The Student Room Group

Is graduate medicine going to disappear in the next few years?

I want to apply to gem but I'm worried i'm going to invest lots of time and effort getting work experience and takin tests and then the gem get abolished all together because i've read it in a few places.

I'm an arts graduate so places i can apply are limited. I'm applying this year but i'm probably not going to get in - I dont think I can take the gamsat as I haven't started preparing so I can only take the UKCAT and I'll only have a few months experience by the time I apply. But I was planning on revising for the gamsat and sitting it next year. By next application cycle I'd have over a years experience working in a healthcare setting so I think I could put in a fairly competitive application. But I'm worried gem courses will have disappeared by then or there won't be any funding. How likely is this?
Reply 1
From what I've heard, it won't disappear, it will just be extended to five years instead of four to keep within EU law. It all stems from the GMC wanting to grant full registration to doctors straight out of medical school as opposed to the end of F1. From what I've read, it's going to take a very long time to implement for the GMC.
Original post by navarre
From what I've heard, it won't disappear, it will just be extended to five years instead of four to keep within EU law. It all stems from the GMC wanting to grant full registration to doctors straight out of medical school as opposed to the end of F1. From what I've read, it's going to take a very long time to implement for the GMC.

How long, is how long? if you don't mind me asking.
Reply 3
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
How long, is how long? if you don't mind me asking.

It won't be during the 2015 cycle and perhaps not in the 2016. I would anticipate it from 2017 onwards, seems most all medical schools are reviewing their courses in the next couple of years.
Though no one really knows and at best this is a gut feeling.
(edited 9 years ago)
Interesting, I had no idea they wanted to phase out 4 year courses.

As long as the funding structure stays as it is (fingers crossed) with GEM courses an extra year to replace F1 shouldn't be so evil.
Original post by Zorg
It won't be during the 2015 cycle and perhaps not in the 2016. I would anticipate it from 2017 onwards, seems most all medical schools are review their courses in the next couple of years.
Though no one really knows and at best this is a gut feeling.

Well that's annoying. I'm assuming the funding will remain the same though?
Reply 6
Well that's annoying. I'm assuming the funding will remain the same though?

Graduate entry medicine funding for 2015 is the only year agreed upon thus far.
Original post by Zorg
Graduate entry medicine funding for 2015 is the only year agreed upon thus far.

I didn't know there had been a change?
Reply 8
I didn't know there had been a change?

Graduate entry medicine funding or the undergrad route for graduates? Or indeed funding for medicine as a first degree?
For GEM funding has been an issue since the fee increase. With funding initially only secured until 2014 entry, this has been extended but only for those entering 2015.
2016 is anyone's guess.
Original post by Zorg
Graduate entry medicine funding or the undergrad route for graduates? Or indeed funding for medicine as a first degree?
For GEM funding has been an issue since the fee increase. With funding initially only secured until 2014 entry, this has been extended but only for those entering 2015.
2016 is anyone's guess.

So regardless of doing undergrad medicine or grad, it's expected, or assumed, one would have to pay the full amount themselves? I'm currently doing another degree and was hoping to do graduate medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending