The Student Room Group

Is this enough to get accepted into an American uni?

I'm looking to study in the US, in particular somewhere in California. I was thinking about the Long Beach (CSULB) uni, maybe. I'm aware that universities in the US are very interested in your extracurriculars, and even if your grades are perfect, you won't impress them much if you don't have any extracurriculars.

I was wondering whether I do enough things. I do MMA and am very dedicated to the gym. I also have a Jack Petchey award and LIFE course certificates (course for teenagers run by the London Fire Brigade).

My grades are all A or A*s, and my SAT stands at 1770 (did a test online, I just started revising for it. I should be able to get about 2000+).

Should I be doing more? I'm starting college in the UK this September so there's still time I guess.
Yeah, American unis love extracurriculars. They aren't so fussed about one-off activities (like one week of work experience, for example), instead, they want to see continuous dedication to a specific activity over a period of time. So, if you've been doing MMA for a number of years and have competed for your county/region or even nationally, that looks great.

Obviously though, they are ultimately admitting you for your academic potential. So all A/A* grades are great, and if you can get A/A* grades at A-Level that would be excellent. 2000+ is a good SAT score.
Original post by perflous
Yeah, American unis love extracurriculars. They aren't so fussed about one-off activities (like one week of work experience, for example), instead, they want to see continuous dedication to a specific activity over a period of time. So, if you've been doing MMA for a number of years and have competed for your county/region or even nationally, that looks great.

Obviously though, they are ultimately admitting you for your academic potential. So all A/A* grades are great, and if you can get A/A* grades at A-Level that would be excellent. 2000+ is a good SAT score.

Depends on the Uni.

CSULB is an averagely ranked university, they wouldn't really care if you had suboptimal grades. If OP were talking about places like: Duke, Stanford, Berkley or UCLA then your comment would be relevant.
Original post by кяя
I'm looking to study in the US, in particular somewhere in California. I was thinking about the Long Beach (CSULB) uni, maybe. I'm aware that universities in the US are very interested in your extracurriculars, and even if your grades are perfect, you won't impress them much if you don't have any extracurriculars.

I was wondering whether I do enough things. I do MMA and am very dedicated to the gym. I also have a Jack Petchey award and LIFE course certificates (course for teenagers run by the London Fire Brigade).

My grades are all A or A*s, and my SAT stands at 1770 (did a test online, I just started revising for it. I should be able to get about 2000+).

Should I be doing more? I'm starting college in the UK this September so there's still time I guess.

Aim higher! CSU Long Beach seems like a bit of a downgrade if you have As and A*s. Look at the top 30-40 universities and top 20 Liberal Arts Colleges on USNews.
Reply 4
Thanks for your help so far guys!

Original post by Princepieman
Aim higher! CSU Long Beach seems like a bit of a downgrade if you have As and A*s. Look at the top 30-40 universities and top 20 Liberal Arts Colleges on USNews.

The reason why I want to go to CSULB is because of the location and the gym, mainly. Long Beach seems like a great location and the campus is beautiful. I love going to the gym so the huge rec center is like heaven to me. I like modern campuses more than old campuses like Duke's or Stanford's.
Original post by кяя
Thanks for your help so far guys!

The reason why I want to go to CSULB is because of the location and the gym, mainly. Long Beach seems like a great location and the campus is beautiful. I love going to the gym so the huge rec center is like heaven to me. I like modern campuses more than old campuses like Duke's or Stanford's.

Long Beach is lovely! LA traffic is horrid, though. If you are into more beachy/relaxed atmosphere, have you considered San Diego? It's also a beautiful place just 2 hours drive south from LA.

Or maybe further north, to Monterey or San Jose (Bay area)? The Bay area is beautiful, very convenient, and not crazy crowded like the LA area (yet).
Reply 6
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Long Beach is lovely! LA traffic is horrid, though. If you are into more beachy/relaxed atmosphere, have you considered San Diego? It's also a beautiful place just 2 hours drive south from LA.

Or maybe further north, to Monterey or San Jose (Bay area)? The Bay area is beautiful, very convenient, and not crazy crowded like the LA area (yet).

I have family friends in San Diego and they say it's not very pleasant :/

I'll think about the Bay area. I am really into beach towns and hot weather :biggrin:

I read that CSU colleges are the cheapest, and Long Beach is the best out of them. I'm struggling with money and it's incredibly difficult to get a loan or financial help so that's also another reason I chose CSULB.
Original post by кяя
I have family friends in San Diego and they say it's not very pleasant :/

I'll think about the Bay area. I am really into beach towns and hot weather :biggrin:

I read that CSU colleges are the cheapest, and Long Beach is the best out of them. I'm struggling with money and it's incredibly difficult to get a loan or financial help so that's also another reason I chose CSULB.

Aah I see. I don't know too much about cost unfortunately :frown:.

My San Diego experience consists of only 2 trips totaling 2 weeks, but it seemed to be quite a vacationy/beachy place. Almost like Hawaii, but without the Hawaiian-ness :biggrin:.

There are quite a few famous beaches in the Bay area, too - Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Monterey. But the cities themselves feel more serious. Also slightly less hot (still quite hot, just not hyperthermically hot... most of the time).

Where ever you choose though, I'm sure you'll have a good time! California is an awesome place and I can't wait to go back there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending