 2013 worse than Arsenals then even though they broke pretty much every record that season? :rolleyes:

You were lucky that Van Nistelrooy missed a pen and that Anelka didn't, that's the only thing that separates the two sides from being unbeaten. You know it and I know it.

If that pen wasn't the case we wouldn't even be having this conversation and you'll head off back to your dungeon.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Well anyone can score a set piece really, Leyton Orient would have a right go at Barca if they were given enough corners. And pretty much all Utd did in that final was score 2 corners and pray that Bayern would keep failing to convert their chances. Yes a goal is a goal, but dont expect people to forget how average Utd were in winning the game. In discussions of great teams, that matters very much.

Utd also deserved to win the PL also since they finished with most points, not saying that was a fluke. What I'm saying is that if Utd 1999 finished above Arsenal by 2 points(and Arsenal conceded a last minute goal that would have won them the title vs Leeds), and needed Bergkamp to miss a penalty to force a replay in the Cup, does that imply that Arsenal 1999 should also be somewhere near the list? I would say logically that it does.

I'm not saying that Utd's achievement should be taken from them. I'm saying that in a discussion over great teams its not enough to slap medals on the table because people will asses the team based on a the dozens of games they played and make a judgement.

You have to earn the corner in the first place.

It's not just the FA Cup though. Arsenal went out in the group stage of the CL, below Lens and Dynamo Kyiv. That tells me they shouldn't be on the list. There's small margins in football, that's just how it is http://www.arseweb.com/98-99/reports/240199.html

the winning goal came via a couple of deflections
That could be put down to luck, and then Arsenal wouldn't even be in the semis. Small margins.

Original post by Zürich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtmHj7zL4bM

2:40, quite a nice one. Anyway, despite what lots of people will have you believe, football is about defending as much as it is about attacking. And 15 goals conceded in a season is brilliant.
(edited 9 years ago)

A long shot?

And this is what is presented as the testament of that team's ability?

Arsenal in that era were serving this stuff up every week mate.
Original post by jam278
Chelsea went unbeaten for 39 league games though so what is your point. We went for the length of games of a season unbeaten. Was the league performance of Bayern Munich in 2013 worse than Arsenals then even though they broke pretty much every record that season? :rolleyes:

You were lucky that Van Nistelrooy missed a pen and that Anelka didn't, that's the only thing that separates the two sides from being unbeaten. You know it and I know it.

If that pen wasn't the case we wouldn't even be having this conversation and you'll head off back to your dungeon.

and Leeds United once were top of a calender year table in 2000? Nobody cares.

Van Nistelrooy missed a penalty, then again had Rooney not cheated us in the 50th game then we may well have made 60 so it's all swings and roundabouts really. End of the day, if you are unbeaten over a season and then some, then it cant be luck.

What you need to remember is that when you're on an unbeaten season run, every team in the land wants to be the team that ends it, other teams up their games. Whereas other teams couldnt have cared less about Chelsea's 39 games.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
A long shot?

You didn't say the goal had to be a specific type :biggrin:.

You posted a long shot as well :biggrin:.

That goal against Spurs is overrated by the way, there is nobody there until the last second and all he does is knock it to the side, it was just terrible defending, hardly something Messi would have been proud of.
Original post by Zürich
A long shot?

And this is what is presented as the testament of that team's ability?

I swear that third one was a long shot
(edited 9 years ago)
I think in Zurich's ideal world, after every game you would get awarded bonus points by a panel of judges, based on how beautifully you played
Original post by Wilfred Little
You didn't say the goal had to be a specific type :biggrin:.

You posted a long shot as well :biggrin:.

That goal against Spurs is overrated by the way, there is nobody there until the last second and all he does is knock it to the side, it was just terrible defending, hardly something Messi would have been proud of.

Always the sign of a strong argument when one reverts to technicalities.

Of course the defending was bad, but the defenders were paralysed with terror in all honesty. Henry was always very good at giving defenders enough rope to hang themselves.

Anyway, my original point stands. When you try to conjure up memories of the 2005 Chelsea side, what precisely do you think of? I'm genuinely coming up with nothing really. Ruthless and well organised yes, but hardly the stuff of footballing legend.

Latest