The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fizzel
If you finish outside the top 2, that will be a joke with your squad, Jose should be fired for anything less than 2nd. I know underplaying your odds is the thing with Chelsea these days but that's a title winning squad, and with the players you have flexibility in how to play.

Liverpool imo I think will get between 85-90 points this season. I still think they have the best setup in terms of the league, similar to United's setup under Fergie. They've added some midfielders and have depth in the striker position now. I would say that anything under 85 points for City is a failure and Chelsea. But I think City can get somewhere close to the record if they click, Liverpool could potentially get 90 points too.

Our fixture list isn't the greatest as well, think we have away games vs the top 4 after CL matches or something like that... if we can get through that bit of the season, then the title is a possibility.
I'd rate Liverpool as good for 3rd. Still haven't address their main issue which is the fact they concede too many goals, until that happens they are dependant upon keeping the scoring up. In the cases of both strikers, both have very difficult seasons to replicate. If they finish higher than that its a failure of a season from either Chelsea or City, unacceptable for either of them with the squads and managers.

I think that having Gerrard as the DM with little protection is what is causing them to concede so much. Henderson burst forward a lot which gives him a lot of work to do defensively, this is obviously where Can comes in. He'll play alongside Henderson and will probably be more defensive. Henderson to me seems like he can have a Ramsey style season next year, he gets into good positions and has scored a few good goals.

I don't think Sturridge has too much difficulty replicating, he's been in an RVP style streak for 18 months and will get a proper pre-season again and a good rest since England were knocked out early. As long as he is not injured, he will get 20 league goals. I don't think they'll change their attacking style too.
Liverpool to finish 5th.
City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
Utd
Everton
Spurs
Original post by Zürich
Liverpool to finish 5th.

I think we'll do much better next season, this is the friendliest fixture list we've had in a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
I think we'll do much better next season, this is the friendliest fixture list we've had in a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea the fixture list i good, esp the spread of the big games and the lack of a March cliff for the first time in years. The way I see it, Arsenal nearly always improve with a settled team and last season we managed 79 points. Not saying we're going to be good against the big sides, but we surely do better and we're obviously unbelievable flat track bullies. All this with players like Walcott out for basically the entire season(think this was crucial in our big game poverty last season as Theo is our big game player tbh) and a ridiculous injury record generally. If we keep a fit squad and have the, realistic, window I think we'll have then 80-87 should be our target. The title is obviously a long shot but it's not out of the question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fizzel
If you finish outside the top 2, that will be a joke with your squad, Jose should be fired for anything less than 2nd. I know underplaying your odds is the thing with Chelsea these days but that's a title winning squad, and with the players you have flexibility in how to play.

I'd rate Liverpool as good for 3rd. Still haven't address their main issue which is the fact they concede too many goals, until that happens they are dependant upon keeping the scoring up. In the cases of both strikers, both have very difficult seasons to replicate. If they finish higher than that its a failure of a season from either Chelsea or City, unacceptable for either of them with the squads and managers.

couldn't agree more with the entirity of this post.

chelsea should be embarrased about finishing 3rd last season.
them and city are so far ahead of everybody else, it's ridiculous when you look at their squad depth.

i agree; 3rd is the highest i'm expecting (would be nice to trump arsenal again), but i'm very happy with 4th.
as you said, the only way we would finish higher is if chelsea/city have a big, big mess up.

people shouldn't expect too much from us next season (i'm talking to you jam). we just happened to have a team that gelled really well last season, and we weren't hindered by europe; is will be very different in the season to come.

however, it would be dangerous to underestimate us again.
we surprised everybody last season with a somewhat mediocre side if i'm honest.
now we have the money to improve both the quality and depth of our team, so anything could happen.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
couldn't agree more with the entirity of this post.

chelsea should be embarrased about finishing 3rd last season.
them and city are so far ahead of everybody else, it's ridiculous when you look at their squad depth.

i agree; 3rd is the highest i'm expecting (would be nice to trump arsenal again), but i'm very happy with 4th.
as you said, the only way we would finish higher is if chelsea/city have a big, big mess up.

people shouldn't expect too much from us next season (i'm talking to you jam). we just happened to have a team that gelled really well last season, and we weren't hindered by europe; is will be very different in the season to come.

however, it would be dangerous to underestimate us again.
we surprised everybody last season with a somewhat mediocre side if i'm honest.
now we have the money to improve both the quality and depth of our team, so anything could happen.

Why should Chelsea be embarrassed to finish 3rd?

It wasn't good enough, but City clearly had the strongest team, while Chelsea were lacking in key positions, our striker and a creative CM. Liverpool also have the best setup in the league by a distance. On top of this actually making a challenge for the CL rather than the other teams pitiful attempts at a CL campaign affected our league form predictably.

If we decided to just let ourselves get knocked out by Galatasaray like Demichelis and Szcechny did we'd have won the league but since we actually bother with europe and don't want to be whipping boys like the rest of the lot and increase the coefficients we actually had to do well. It's affected our league challenges the past 3 years and we play the most games in a season compared to the other teams.

When a team works overtime and another team has half days and inset days it's unfair to compare their performances. Especially when you consider the high intensity and work rate needed for Chelsea's philosophy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Also add to that Liverpools squad last season is no worse than the United team that won the title two seasons ago, in fact you can see glaring similarities between the squad.

Good strike force, dodgy defence and mediocre midfield. You'd have said that for both teams. Which is why I say that Liverpool have the best setup for the league, United have been doing this for years and it works year on year. I don't see why it won't be the same for Liverpool.
Original post by jam278

It's not good enough, but City clearly had the strongest team, while Chelsea were lacking in key positions, our striker and a creative CM. On top of this actually making a challenge for the CL rather than the other teams pitiful attempts at a CL campaign affected our league form predictably.

If we decided to just let ourselves get knocked out by Galatasaray like Demichelis and Szcechny did we'd have won the league but since we actually bother with europe and don't want to be whipping boys like the rest of the lot and increase the coefficients we actually had to do well. It's affected our league challenges the past 3 years and we play the most games in a season compared to the other teams.

When a team works overtime and another team has half days and inset days it's unfair to compare their performances.

Well the PL is way behind atm and Chelsea are the only team prepared to play uber-negative football from the last 16 onwards to compensate. Dont see how getting to the Semis that way is better than giving it a go against Bayern/Barca in the last 16 like the other English sides did. You might argue that the other English clubs fly the flag for a brand of football which wont inspire ridicule from the continentals.

And in all honesty Gala/Psg is a very straightforward route to the Semis and A.Madrid had few problems against you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278

It wasn't good enough, but City clearly had the strongest team, while Chelsea were lacking in key positions, our striker and a creative CM. Liverpool also have the best setup in the league by a distance. On top of this actually making a challenge for the CL rather than the other teams pitiful attempts at a CL campaign affected our league form predictably.

When a team works overtime and another team has half days and inset days it's unfair to compare their performances. Especially when you consider the high intensity and work rate needed for Chelsea's philosophy.

it isn't the placing they should be embarrassed of; 3rd in the PL is a great acheivement.
but when you compare them to the rest of the league, only city are on their level.
it should be chelsea/city top 2 for the forseeable future.

yes, i agree we had the best setup.
we worked the most efficiently with what we had, placing second only a few points behind a club stronger than us in 9/11 first team positions.

it is hard to compare, however there are a few things that evens out any distortion of comparison.
chelsea/city have been in the CL consecutively for a long time, therefore have been receiving CL money for a long time (not that they need it).
as a result, they can afford to have larger squads with a great deal of quality and depth, making it easier to cope with more games

liverpool on the other hand of course played less games, but due to being up and down in recent years, they couldn't realistically afford to have a squad as large or with as much quality as city/chelsea.
so even though chelsea played more games, the players and the resources they hold does help to even out the comparison a little.

it obviously isn't a perfect comparison since we could play our first team for most/all games and you guys had to rotate, but then you look at chelsea/city bench and you see all the players that would walk in to our team.

am i making any sense or was that all utter rubbish?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Well the PL is way behind atm and Chelsea are the only team prepared to play uber-negative football from the last 16 onwards to compensate. Dont see how getting to the Semis that way is better than giving it a go against Bayern/Barca in the last 16 like the other English sides did.

You might argue that the other English clubs fly the flag for a brand of football which wont inspire ridicule from the continentals.

Says the team who spent the majority of the two legs against Bayern camped inside their box and spent a whole game parking bus vs Dortmund away.
Same goes for United vs Bayern. If Chelsea play anti football then what did United do for the Bayern legs? That's almost at the level of Chelsea vs Barcelona.
Same goes for City vs Barcelona. They spent the whole game defending.

You were all getting whipped by your respective teams while playing **** football while we're at it and you can't take it. Ain't bothered to hear your blue hating tinted nonsense either.

You argue that the other English clubs are busy trying to get rid of an extra CL spot while Chelsea actually are the main reason why we aren't going to be overtaken by Italy or France in the next few years. :rolleyes:
it isn't the placing they should be embarrassed of; 3rd in the PL is a great acheivement.
but when you compare them to the rest of the league, only city are on their level.
it should be chelsea/city top 2 for the forseeable future.

yes, i agree we had the best setup.
we worked the most efficiently with what we had, placing second only a few points behind a team stronger than us in 9/11 first team positions.

it is hard to compare, however there are a few things that evens out ny distortion of comparison.
chelsea/city have been in the CL consecutively for a long time, therefore have been receiving CL money for a long time.
as a result, they can afford to have larger squads with a great deal of quality and depth, making it easier to cope with more games

liverpool on the other hand of course played less games, but due to being up and down in recent years, they couldn't realistically afford to have a squad as large or with as much quality as city/chelsea.
so even though chelsea played more games, the players and the resources they hold does help to even out the comparison a little.

it obviously isn't a perfect comparison since we can play our first team for most/all games, but then you look at chelsea/city bench and you see all the players that would walk in to our team.

am i making any sense or was that all utter rubbish?

We had a pretty terrible strike force so couldn't score goals and had no creative midfielder from deep. We struggle against the fodder who make up most of the league.

We were lacking strength and depth in key positions last season.

Liverpool. Well like I said, compare your first 11 to United's when they won the title. The only difference in quality was the setup, an attacking outfit works best as you can outscore the opposition, who aren't as good attacking against you.

Even when playing a defensive style of football, you need around 2 clear consistent source of goals, Chelsea in 05-07 had 2 of Lampard, Drogba, Crespo having high scoring or decent goal tallied seasons.

Atlético had Raul Garcia, Villa and Costa getting good tallies. Chelsea had one player who had a decent season goal wise last season. How are they going to win the title like that?

United had Rooney and RVP 2 seasons ago, you have Sturridge and Suarez. City Aguero and Toure.

So while I get you. I disagree. There's more to making a team than money. Which is why I think that Liverpool will get top 2, City will get it too probably.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
We had a pretty terrible strike force so couldn't score goals and had no creative midfielder from deep. We struggle against the fodder who make up most of the league.

We were lacking strength and depth in key positions last season.

Liverpool. Well like I said, compare your first 11 to United's when they won the title. The only difference in quality was the setup, an attacking outfit works best as you can outscore the opposition, who aren't as good attacking against you.

Even when playing a defensive style of football, you need around 2 clear consistent source of goals, Chelsea in 05-07 had 2 of Lampard, Drogba, Crespo having high scoring or decent goal tallied seasons.

Atlético had Raul Garcia, Villa and Costa getting good tallies. Chelsea had one player who had a decent season goal wise last season. How are they going to win the title like that?

United had Rooney and RVP 2 seasons ago, you have Sturridge and Suarez. City Aguero and Toure.

So while I get you. I disagree. There's more to making a team than money. Which is why I think that Liverpool will get top 2, City will get it too probably.

yeah i do get your point, but no team is ever perfect.
you can win a league without a perfect team; united were winning it with a "good" team for ages!

i agree; we are very similar to united under SAF.
the biggest differnce is that we don't have the greatest manager of all time, we have a good manager who is still improving at the higher levels.

united weren't as bad defensively as you make out though
vidic and ferdinand were stupidly solid, and with that lanky dutchman in goal, their defence wasn't half bad
we have a better attack, but our defence is stupidly weak right now.

in most matches we can outscore, but when we come up against a solid defence (i.e: chelsea/city or a lesser team at their home fortress), we very much struggle.

you underestimate your team.
i do think you could've done better than costa
i would've tried to get benzema, even at the cost of trading a decent midfielder of yours.
however i seriously think you will win the league.

pellegrini is good, but city's biggest problem is not having a world class manager like mourinho or SAF that can get the best out of a team.
if they had that, they would win the title literally every year.
Original post by Loat
As if Italy are going to have a chance of getting their 4th CL spot back for years. While France have one team getting beyond the group stages.

To be fair, the Europa is worth a lot in this respect, so Chelsea did a good job getting knocked out of their group in 2012-13.

Next few years it's possible. Juve do well and Roma. While if the Milan clubs and Napoli do well in europa/CL depending on where they get then it's possible they can overtake us.

CL final next year could easily be PSG vs Monaco and with the shuffling of teams in the prem it's conceivable that the English teams could be put in death groups. If United e.g. lose a year out of CL, they will most likely end up 2nd in their group and have Madrid/Barca/Bayern in their group, a Monaco and a Napoli/Roma then they could easily get knocked out.
That's why I was saying that. Coefficients.
yeah i do get your point, but no team is ever perfect.
you can win a league without a perfect team; united were winning it with a "good" team for ages!

i agree; we are very similar to united under SAF.
the biggest differnce is that we don't have the greatest manager of all time, we have a good manager who is still improving at the higher levels.

united weren't as bad defensively as you make out though
vidic and ferdinand were stupidly solid, and with that lanky dutchman in goal, their defence wasn't half bad
we have a better attack, but our defence is stupidly weak right now.

in most matches we can outscore, but when we come up against a solid defence (i.e: chelsea/city or a lesser team at their home fortress), we very much struggle.

you underestimate your team.
i do think you could've done better than costa
i would've tried to get benzema, even at the cost of trading a decent midfielder of yours.
however i seriously think you will win the league.

pellegrini is good, but city's biggest problem is not having a world class manager like mourinho or SAF that can get the best out of a team.
if they had that, they would win the title literally every year.

United conceded an average of 43 goals the past 2 seasons, if that isn't defensively fragile, I don't know what is.

There were many games they were 2-0 down or always had to come back to win. The newcastle game e.g. they were always a goal down until it got to 3-2 newcastle, then United scored 2 goals.

Think about that for a second. United are not good defensively. Probably due to the poor midfield in front of them.
Original post by jam278
Liverpool imo I think will get between 85-90 points this season. I still think they have the best setup in terms of the league, similar to United's setup under Fergie. They've added some midfielders and have depth in the striker position now. I would say that anything under 85 points for City is a failure and Chelsea. But I think City can get somewhere close to the record if they click, Liverpool could potentially get 90 points too.
Can't see it with Liverpool, I'm pretty sure they will score less goals next season. Having 2 strikers both having the season of their careers at the same time is unusual. I don't think they will score as much, either because of injury or lack of form at some point which means they need to tighten up for a start but it changes everything. Teams are affected when they know they are facing a freight train, the scoring is a defence mechanism. Much like United, so long as they keep scoring you can cover up some faults, when you stop scoring its a double whammy, you lose the goal and the faults get exposed.

Our fixture list isn't the greatest as well, think we have away games vs the top 4 after CL matches or something like that... if we can get through that bit of the season, then the title is a possibility.
Yeah, but with the squad you have it shouldn't be an issue. Certain players are capable of back to back games, and those that aren't or are talismans can be rested brought off early. I'm simply not even entertaining it. Chelsea are on for the title with City, its close so you could lose out but scrapping around at 3 will be failure. With your coefficient if not like you're going to be playing Real in the group stage anyway. If you can't balance those games, you've mucked up.

I think that having Gerrard as the DM with little protection is what is causing them to concede so much. Henderson burst forward a lot which gives him a lot of work to do defensively, this is obviously where Can comes in. He'll play alongside Henderson and will probably be more defensive. Henderson to me seems like he can have a Ramsey style season next year, he gets into good positions and has scored a few good goals.
To do that though they will have to change to team. Can need to take to the PL which is no guarantee, then you need to drop Gerrard who scored 13 goals last season. Without Gerrard who is the metronome? Can, in his first season at a new club in new league?

I don't think Sturridge has too much difficulty replicating, he's been in an RVP style streak for 18 months and will get a proper pre-season again and a good rest since England were knocked out early. As long as he is not injured, he will get 20 league goals. I don't think they'll change their attacking style too.
He's already been off the boil. You just have to look at where he's scored. Between the start of the season and march, only 6 games he played in he didn't score at least once, and had 7 assists. Then he scored 1 in the next 6 and no assits, then you are on to the performances for England. At present he's not scoring like he was statically, he's going to need to find some form to repeat last season.

I would think Suarez will stay in form, but 4 months out of the top flight matches is not ideal for a player in form, so that could change things. Plus he misses the City game, that's a 6 pointer. That's of course assuming he's still there, Sanchez or not if that isn't the case its massive.

Basically I'm not convinced they have actually moved forward, and if you don't move forward you go backwards. City haven't really kicked on but considering they spend the beginning of the season ****ing about and didn't get over 30 app out of Kompany, Silva or Aguero, the might not need to make signings to improve.
Original post by jam278
United conceded an average of 43 goals the past 2 seasons, if that isn't defensively fragile, I don't know what is.

There were many games they were 2-0 down or always had to come back to win. The newcastle game e.g. they were always a goal down until it got to 3-2 newcastle, then United scored 2 goals.

Think about that for a second. United are not good defensively. Probably due to the poor midfield in front of them.

Liverpool of last season reminded me a little bit of the United side that had Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney with RVN on his way out (08 I think) although that side could defencd better than Liverpool currently.

In your opinion who's further away:

Arsenal now from the 2004 team
United now from the 2008 team

Both are a long way from their greatest in the PL era, whereas Chelsea are probably not far off the 05 squad in terms of ability now.

Also, don't see anyone (especially liverpool) getting over 86 points next season.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
Liverpool of last season reminded me a little bit of the United side that had Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney with RVN on his way out (08 I think) although that side could defencd better than Liverpool currently.

Both are a long way from their greatest in the PL era, whereas Chelsea are probably not far off the 05 squad in terms of ability now.

Also, don't see anyone (especially liverpool) getting over 86 points next season.

United are further away.

They're lacking that spark on the wings, their central midfield is poor and the defence isn't as good as it used to be, If they could get 2 CBs then it would probably be Arsenal further away.

Arsenal seem to need a top quality RB, a ball winning CM or DLP better than Arteta, a top quality LW and a striker. But in many positions you equal your 04 team or there is not too much difference in quality.

Chelsea are far away from the 05 team. Costa will probably suffer the same problems as Drogba when he first came. Robben and Duff or Hazard and Willian, right now we're probably better, we need another CM and the defence is nowhere near as good as the 04-05 team. It's quite far away from the 05 team imo. Although it's clear that we're trying to build that same side again.
Original post by Pete_91

Got to be United, we had one of the best GK, LB and CB's pairing in the world. Midfield wasn't amazing but it was when paired with the attack which was miles better than what we have today. DDG or Rafael are about the only positions where we are comparable.

RVN was long gone by 08.
Original post by jam278

i was talking more about the united defence a year or two before then when vidic and ferdinand were at their prime.

one thing i always said when united were winning game after game is that their players aren't that good but their team is amazing.
that kind of thing can only be done by a manager.
rodgers did that for us last season, which is why with players like allen and aspas, we managed to come 2nd in the premier league.

Latest