The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2580
Original post by romaiseb
sodium hydroxide isn't a gas is it? I'm so stupid :frown:
+ for the fertilizer question I said that fertilizers are used positively for fertilizers to increase growth of plants and increase yield - they are not just used for harmful reasons

NaOH is a liquid/solid I think (used to make soap too :tongue:)
Yup that works for the second question - knew I should've expanded it!
Original post by Sulfur
Oh wasn't there one about the reaction with sodium and water and sodium and alcohol? The difference was that sodium and water is a vigorous reaction whilst sodium and alcohol is a more steady and gentle reaction.

I put that sodium floats and melts in water but sinks in alcohol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2582
Original post by -sophia-
I put that sodium floats and melts in water but sinks in alcohol

Hmm aren't both answers correct? Can't remember the context of the question except a similar one came up in a past old spec paper we did in class.
Original post by Sulfur
Hmm aren't both answers correct? Can't remember the context of the question except a similar one came up in a past old spec paper we did in class.

I think so! :smile:
Original post by Sulfur
Similarity - both produce water H2O
Difference - hydrocarbons and oxygen produce CO2, hydrogen and oxygen doesn't

I thanks :biggrin: put that too :smile: i wasn't sure as not many in my school answered it, what did you put for the tittration 6 marker?
What two boxes did everyone join in the ester question?

Left hand side I put the second one (i think)
Right hand side I put the last one

It was the second and the fourth, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2nd and last i think?the one with ethanol and the one with water
Reply 2589
Original post by lyricalvibe

was it a 2 marker? and i thought it was one line?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iodqwm
was it a 2 marker?

One mark for left and one for right, I would expect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2591
I thanks :biggrin: put that too :smile: i wasn't sure as not many in my school answered it, what did you put for the tittration 6 marker?

I thought it was quite odd to be honest, don't even know why...

Titration 6 marker:

Fill burette with 25.0 cm3 of the acid
Pipette alkali into conical flask accurately
Put white tile under conical flask to observe reaction (change in colour) see change much more vividly
Slowly, drop by drop, add the acid to the alkali through the burette after adding about two drops of indicator
Keep adding until there's a colour change (neutralisation)
Calculate the total amount of acid used by total volume of acid - acid from end point
First titration is a rough titration, repeat at least three times to get +- 0.2 cm3 from rough titration
Once you've done three titrations, calculate the mean as it's accurate and the best estimate of the true value and takes into account the uncertainty of the data
(edited 9 years ago)
sodium hydroxide isn't a gas is it? I'm so stupid :frown:
+ for the fertilizer question I said that fertilizers are used positively for fertilizers to increase growth of plants and increase yield - they are not just used for harmful reasons

It is also useful as the world is growing and more food needs to be fed to people.

Yeah it was the 2nd box linked to the last box( beacuse each side of the reaction - 12 hydrogen atoms)
Thankfully it was a decent paper :biggrin:
So pleased, hopefully P7 goes well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2595
For the ammonia one I wrote:

Ammonia is used to help the world food corporation (meant to say production, still right?) so that people can have food - the benefits outweigh the risks of hurting people - it can be used as a fertiliser that doesn't hurt people, but can hurt animals

How many out of three would you say?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur

Ammonia is used to help the world food corporation (meant to say production, still right) so that people can have food - the benefits outweigh the risks of hurting people - it can be used as a fertiliser that doesn't hurt people, but can hurt animals

I'm not sure if you had to mention that it increased crop yield. Also, I'm not sure they'd mark the corporation part :s-smilie:
I'd say 2 maybe 3?
Reply 2597
Original post by olmyster911
I'm not sure if you had to mention that it increased crop yield. Also, I'm not sure they'd mark the corporation part :s-smilie:
I'd say 2 maybe 3?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Sulfur
I thought it was quite odd to be honest, don't even know why...

Titration 6 marker:

Fill burette with 25.0 cm3 of the acid
Pipette alkali into conical flask accurately
Put white tile under conical flask to observe reaction (change in colour) see change much more vividly
Slowly, drop by drop, add the acid to the alkali through the burette after adding about two drops of indicator
Keep adding until there's a colour change (neutralisation)
Calculate the total amount of acid used by total volume of acid - acid from end point
First titration is a rough titration, repeat at least three times to get +- 0.2 cm3 from rough titration
Once you've done three titrations, calculate the mean as it's accurate and the best estimate of the true value and takes into account the uncertainty of the data

Yep, it felt too much like C6
I said the same steps , i remembered your explanation partly aswell :smile: i also included about standard procedure and how that means accuracy and how it's scientific standard procedure-is this even right?- quickly and how everything is for accuracy, also said somethimg about ignoring oytliers for the mean but i didn'tgo intovas much detail as you with things like the white tile-i just couldn't remember it :frown:
What did you put to balance the equation?
Original post by Sulfur

Ammonia is used to help the world food corporation (meant to say production, still right?) so that people can have food - the benefits outweigh the risks of hurting people - it can be used as a fertiliser that doesn't hurt people, but can hurt animals

I think it'll be like

1 mark: ammomia is used in fertilizers
1mark: this can increase crop yeild (or similar),increased food production
3: other use e.g pharmaceutical

I don't recall it asking about wieghing it out so i don't think that's a point so 2/3 i think :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending