The Student Room Group

AS and A level choices ):

Scroll to see replies

Biology, Chemistry, ICT and Art. I was told it was a strange combination of subjects :P
[QUOTE="Troytheboy;48594785"]I'm doing sociology and Psychology, any tips for as:-D

Original post by saibhandari
I did Chemistry, Sociology, Religious Studies and Economics this year.

Chemistry was pretty fun, but definitely the most challenging (in a good way).
Sociology was easy, fun and useful for the course that I attend to apply to at uni (either HSPS at Cambridge or Anthropology at another uni).
RS was also easy and useful.
Economics was boring and pretty easy; I wish I had taken something more challenging like Maths.

Any tips for rs at As level please?:-D

RS requires a very good memory. You will need to be able to remember all the facts for each topic you do and then apply them to the exam. My school did the AQA exams in which there are two questions per topic (Part A and B) and you pick two topics per exam.

For Part A, you needed to be able to state facts in a neat and structured way. It helps if you are good at writing essays; however, don't get off topic, the essays need to be concise and only relevant to the question.

For Part B, you need to respond to statements and share your opinion in contrast to one opposing you. The ability to criticise your own views is key here.

Do lots of practice questions and get your hands on all the exam papers you can get!

And for Sociology, just revise a lot. Read your notes and do practice papers. I found it useful to dedicate time to learning definitions of key terms. You should also be prepared to do evaluations and assessments of statements. For example: 'Assess the extent that Feminism has affected our view of the education system'. You need to be able to contrast viewpoints.

Hope I helped! :smile:
[QUOTE="saibhandari;48594978"]
Original post by Troytheboy
I'm doing sociology and Psychology, any tips for as:-D

RS requires a very good memory. You will need to be able to remember all the facts for each topic you do and then apply them to the exam. My school did the AQA exams in which there are two questions per topic (Part A and B) and you pick two topics per exam.

For Part A, you needed to be able to state facts in a neat and structured way. It helps if you are good at writing essays; however, don't get off topic, the essays need to be concise and only relevant to the question.

For Part B, you need to respond to statements and share your opinion in contrast to one opposing you. The ability to criticise your own views is key here.

Do lots of practice questions and get your hands on all the exam papers you can get!

And for Sociology, just revise a lot. Read your notes and do practice papers. I found it useful to dedicate time to learning definitions of key terms. You should also be prepared to do evaluations and assessments of statements. For example: 'Assess the extent that Feminism has affected our view of the education system'. You need to be able to contrast viewpoints.

Hope I helped! :smile:

Yes you did, thank you for your detailed answer haha; it was much appreciated. I cannot wait to start, what is the hardest topic in sociology and religion you found personally? (Gave you a rating btw you deserved it :wink: )
[QUOTE="Troytheboy;48595093"]
Original post by saibhandari

Yes you did, thank you for your detailed answer haha; it was much appreciated. I cannot wait to start, what is the hardest topic in sociology and religion you found personally? (Gave you a rating btw you deserved it :wink: )

Aw thanks :smile:

Well in terms of RS, it is unlikely that your school will do the exact same as mine, but here it goes in terms of difficulty (1 being most difficult):

RS Unit 1 (Religion, Philosophy and Science):
1) Design Argument (a lot to learn :frown: )
2) Creation
3) Miracles

RS Unit 2 (Religion and Ethics):
1) Utilitarianism (A lot less interesting than the other two)
2) The Nature and Value of Human Life
3) Abortion and Euthanasia

And with Sociology, my teacher chose to do Education and Methods as the first Unit and Family for the second.

Parts of Education could be confusing at times (many of the topics within overlapped and had similar aspects). As well as this, both Education and Family required knowledge of social policy and this required a good memory for names and dates (it was also the most boring part)!

Methods was pretty easy, but definitely one to read through every so often and refresh your brain because it is intertwined with all other topics.

Good luck :smile:
[QUOTE="saibhandari;48595243"]

Aw thanks :smile:

Well in terms of RS, it is unlikely that your school will do the exact same as mine, but here it goes in terms of difficulty (1 being most difficult):

RS Unit 1 (Religion, Philosophy and Science):
1) Design Argument (a lot to learn :frown: )
2) Creation
3) Miracles

RS Unit 2 (Religion and Ethics):
1) Utilitarianism (A lot less interesting than the other two)
2) The Nature and Value of Human Life
3) Abortion and Euthanasia

And with Sociology, my teacher chose to do Education and Methods as the first Unit and Family for the second.

Parts of Education could be confusing at times (many of the topics within overlapped and had similar aspects). As well as this, both Education and Family required knowledge of social policy and this required a good memory for names and dates (it was also the most boring part)!

Methods was pretty easy, but definitely one to read through every so often and refresh your brain because it is intertwined with all other topics.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin:

What do the design argument include?

Thank you! :biggrin:

What do the design argument include?

Well firstly we looked at different arguments for design (William Paley's Watchmaker analogy and Thomas Aquinas). We also looked at several other arguments for design, such as the anthropic principle and the presentation of the argument by Richard Swinburne.

Then we looked at arguments against from philosophers such as Hume, as well as scientific arguments against (we looked at Richard Dawkins opinion).

There was other stuff but that was the main body of it.
I chose Maths, Economics, Business Studies and Law. Will be going onto A2 in September. I'm just really worried about my AS results because I didn't revise much (which is stupid of me and I now regret it hugely)!
Original post by nataliet97
English Literature, Geography, Psychology and Sociology - great choices, don't regret them at all. But, a lot of work - BEWARE!

Doing exactly the same but English Language instead of Literature!
maths, further maths and economics. don't know about my 4th. was considering physics until i found the exam (p3 particularly) hard for some reason. now have no idea what to do... any ideas? not looking for a soft subject or a language
Original post by Mav455
What do you hope to study at uni? I think maths is really good because its something thats useful in any career. TIP=If you want to do Economics at uni, then A-Level maths is NECESSARY for quite a few unis, especially the top ranked ones. Im saying that from experience lol.
I did Econ for A Levels, I found it really interesting and it teaches you valuable skills like analysis and evaluation, and second year (A2) is basically what you did in first year with some added topics. If you have any more questions on Economics, feel free to ask :smile:

Are you doing an economics degree? If so, do you know any useful preparation/ work experience that unis like to see?
Reply 30
Original post by aerohotchoc
Are you doing an economics degree? If so, do you know any useful preparation/ work experience that unis like to see?
Wider reading, e.g. The Economist (its useful for exams at A Level too), any relevant experience (I didnt have experience related to Economics, but if you can get some it would be great), and achievements outside college, e.g. volunteering (some banks do let you do 1-2 weeks shadowing/work experience in their branches,I`d suggest looking around and asking them)
Reply 31
Just finished AS Physics, Maths, Computing and Chemistry. And in my opinion, I've done a whole lot worse than I probably should of, but I really want to keep all 4 through A2 considering I can most likely get all of my Computing coursework done over the summer so it's out the way.
Reply 32
Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History. In my eyes it can't get better.
Original post by Mav455
Wider reading, e.g. The Economist (its useful for exams at A Level too), any relevant experience (I didnt have experience related to Economics, but if you can get some it would be great), and achievements outside college, e.g. volunteering (some banks do let you do 1-2 weeks shadowing/work experience in their branches,I`d suggest looking around and asking them)

Ahhh thank you, that is very useful :smile:
Reply 34
hey guys! i was wondering if anyone out there who can relate to me can tell me if im choosing a good combination. So i wanna take psychology, sociology, and english literature. i plan on pursuing a psychology degree and eventually would like to get into social work. i will start my A-levels this year so i wanna be pre-prepared. Also i (unfortunately) have not really attended classes for any of the above subjects since my old school didnt provide them... any advice would be HIGHLY appreciated :smile:
Reply 35
Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. I'll probably drop Physics after AS.
Reply 36
I'm doing Eng Lit, History, Drama/Psychology (stuck between the two) & Politics - is this a good combination or is the work load too much?
Best combination of three:
Maths, Further Maths and Physics.

My final was Spanish, but you can choose anything for that. If you're looking for an arts degree then ignore me, but anything scientific then trust me. (Medicine, perhaps remove physics if you don't want to do 5 ALevels).
Reply 38
I chose Applied Science, ICT and Travel and Tourism.

Now independently I am studying English Literature, History and Economics (AS only).
Reply 39
I'm doing History, RS, Latin, French and German :smile:
Hope that doing 5 (particularly all the languages) won't be too impossible! :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest