The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
Maybe he is to some people.
But he's actually a great person.

He's a great teacher to the younger/newer players, and he always gives his all.

Sometimes he might be frustrating for opposing fans in a match, but off the field he is actually an awesome guy.

None of us know what he's like off the pitch. Someone who can punch people in the head and bite them is probably not going to be the nicest person off the pitch, but we don't actually know. All we can say is based on what we do know, he's definitely a dickhead.
Maybe he is to some people.
But he's actually a great person.

He's a great teacher to the younger/newer players, and he always gives his all.

Sometimes he might be frustrating for opposing fans in a match, but off the field he is actually an awesome guy.

LOL lets just ignore the casual racism and biting along with the diving then shall we! :rolleyes: Him toning down his antics this season doesn't mean you can excuse his previous.

Credit to LFCs PR team for changing his image in such a way, some have now forgotten his history. Magnificent job.

Yeah, great person!! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stalin
French, German, English, Spanish, a bit of Japanese, and Italian? I stand corrected.

The guy just oozes class.

It's nothing special tbh. Spanish and Italian are so similar, you can understand most of one if you're fluent in the other.

Most Swiss people would be proficient in french, german, italian and english too. Belgians too bar the italian.

Wish I continued French and Spanish to a-level, if only it wasn't considered useless for my degree :frown:
Original post by Stalin
I suppose learning Italian would be a walk in the part with French and Spanish already under your belt.

His level in German is hardly surprising considering he's from Strasbourg and the surrounding areas. I find it interesting that despite having spent a considerable amount of time in London he continues to think in French and hasn't tweaked his stereotypical accent.

True.

Little known fact is that Wenger's father was forcibly conscripted into the SS during WW2 and ended up fighting in Siberia :s-smilie:
Original post by hello101010
None of us know what he's like off the pitch. Someone who can punch people in the head and bite them is probably not going to be the nicest person off the pitch, but we don't actually know. All we can say is based on what we do know, he's definitely a dickhead.

That's just your perception of him.
I agree he has done some very stupid things on the pitch, but what has he done this season that has annoyed you so much?

You of course have a bias against him like most opposing fans, stemming largely from jealousy of his world class ability.

Nobody can say for certain, but from interviews and reports from family and colleagues, he seems like a great guy.

We all do bad things; maybe not as bad as biting, but that's over now, cut him a little slack.
Original post by Zürich
I would think Wenger has better man management skills than either tbh, especially Mancini.

Yeah but I don't think Balotelli can be disciplined in the end.
Original post by Peggles_*
LOL lets just ignore the casual racism and biting along with the diving then shall we! :rolleyes: Him toning down his antics this season doesn't mean you can excuse his previous.

Credit to LFCs PR team for changing his image in such a way, some have now forgotten his history. Magnificent job.

Yeah, great person!! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Give it a rest now.

I never excused him for his precious antics; they cannot be defended.

Just look at my post above, cba to argue the same point twice.

You of course have a bias against him like most opposing fans, stemming largely from jealousy of his world class ability.

Nobody can say for certain, but from interviews and reports from family and colleagues, he seems like a great guy.

Why on earth would family/colleagues speak down on him in the first place? You can't just assume he's a great guy because these people are nailed down to praise him no matter how much of a dickhead he actually may be
Luis Suarez. His known throughout the galaxy 💥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Balotelli is an average player with flashes of brilliance. Not good enough for City, not good enough for Milan, but apparently good enough for Arsenal and justifies a 30M price-tag? I'll pass personally. Meanwhile Mandzukic is inches away from rejoining Wolfsburg.
That's just your perception of him.
I agree he has done some very stupid things on the pitch, but what has he done this season that has annoyed you so much?

We all do bad things; maybe not as bad as biting, but that's over now, cut him a little slack.

Just admit it :rolleyes: Giggs is a ****, I admit that, why can't you do the same?
Balotelli got 14 in 30, Giroud got 16 in 36. So Balo has a better record in a worse team.

Balotelli took penalties in a far worse league where the best team who set a points record were taken out of the champs league by galatasary
Original post by little_tom
Balotelli is an average player with flashes of brilliance. Not good enough for City, not good enough for Milan, but apparently good enough for Arsenal and justifies a 30M price-tag? I'll pass personally. Meanwhile Mandzukic is inches away from rejoining Wolfsburg.

You must be joking Surely? Balo is a quality player, he just needs the right motivation.

Mandzukic really worth £20M to Arsenal when we Giroud who performs the same role. Also Giroud will have 2 years of Prem experience under his belt
Reply 8653
Original post by NDGAARONDI
Oh I thought it was only Chelsea who loaned out players forever, 'abusing' the loan system. :rolleyes:

When and where did I claim this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sevchenko
You must be joking Surely? Balo is a quality player, he just needs the right motivation.

Mandzukic really worth £20M to Arsenal when we Giroud who performs the same role. Also Giroud will have 2 years of Prem experience under his belt

Inconsistent player. Not wort £30M. When he's not producing on his day he's offering nothing else to the team. Ask any Milan fan and they will tell you he is the most frustrating player to watch.

Mandzukic is a major upgrade to Giroud. Mandzukic was ranked 6th in goals:minutes last season in Europe. Balotelli was nowhere near it. Only the likes of Suarez/Messi/Ronaldo/Ibra can boast better.
Reply 8655
Original post by sevchenko
Good post, I tend to agree with most of it except the Suarez part. Suarez and Balo are two vey different players mentality wise. Suarez is such a great player because he ALWAYS gives 110% on the pitch every game, he works hard for the team and that naturally raises the work rate of players around him.

Even when he was attracting negative headlines he was still consistent top level performer. You can't say that with Balo, he turns up when he wants.

Yeah I agree, maybe I should have put it another way. I was referring to the crux of the problem, which is pretty much seems to be the same case for both Suarez & Balo.

Suarez gives it is all no doubt, and his controversial antics are a result of this. When he's not winning he does all he can to either win or to stop the other team from winning.

With Balo, he just does dumb **** when he's bored, or to amuse himself..

Both problems stem from immaturity, a mature footballer would know how far to go before it gets too much, and likewise a mature footballer will know what to do and what not to do off the pitch.

The maturity of both players seemed to be the crux of the problem and this season we've seen a more mature Suarez. I know that Wenger can catalyse the maturing process of Balo too.

We have to remember that Balo is only 23, when he set off fireworks in the bathroom he was 20-21. When Mourinho dealt with him he was even younger. He's got a whole career infront of him, and has already cemented his position in the Italian side, and is second to non for Milan, in terms of striking options. In 30 appearances, he gets 14 goals & 6 assists which is not a bad stat at all.

I think he can be a real good striking option to us. It'll then give us a range of attacking options, with him, giroud, Campbell and/or sonogo (depending on if he's loaned)

And let's not forget, he drove around dresses up as Santa on Christmas, giving people on the streets money LOL
Original post by AR_95
Why on earth would family/colleagues speak down on him in the first place? You can't just assume he's a great guy because these people are nailed down to praise him no matter how much of a dickhead he actually may be

you're telling me i can't assume him to be nice, but you're assuming him not to be.
isn't that what family are meant to do?
of course they have their own bias, but they can also see who he really is when he isn't in the outside world or on the pitch being watched by millions.

nobody can ever defend his biting antics, but a few moments of madness do not define a person.

you're a good poster and i normally agree with you, but i simply can't on this.

Just admit it :rolleyes: Giggs is a ****, I admit that, why can't you do the same?

i would admit it if it were true.
on the field he has extreme desire to win; maybe that can at times cause him to go OTT.
but how does that make him a bad person off the field?

without sounding too humanitarian, he is a human being like the rest of us.
you may not like him, but that does not at all mean he is a bad person.
Original post by little_tom
Inconsistent player. Not wort £30M. When he's not producing on his day he's offering nothing else to the team. Ask any Milan fan and they will tell you he is the most frustrating player to watch.

Mandzukic is a major upgrade to Giroud. Mandzukic was ranked 6th in goals:minutes last season in Europe. Balotelli was nowhere near it. Only the likes of Suarez/Messi/Ronaldo/Ibra can boast better.

You have to ask yourself: Why is he inconsistent? 1 There isn't enough quality in the Milan team to compensate for Balo when he's playing poorly.

2 His got the wrong mentality. He only seems motivated to play for Italy with any sense of work ethic. I fully believe Wenger could coach him to improve his all round team play and work ethic

His child, upcoming marriage and the competition in the Italy NT are helping Balo knuckle down and concentrate on Football. This would be the best time go for him. If we do sign him, like any other player, there are risks but If he did come I fully expect our midfield and wingers to carry Balo until Wenger coached him to work more for the team.

Imo De Rossi summed it up perfectly

“Balotelli is a player with great quality and his goal was scored with the movement of a real hitman.

“He has the quality of the greatest strikers, but sometimes doesn’t move the way they do. This is a problem for him, as he’d score triple the goals if he made the right movements.

“Mario is starting to understand that now, as his team-mates and the Coach help him. You can see he is beginning to mature tactically.

“In my view if Balotelli learned to run into space and stretch out the team, he’d become unstoppable, because physically there are no defenders who can hold him.”
you're telling me i can't assume him to be nice, but you're assuming him not to be.
isn't that what family are meant to do?
of course they have their own bias, but they can also see who he really is when he isn't in the outside world or on the pitch being watched by millions.

nobody can ever defend his biting antics, but a few moments of madness do not define a person.

you're a good poster and i normally agree with you, but i simply can't on this.

on the field he has extreme desire to win; maybe that can at times cause him to go OTT.

Luis Suarez is probably capable of murder truth be told.

You think Gerrard doesn't have extreme desire to win? Almost all footballers do, but very few do the **** he does. It's disgusting. It doesn't necessarily make him a bad person off the field, but chances are if you can do the stuff he does on the pitch you can do it off.

Latest