The Student Room Group

Is the popularity of football in england increasing or decreasing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mechie
What a strange thing to say. Why are you constraining this to the bigger clubs? Why would only fans of the bigger clubs put their club over country?

I'm not constraining it at all, merely saying that the view is more vocal from those supporters as it's them who 'lose' their players to international duty.
Original post by Drewski
I'm not constraining it at all, merely saying that the view is more vocal from those supporters as it's them who 'lose' their players to international duty.

They don't though - the top two divisions don't play on international weekends, the lower divisions do though, and lose their players to international duty (admittedly for lesser nations/U21 sides).
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
They don't though - the top two divisions don't play on international weekends, the lower divisions do though, and lose their players to international duty (admittedly for lesser nations/U21 sides).

By 'lose' I'm referring to things like injuries and African Cup of Nations.

Doesn't happen that often... but doesn't stop them moaning. And I'm not saying others don't moan, its just those 'bigger' clubs moan more/moan louder/are listened to more.
Reply 23
Original post by EvilToilet
was it worse than a 15 yard sprint and a deliberate, cynical jump/knee into the back (breaking the bone) of the world cups hosts star player?

it has effectively ended our challenge for the world cup.

also note how THAT challenge didn't even get a booking, while thiago silva got one for merely nudging the goalkeeper as he was about to take the kick.

2 of our best players out for the semi final, i have to congratulate both the referee and the colombian national team, for successfully sabotaging our world cup challenge.

i mean really well done, not just spoiled it for us, but for the watching world. the world cup, as a spectacle, has now finished. the entertainers, the great brazil, the neutrals favourite are defeated.

yes its worse he broke his ankle, that's at least 6 months out, neymar is only out for 4 wks max

the challenge didn't look deliberate at all, stop overreacting
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You've also got to look at the possible average attendance each season though - for instance, the 13/14 season: the 24 grounds in the division had a combined total of 42,081 seats less than the season before due to the changes in teams.

Just taking the last 2 seasons:

Average ground capacity:

2012/2013: 27,479
2013/2014: 25,725

Average attendance as a percentage of ground capacity:
2012/2013: 62.99%
2013/2014: 64.35%

It's all well and good saying the raw number of people going is falling, but if there's fewer tickets available, that's bound to be the case - but removing that effect by going to percentage of capacity attendance, the attendances rose last season.

That logic is flawed. Changes in stadium capacity would only impact attendances if stadiums were consistently full. In 2013/14 only four teams had over 80% attendance. Therefore stadium size clearly isn't a limiting factor.
Original post by one2three_abc
That logic is flawed. Changes in stadium capacity would only impact attendances if stadiums were consistently full. In 2013/14 only four teams had over 80% attendance. Therefore stadium size clearly isn't a limiting factor.

But, clubs on average filled more of their stadium than the previous season - so attendances are actually going up, just not in raw terms. Looking at simple numbers doesn't work when there's less capacity. If Yeovil sell 8,000 tickets and Liverpool sell 38,000 tickets, who has the better attendance? Liverpool because they've got more fans in raw numbers, or Yeovil because they've filled more of their ground?
Original post by Rock Fan
I say it is decreasing, and it is being overrun with more cooperate people going to games but have no interest in the actual game of football.

Would say this is more to do with legitimate fans being priced out of games than a loss of interest. Even in the Championship nowadays, a lot of clubs will charge £30-40 for a ticket. Given how so many people are unemployed, under employed, earning a pittance or struggling to cope with the cost of living, paying £39 for Ipswich vs Middlesborough isn't going to be high on the priorities list.
Reply 27
The gap between the quality in the PL and the other leagues is ever-widening. If you can't get to see a PL game, very few people are interested.
Original post by Mackay
The gap between the quality in the PL and the other leagues is ever-widening. If you can't get to see a PL game, very few people are interested.

Is it though? If anything I'd say the gap is far smaller than it was five years ago. You rarely see promoted teams go straight back down anymore as there's so much dross in the bottom half of the league. Teams battling relegation are more likely to take points off Chelsea, United, Arsenal et al because those teams have also declined since 2009. There's a Championship team where I live and I go to the odd game, the quality isn't that bad tbf. Doubt there's any difference between Villa v Wba or Hull v Stoke compared to Forest v Reading or Brighton v Derby.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by sr90
Doubt there's any difference between Villa v Wba or Hull v Stoke compared to Forest v Reading or Brighton v Derby.

I beg to differ.

I go to around 7/8 Bolton games a year because of my family being fans and the standard is really below-par. Of course, it might be different in the upper echelon in the Championship but the games I attended last season (Bolton, Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Millwall, Charlton) were all massively worse than the standard I saw when I attended Bolton vs. Stoke when they were in the PL.
Original post by sr90
Is it though? If anything I'd say the gap is far smaller than it was five years ago. You rarely see promoted teams go straight back down anymore as there's so much dross in the bottom half of the league. Teams battling relegation are more likely to take points off Chelsea, United, Arsenal et al because those teams have also declined since 2009. There's a Championship team where I live and I go to the odd game, the quality isn't that bad tbf. Doubt there's any difference between Villa v Wba or Hull v Stoke compared to Forest v Reading or Brighton v Derby.

Very much agree with this. The gap between the top 5/6 in the Premier League and everyone else is widening, not the gap between the two divisions. Teams regularly come down and don't get promoted straight away, and its easier to stay in the top flight now.

Have a Watford season ticket, and - although last year was questionable at times - the football is of much better quality than that which you see in the majority of lower table Premier League games.
Original post by Mackay
I beg to differ.

I go to around 7/8 Bolton games a year because of my family being fans and the standard is really below-par. Of course, it might be different in the upper echelon in the Championship but the games I attended last season (Bolton, Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Millwall, Charlton) were all massively worse than the standard I saw when I attended Bolton vs. Stoke when they were in the PL.

I won't name the club involved for the sake of anonymity, but they were top half of the Championship. Some of the games were thrilling to watch - some cracking goals, great performances and controversial incidents which would have received far more interest if they happened in the Premier League.

Quick Reply

Latest