The Student Room Group

Work Experience - URGENT

Hello,

I basically need suggestions of how to gain more work experience in the gap year that I apply to medicine.

I currently only have one form of work experience in which I shadowed a rheumatologist in her clinic. I also have worked in a caring environment in an orphanage as part of my DoE.

The problem with the country in which I live in is that it is very difficult to find work experience in clinical settings. You have to use personal connections to shadow doctors (as I did) and the problem is my only personal connection was the rheumatologist, who I shadowed for quite some time.

I was interested in gapmedics before I heard that universities view it as some kind of holiday that you pay for. I can't volunteer in the UK as it is not my country of residence, but I would love to volunteer there to understand the clinical setting.

It's very difficult to gain work experience as an international student, and I was hoping someone could help me out as to what to do.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Inglisred
Hello,

I basically need suggestions of how to gain more work experience in the gap year that I apply to medicine.

I currently only have one form of work experience in which I shadowed a rheumatologist in her clinic. I also have worked in a caring environment in an orphanage as part of my DoE.

The problem with the country in which I live in is that it is very difficult to find work experience in clinical settings. You have to use personal connections to shadow doctors (as I did) and the problem is my only personal connection was the rheumatologist, who I shadowed for quite some time.

I was interested in gapmedics before I heard that universities view it as some kind of holiday that you pay for. I can't volunteer in the UK as it is not my country of residence, but I would love to volunteer there to understand the clinical setting.

It's very difficult to gain work experience as an international student, and I was hoping someone could help me out as to what to do.

Thanks

Why don't you try get a job as a carer or health care assistant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by em.d_4
Why don't you try get a job as a carer or health care assistant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

That's not allowed in the country I live in. I've looked at listings and most employers require a degree or license along with a minimum of three years experience in a clinical environment.
Reply 3
Original post by Inglisred
Hi,

That's not allowed in the country I live in. I've looked at listings and most employers require a degree or license along with a minimum of three years experience in a clinical environment.

How about a care home for elderly people or.volunteering on a hospital ward?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending