The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3020
Original post by JazzyT17
Why are there only 6 planets? Something like that. :smile:

Ah yup (just been answered on this page/page before - to do with discovery or not being seen with naked-eye)
What did everyone put for the space telescopes 6 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3022
What was the question about astronomers observing distant galaxies and confidence? What did people put?
Original post by Sulfur
What was the question about astronomers observing distant galaxies and confidence? What did people put?

I said things about peer review and how other astronomers need to calculate it to prove the claim is true etc :tongue:
Original post by olmyster911
What did everyone put for the space telescopes 6 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put the advantages of space telescopes compared to ground based telescopes e.g can absorb more wavelengths of EM radiation and can avoid cloudy nights and atmospheric refraction etc etc and said that since we can collect more radiation it leads to bright images and clearer, sharper images are produced which helps with our accuracy of calculations of parallax. For the cepheid variables part, i put that since we have to measure period, luminosity and observed brightness to calculate distance, it means that the brighter the image, the easier it is for us to determine the distance etc. I also said that since our parallax measurements are more accurate, you can essentially compare the two measurements (parallax and cepheid) to double check the distances and calculations :tongue:
Original post by Magnesium
I put the advantages of space telescopes compared to ground based telescopes e.g can absorb more wavelengths of EM radiation and can avoid cloudy nights and atmospheric refraction etc etc and said that since we can collect more radiation it leads to bright images and clearer, sharper images are produced which helps with our accuracy of calculations of parallax. For the cepheid variables part, i put that since we have to measure period, luminosity and observed brightness to calculate distance, it means that the brighter the image, the easier it is for us to determine the distance etc. I also said that since our parallax measurements are more accurate, you can essentially compare the two measurements (parallax and cepheid) to double check the distances and calculations :tongue:

You said lots more points than me, that actually answered the question xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
You said lots more points than me, that actually answered the question xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you put? xD

I definitely missed a mark on the page where there were 3 equation questions and on the last question i forgot about power = energy x time and calculated it wrong :tongue:
What did you put? xD

I definitely missed a mark on the page where there were 3 equation questions and on the last question i forgot about power = energy x time and calculated it wrong :tongue:

I put that they bypass the atmosphere so avoid light pollution, dust particles etc so they get a better view.. uhhhm..the aperture is large to detect smaller areas of radiation so that means it can detect dim cepheid variables & distant galaxies/stars blah blah blah
I had no idea what to put ahaha
How many marks do you think I'd get :s-smilie:

I actually managed to answer all 3, but idk what everyone else put so I can't say whether I got them right.
Where did you have to mention the power equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EVERYONE!~
Finally we can relax. x3
Original post by DDan123
Phew I thought I did badly in this exam until I read what everyone else put down for some of the dodgy questions :tongue:
Overall it wasn't a bad paper, would have preferred more calculations but the 6 markers were nice.
Woop end of exams!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you joking?! :O
Original post by Sulfur
Didn't they repeat that lens question from last year?

You use an objective lens because it has a greater aperture than the wavelength so it collects more light radiation, that means that there's less diffraction and the eyepiece has more power so it creates a clearer image?

I'm not sure if it was last year or the spec but i remember the question, i also remembered your answer on this thread :biggrin: you've been so useful on here :biggrin: thanks :biggrin:

I meant the question with the diagram, i swear down it's always meant to be one set of rays going straight and one at an angle?! It had 2 at an angle and made me so paranoid
Reply 3031
Lol I can barely remember any of my answers, I think I got all the maths one right. I got the 4 mark on drawing a lens thing definitely wrong, and I wrote that red is hotter than yellow on the axis so dropped another mark there definitely. I think it was the hardest of the 7s, and I didn't do too great (probably mid-high 30s) but WHO CARES :biggrin:
I put that they bypass the atmosphere so avoid light pollution, dust particles etc so they get a better view.. uhhhm..the aperture is large to detect smaller areas of radiation so that means it can detect dim cepheid variables & distant galaxies/stars blah blah blah
I had no idea what to put ahaha
How many marks do you think I'd get :s-smilie:

I actually managed to answer all 3, but idk what everyone else put so I can't say whether I got them right.
Where did you have to mention the power equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umm probably 3/4? You were definitely in the right region for your answers :smile:

Same i answered all three but know i got the last one wrong :tongue:
Power = energy x time for the very bottom question about the star's main sequence and how long it's life would be. I got 0.06r seconds but that's wrong (obviously :tongue: ), the actual answer was 6 x 10^x. (I don't know what x was but it was 6 times 10 to the power of something :tongue:
Umm probably 3/4? You were definitely in the right region for your answers :smile:

Power = energy x time for the very bottom question about the star's main sequence and how long it's life would be. I got 0.06r seconds but that's wrong (obviously :tongue: ), the actual answer was 6 x 10^x. (I don't know what x was but it was 6 times 10 to the power of something :tongue:

Could you explain how the 6x 10 to something (i think 30 something but could be different question :tongue: ) was gotten as that was similar to one of my answers ? :biggrin:
Plus how could you use power rquation?i thought we only knew mass lost and energy?you still have 2 unknown variables?

I think I'm being an idiot or don't remember the question correctly :tongue:
Original post by azo
Lol I can barely remember any of my answers, I think I got all the maths one right. I got the 4 mark on drawing a lens thing definitely wrong, and I wrote that red is hotter than yellow on the axis so dropped another mark there definitely. I think it was the hardest of the 7s, and I didn't do too great (probably mid-high 30s) but WHO CARES :biggrin:

Exactly!
Just lay back and chill :biggrin:
I'm having a freaking nap at 5-the time i normally start revising :biggrin:

Oh yay :3

Oh yeaahh! Hmm..I'm not sure how you got 0.06 xD I got 6x10^ of something. I can't remember specifically.

I hope I got 6 marks on the last 6 marker :crossedf:
Original post by lyricalvibe
Could you explain how the 6x 10 to something (i think 30 something but could be different question :tongue: ) was gotten as that was similar to one of my answers ? :biggrin:
Plus how could you use power rquation?i thought we only knew mass lost and energy?you still have 2 unknown variables?

I think I'm being an idiot or don't remember the question correctly :tongue:

Gosh i have no idea, my friend told me how she did it, i didn't do it myself :tongue:

Oh wait, Energy transferred = power x time... Yeah i really don't know how my friend did it but quite a couple of them got 6 x 10 to the power of something xD

If you think about it though, we're talking about a star's main sequence life, it couldn't have just been a few seconds since it is it's most stable condition :tongue:
Oh yay :3

Oh yeaahh! Hmm..I'm not sure how you got 0.06 xD I got 6x10^ of something. I can't remember specifically.

I hope I got 6 marks on the last 6 marker :crossedf:

Yeah i think that's right! :biggrin:
I think i divided the total mass lost by the luminosity xD How did you do it? :tongue:

Same, the last 6 marker was a miracle sent down from Heaven. Actually all the 6 markers were pretty good :tongue: Did you recommend Site C?
I think i divided the total mass lost by the luminosity xD How did you do it? :tongue:

Same, the last 6 marker was a miracle sent down from Heaven. Actually all the 6 markers were pretty good :tongue: Did you recommend Site C?

Gosh i have no idea, my friend told me how she did it, i didn't do it myself :tongue:

Oh wait, Energy transferred = power x time... Yeah i really don't know how my friend did it but quite a couple of them got 6 x 10 to the power of something xD

If you think about it though, we're talking about a star's main sequence life, it couldn't have just been a few seconds since it is it's most stable condition :tongue:

I did total masss over luminosity aswell and i think i got 6 x 10^34/35 so I'm now a bit more hopeful for that question :smile:
I have no idea where they found power but if it works it works :lol:
How'd you both find it anyway?

I can't even remember :biggrin:

Yeah, it was definitely Site C! I'm not sure I'd say they were all good, but that's because I didn't know how to answer the other 2 :smile:
The one about mass & a star's life especially - I was confused :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending