The Student Room Group

A levels this year will 'drop'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I do hope this is not the case. However, it is true that if the majority of the cohort is unsuccessful, then they will drop the grade boundaries from the last years. They usually do this for exam by 1 or 2 marks, so not making much of a difference if you secure a good grade. It doesn't seem to effect coursework marking as it usually stays the same.

I know my A2 Philosophy exam went awful, the A2 Ethics went a whole lot better. But because Philosophy is harder, their grade boundaries are usually lower and Ethics is higher. So I don't know how things like that work where it's not at an even standpoint.

But I'm just hoping I get the grades I need to get into my firm choice uni!

Lets hope this happens!
Original post by AlexKay99
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10946400/GCSE-and-A-level-overhaul-will-lead-to-drop-in-grades.html

Apparently this has been the hardest year for exams and people will see a drop in grades.
Thoughts?

do u think they might bring back jan exams
Reply 22
Original post by coolgamer
do u think they might bring back jan exams

Now that Gove's gone, who knows what might happen? But I think Gove initiated the process and it is underway so its hard to turn back now. :frown:
Original post by ExMus
This is so worrying.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10946400/GCSE-and-A-level-overhaul-will-lead-to-drop-in-grades.html

Apparently this has been the hardest year for exams and people will see a drop in grades.
Thoughts?

What's worrying? That you actually have to be apply your knowledge instead of rote learning entire specifications?

I think it's a good thing that people who study 24/7 will find it harder to maintain top grades through-out all their subjects in favour of reserving the top grades to students who actually deserve it.

I sat my A-levels nearly 4 years ago and I have to say that since then exams have been a complete joke.
Reply 24
Original post by Marky Mark
What's worrying? That you actually have to be apply your knowledge instead of rote learning entire specifications?

I think it's a good thing that people who study 24/7 will find it harder to maintain top grades through-out all their subjects in favour of reserving the top grades to students who actually deserve it.

I sat my A-levels nearly 4 years ago and I have to say that since then exams have been a complete joke.

I get what you mean, I hate rote-learning, its turning people into parrots really but these abrupt changes right in the middle of peoples exams is hardly a good thing, there is this feeling of uncertainty surrounding everything and it is worrying.
As if I wasn't worried enough about meeting my offer! :eek: A few exams were quite a bit tougher this year though, pray for low grade boundaries!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Had a couple of tough exams this year, so this actually doesn't come as much of a surprise.

Best of luck to you, fellow worriers! :biggrin:
Reply 27
What if they mean 'drop' by making both exams harder and not lowering the grade boundaries? :frown:
BY FAR, A LEVEL PHYSICS UNIT 1 by OCR/EDEXCEL
was the HARDEST EXAM in A LEVEL !!!

^ Besides Further Maths A2 [FP2 & Mechanics modules]
Reply 29
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Glad I didn't do physics then! I deeply sympathise :smile:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

You should have seen physics unit 4! Jesus Christ it was the hardest exam I've done in my life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I did W.B Yeats and I did both AS and A2 this year so its pretty much over for me. :smile:

Lol I did Yeats too, I was really annoyed that 1 poem my teacher taught (while I was absent) came up in the exam! Wow how did you manage to do 2 years of work so quickly? I'm sure you worked really hard :smile:

Simply moving all examination to the end of the course does not mean the course will require less rote-learning. If anything, it will require more, as students will have to memorise the entire syllabus in preparation for a single exam.

Which students, in your opinion, do deserve the top grades?

A-levels have been "a complete joke" for more than 4 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
I definitely felt my exams were harder this year, but I put that down to the jump from AS to A2 to be honest. Especially physics, which has led to me feeling like I missed the essential A I need for my firm. I don't know about AS exams being harder than last year, though I resat a chemistry exam from last year that I feel went much better, but had I been AS, I'd have found it difficult.

It wouldn't surprise me if overall grades were down a bit this year with the January exam cut, but I don't think it's gonna be a dramatic drop at all. I resat two of my three Jan exams last summer so I essentially did almost all of mine in the summer last year anyway. I know people who have sat 10-15 exams this summer and it's a lot to revise, I can imagine that juggling all of those wasn't easy at all. I don't think the lack of Jan exams this year has had as big an effect as some think though. We'll see when the results come out, anyway. Best of luck, all.
Reply 34
Original post by Ndella
Lol I did Yeats too, I was really annoyed that 1 poem my teacher taught (while I was absent) came up in the exam! Wow how did you manage to do 2 years of work so quickly? I'm sure you worked really hard :smile:

Yeah, Man and the Echo was a bitch!! I had to go an analyse it myself but I seemed to write enough, well, it could have been worse (Among School Children).
I honestly don't know how I managed to do it, it was tough! But I haven't gotten my results yet so I'm trying no to be too happy. I need minimum AAA but I want A*A*A* (of course).
Original post by StrangeBanana
Simply moving all examination to the end of the course does not mean the course will require less rote-learning. If anything, it will require more, as students will have to memorise the entire syllabus in preparation for a single exam.

Which students, in your opinion, do deserve the top grades?

A-levels have been "a complete joke" for more than 4 years.

I disagree having more exams at the same time does not encourage rote-learning as attempting to memorise the content required for 14 exams, including every single specification point, is tremendously harder due to the sheer number of exams. Only an idiot/sad person would try to memorise the entire syllabus for every subject, I say moving all exams to the end of course is a genius idea.

Top grades should be reserved for those who can apply their knowledge-base to the examination instead of parroting answers they memorised before they even sat the exam.

I agree that A-levels have been easy for a while now but I'm inclined to believe that this year's examination papers have been easier than the ones I sat. I had a look at my younger sisters past papers during the Easter break and I have to say I wasn't impressed. We shouldn't be dumbing down the future leaders of this country.
Reply 36
Yeah, Man and the Echo was a bitch!! I had to go an analyse it myself but I seemed to write enough, well, it could have been worse (Among School Children).
I honestly don't know how I managed to do it, it was tough! But I haven't gotten my results yet so I'm trying no to be too happy. I need minimum AAA but I want A*A*A* (of course).

Well we can now put that crap behind us! Which course and uni is your firm?
I disagree having more exams at the same time does not encourage rote-learning as attempting to memorise the content required for 14 exams, including every single specification point, is tremendously harder due to the sheer number of exams. Only an idiot/sad person would try to memorise the entire syllabus for every subject, I say moving all exams to the end of course is a genius idea.

Top grades should be reserved for those who can apply their knowledge-base to the examination instead of parroting answers they memorised before they even sat the exam.

I agree that A-levels have been easy for a while now but I'm inclined to believe that this year's examination papers have been easier than the ones I sat. I had a look at my younger sisters past papers during the Easter break and I have to say I wasn't impressed. We shouldn't be dumbing down the future leaders of this country.

That's irrelevant. The exams require students to memorise a bank of facts which they are to regurgitate at the end of the year. I fully support the idea of exams at the end of the course, but for there to be any point the exams themselves need to change, first. Otherwise, it only puts more pressure on students and teachers.

I agree.

That's probably true; your post seemed to claim that there had been a massive dip in standards in the 4 years since you took your A-levels, which there hasn't, really.
Reply 38
I don't think they were that hard. Infact the Chemistry paper 2 was the easiest thing I had ever seen. I took CIE.
Reply 39
Original post by Ndella
Well we can now put that crap behind us! Which course and uni is your firm?

English Literature (ironically) at Edinburgh AAA but I'm still in a bit of an undecided stage, we'll see!
What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest