The Student Room Group

Security Council - Non Permanent Members Elections - Manifestos

Dear all,

As per Chapter 5 of the MUN Charter & Guidance Document, the non-permanent members of the Security Council must be elected every three months.

22) The Security Council will also have two positions for non-permanent members. States are elected to these positions are elected every 3 months. Any General Assembly member state may stand in these elections.

3) The Secretary General shall manage all Security Council elections using the schedule outlined in the Guidance Document.

This election is overdue and should have took place in April 2014. Many apologies for this.

Any General Assembly member of the MUN is permitted to stand in these elections. If anyone wishes to do so, they should write a manifesto of no more than 300 words and send it via PM to me by Wednesday 2nd July 2014 10:00am.

ElectionSaturday 28th June 2014 - The Secretary General will announce the positions up for election in the Security Council and, acting as returning officer, will announce the election and ask for manifestos (no more than 300 words) to be submitted to them.

Wednesday 2nd July 2014 The Secretary General will post any manifestos and open a 2 day Q&A period.

Friday 4th July 2014 The Secretary General will open voting. Q&A may continue during this time.

Tuesday 8th July 2014 The Secretary General will announce the winner. If there is a tie between the top two candidates, a run off vote of three days shall occur.

Any questions, feel free to post here or drop me a PM.

RoryS
Secretary General
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RoryS
Dear all,

As per Chapter 5 of the MUN Charter & Guidance Document, the non-permanent members of the Security Council must be elected every three months.

22) The Security Council will also have two positions for non-permanent members. States are elected to these positions are elected every 3 months. Any General Assembly member state may stand in these elections.

3) The Secretary General shall manage all Security Council elections using the schedule outlined in the Guidance Document.

This election is overdue and should have took place in April 2014. Many apologies for this.

Any General Assembly member of the MUN is permitted to stand in these elections. If anyone wishes to do so, they should write a manifesto of no more than 300 words and send it via PM to me by Wednesday 2nd July 2014 10:00am.

ElectionSaturday 28th June 2014 - The Secretary General will announce the positions up for election in the Security Council and, acting as returning officer, will announce the election and ask for manifestos (no more than 300 words) to be submitted to them.

Wednesday 2nd July 2014 The Secretary General will post any manifestos and open a 2 day Q&A period.

Friday 4th July 2014 The Secretary General will open voting. Q&A may continue during this time.

Tuesday 8th July 2014 The Secretary General will announce the winner. If there is a tie between the top two candidates, a run off vote of three days shall occur.

Any questions, feel free to post here or drop me a PM.

RoryS
Secretary General

This is very confusing for me, can you dumb down the words so I can understand what this role entails?
Reply 2
Original post by Melon girl
This is very confusing for me, can you dumb down the words so I can understand what this role entails?

Hi Melon girl
No problem - if you win the election, the country you represent becomes a member of the Security Council. This is great as it means there's a new member and new country represented in the most important and powerful group of countries in the SC (powerful states like the UK, China etc). You'll be sitting alongside those countries, taking part in their discussions in the private sub-forum as well as voting on SC specific resolutions. You also have increased influence in deciding what happens and precautions taken in conflicts and international disputes attempting to resolve them.

The election will hopefully take place tomorrow - to be a part of it you need to a submit a manifesto of no more than 300 words which could explain why you think the country you represent would be beneficial to the Security Council plus what you yourself could bring. The election will then take its usual course as highlighted in the schedule.

hopefully that's a bit clearer - if you'd like me to clarify anything let me know. :smile:
Original post by RoryS
Hi Melon girl
No problem - if you win the election, the country you represent becomes a member of the Security Council. This is great as it means there's a new member and new country represented in the most important and powerful group of countries in the SC (powerful states like the UK, China etc). You'll be sitting alongside those countries, taking part in their discussions in the private sub-forum as well as voting on SC specific resolutions. You also have increased influence in deciding what happens and precautions taken in conflicts and international disputes attempting to resolve them.

The election will hopefully take place tomorrow - to be a part of it you need to a submit a manifesto of no more than 300 words which could explain why you think the country you represent would be beneficial to the Security Council plus what you yourself could bring. The election will then take its usual course as highlighted in the schedule.

hopefully that's a bit clearer - if you'd like me to clarify anything let me know. :smile:

I currently hold a United Nations Observers (UNO Positions) in the Red Cross, am I eligible to apply?
Reply 4
Original post by Melon girl
I currently hold a United Nations Observers (UNO Positions) in the Red Cross, am I eligible to apply?

Ermm unfortunately not. I should have probably checked that before replying before! :tongue: You can still submit a manifesto but clearly state that you intend on changing to X position if elected (so write the manifesto as if you're going to represent a different country).
Original post by RoryS
Ermm unfortunately not. I should have probably checked that before replying before! :tongue: You can still submit a manifesto but clearly state that you intend on changing to X position if elected (so write the manifesto as if you're going to represent a different country).

Ahaha, I understand why I was confused from the start. It's fine, I like my position :cool:
Reply 6
Received one manifesto - need at least one more before these positions can be filled or the election can take place if there's more than two going for it.

Extending the deadline to this evening with reluctance!

toronto353
QFA

Will95206
QFA

Henry_Tudor
QFA

Mechie
QFA

Lord Jon
QFA

Are any of you interested in this?
Original post by RoryS
Received one manifesto - need at least one more before these positions can be filled or the election can take place if there's more than two going for it.

Extending the deadline to this evening with reluctance!

Are any of you interested in this?

I am, but won't be able to get a manifesto in until early tomorrow morning. Would that be ok?
Reply 8
Original post by toronto353
I am, but won't be able to get a manifesto in until early tomorrow morning. Would that be ok?

No worries. I probably won't get round to setting up the election until this afternoon :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoryS
No worries. I probably won't get round to setting up the election until this afternoon :wink:

Is it ok for me to send it around 6pm tonight? I'had a load of stuff which I needed to sort last night so didn't get round to writing it.
Reply 10
Original post by toronto353
Is it ok for me to send it around 6pm tonight? I'had a load of stuff which I needed to sort last night so didn't get round to writing it.

No problem, out tonight so the election or appointment of the you and another who submitted a manifesto will take place tomorrow am.

Thanks! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending