The Student Room Group

Psychology or Sociology..which one is better for ME?

I don't have much time left to decide on my A-Levels. I am sure that I am going to do Chemistry, Biology and Maths..and I was sure I was doing Psychology. However, my school hosted an open day where we got lesson 'tasters'. I really enjoyed the Psychology lesson, I'm very interested in it although most likely not as a career path and the Science and maths stuff is right up my alley.. However, I spoke to the teacher since she also teaches Sociology and she said that I will most likely enjoy Psychology more if I'm into science but if i choose this..ALL my subjects would be science-based. I have been told that if I want to have a range of qualifications, I should consider Sociology to show off my writing skills (I am very good at English but I find it sooo dull). I wasn't even considering sociology but now I'm in a huge dilemma...PLEASE HELP :biggrin:
Reply 1
If you want to do Psychology then do it. Sociology will barely make you that much more diverse than Psychology, to be honest. Having a good science combination over those four is more useful than something that you weren't bothered about doing and is less relevant.
Original post by Gabby2805
I don't have much time left to decide on my A-Levels. I am sure that I am going to do Chemistry, Biology and Maths..and I was sure I was doing Psychology. However, my school hosted an open day where we got lesson 'tasters'. I really enjoyed the Psychology lesson, I'm very interested in it although most likely not as a career path and the Science and maths stuff is right up my alley.. However, I spoke to the teacher since she also teaches Sociology and she said that I will most likely enjoy Psychology more if I'm into science but if i choose this..ALL my subjects would be science-based. I have been told that if I want to have a range of qualifications, I should consider Sociology to show off my writing skills (I am very good at English but I find it sooo dull). I wasn't even considering sociology but now I'm in a huge dilemma...PLEASE HELP :biggrin:

I am not completely sure about this, but I think psychology is more highly regarded than sociology...but I've heard that sociology is easier. Take a look at the specifications for each subject for your exam board, because you should look into what you are going to learn about and what kind of exams/ coursework you may have to do before you decide. Even if you pick one, you could still swap it for the other towards the beginning of the course.
But as you have been looking into psychology for a longer period of time, I'd recommend psychology for now, unless you've looked at the sociology spec and prefer it. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Laurasaur
I am not completely sure about this, but I think psychology is more highly regarded than sociology...but I've heard that sociology is easier. Take a look at the specifications for each subject for your exam board, because you should look into what you are going to learn about and what kind of exams/ coursework you may have to do before you decide. Even if you pick one, you could still swap it for the other towards the beginning of the course.
But as you have been looking into psychology for a longer period of time, I'd recommend psychology for now, unless you've looked at the sociology spec and prefer it. :smile:

Thanks for the advice, the only insight to Sociology I have had is reading my school's course description and it sounded very disappointing compared to Psychology. I have also heard that Sociology is not very highly regarded (not to offend anyone). And, although Psychology is supposed to be harder, I think I may find it easier because thats just the way my mind works..I'd rather analyze data, do maths, and memorize theories rather than writing 50 mark essays like I have heard you have in Sociology. I am just scared that a university would think that my skills are not very broad since all my subjects will be science based if I take Psychology.
If anything demonstrates a broad set of skills, I'd say that your GCSEs might. Infact, depending on the university, I think they might appreciate someone who is focused towards what they want to study. If you wanted to study something science-based at university, studying science-based a levels suggests commitment and enjoyment. Who would they prefer...someone who studied english, art, chemistry and German...or someone who studied maths, biology, chemistry and psychology? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Laurasaur
If anything demonstrates a broad set of skills, I'd say that your GCSEs might. Infact, depending on the university, I think they might appreciate someone who is focused towards what they want to study. If you wanted to study something science-based at university, studying science-based a levels suggests commitment and enjoyment. Who would they prefer...someone who studied english, art, chemistry and German...or someone who studied maths, biology, chemistry and psychology? :smile:

Thanks a lot! That makes a lot of sense :biggrin:
I think you should go for psych and the subject does involve a lot of essay writing I heard so you can still show off your writing skills with that subject :smile:
Reply 7
I don't think most universities really care how 'diverse' your subjects are, especially for a science course (since a lot of universities say stuff like "We want an A level in X science, and one in maths, blah blah" so they usually seem to regard multiple sciences as good (it shows your passions clearly lie within the science subjects).

And not to upset psychology people but is it really considered a science by universities? o.O It's essay based and mostly about case studies from what I hear, my school doesn't list it with the other science subjects, so it's not really /that/ sciencey in the first place.
Reply 8
Original post by Okkefac
I don't think most universities really care how 'diverse' your subjects are, especially for a science course (since a lot of universities say stuff like "We want an A level in X science, and one in maths, blah blah" so they usually seem to regard multiple sciences as good (it shows your passions clearly lie within the science subjects).

And not to upset psychology people but is it really considered a science by universities? o.O It's essay based and mostly about case studies from what I hear, my school doesn't list it with the other science subjects, so it's not really /that/ sciencey in the first place.

Yeah, basically the more science the better if you want to do science at university because everything links together fundamentally.

Psychology occasionally gets classified into sciences if you're applying for psychology (there's a surprise) and i've seen it occasionally for science-based courses that aren't pure science or possibly lean towards that sector more. Other than that, nope.
Original post by Okkefac

It's a BSc here at Bristol, because the experimental department is internationally recognised but it's not particularly uncommon for it to be a BSc across the sector more widely. The A-level is a bit meh, but then all A-levels are really, aren't they? Lol.

OP, what kind of degrees are you interested in studying and where do you envisage studying it? You don't necessarily have to have any hard and fast plans at this stage, take your time, but do you see yourself applying for Tier-1 Universities? Oxbridge and the wider RG or the Post-'92?

This will give you a better idea of what you should be studying, the areas within those topics that you should read more widely and the grades you will be expected to achieve. From your initial postings you seem to be leaning towards Psych anyway, so I'd take the opportunity to study it while you can because when you do get to Uni, although there are opportunities to diversify somewhat in first year at many institutions, you'll be focused exclusively on your program and it's content. There are so many thing's I wish I'd studied when I had the opportunity now that I'm at University. Take it now! You could always get into Neuroscience! Good luck ;-)
I do both psychology and sociology and I much prefer psychology. Even though it's science based, it's still a social science which involves essay writing, some interpretation etc. I do find psychology the more easier subject however as sociology has a LOT packed into it and it's much more subjective than psychology. I'd say go for psychology but if you're willing to delve into something new and you feel confident with your choice then why not give sociology a go!
I do both psychology and sociology and I much prefer psychology. Even though it's science based, it's still a social science which involves essay writing, some interpretation etc. I do find psychology the more easier subject however as sociology has a LOT packed into it and it's much more subjective than psychology. I'd say go for psychology but if you're willing to delve into something new and you feel confident with your choice then why not give sociology a go! Depending on the exam board (if it's AQA) the essays are much more difficult in sociology as at AS you're required to do 18/22 mark questions if I remember correctly and then at A2 it's 21 mark essays. In psychology your max. marks for an essay (edexcel) is 12 and at A2 it's 18 (not sure if more for A2 psych/scly as I've only just started A2 work)
Reply 12
Original post by bubblegumcat
I think you should go for psych and the subject does involve a lot of essay writing I heard so you can still show off your writing skills with that subject :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 13
Original post by Productoflabour
It's a BSc here at Bristol, because the experimental department is internationally recognised but it's not particularly uncommon for it to be a BSc across the sector more widely. The A-level is a bit meh, but then all A-levels are really, aren't they? Lol.

OP, what kind of degrees are you interested in studying and where do you envisage studying it? You don't necessarily have to have any hard and fast plans at this stage, take your time, but do you see yourself applying for Tier-1 Universities? Oxbridge and the wider RG or the Post-'92?

This will give you a better idea of what you should be studying, the areas within those topics that you should read more widely and the grades you will be expected to achieve. From your initial postings you seem to be leaning towards Psych anyway, so I'd take the opportunity to study it while you can because when you do get to Uni, although there are opportunities to diversify somewhat in first year at many institutions, you'll be focused exclusively on your program and it's content. There are so many thing's I wish I'd studied when I had the opportunity now that I'm at University. Take it now! You could always get into Neuroscience! Good luck ;-)

Thanks so much!
Psychology but I think sociology sounds more interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest