The Student Room Group

Why do people still pay for music

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ttankzhang
If you go and have a look online many new artists do give away their music for free as they're picking up publicity, it gets them better coverage and a lot only actually care about having their music heard. Some have even gone on public record as saying they encourage P2P sites.

Obviously there is absolutely no issue downloading free music from artists that are offering it for free.

Downloading free music from artists who are not offering if for free, even if you have decided that you are doing them a favour, is theft. Albeit one that many have decided isn't a "real" crime.

I'm not trying to be a moralist here, I would just rather people be honest and not offer some half-baked rationalisation for their acts.
Original post by just a dad
Out of interest, what would happen to the music industry if everyone was able to consume it for free?

The amount of money they would still make off of advertising and sponsorship........... probably nothing.
But you also have to factor in that the industry spends more money if it charges a lower cost since it needs to make more CDs. As you go down from £10 more and more people will decide to stop pirating and buy CDs, whereas at £10 they get the whole market who will buy only CDs, so it just makes more sense for them to all stick at the high price

I'd still be willing to bet that it doesn't cost anywhere near £10 to actually physically produce a CD (by that I mean the disc case, etc) anyway so it's *still* sadly a rip off, so I can't blame people who download things for free. when the industry *really* hits rock bottom (which is probably inevitable seeing as there are already visible differences in sales based on what is probably the pirate factor), then they might change their ways
Its the changing landscape music and I believe most artists have accepted this.

Bands nowadays need to hope that those who don't pay for music (myself included) continue to support them by paying to see them live.

ETA: this article is pretty interesting, those sly indie bands!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5690590/spotify-removes-silent-album-that-earned-indie-band-20000
Wow, and now we're trying to justify theft from artists trying to establish themselves.

I'm sure that if the artists were happy to give their art away for free ... they would give it away for free.

Do you pay for your music then?
Obviously there is absolutely no issue downloading free music from artists that are offering it for free.

Downloading free music from artists who are not offering if for free, even if you have decided that you are doing them a favour, is theft. Albeit one that many have decided isn't a "real" crime.

I'm not trying to be a moralist here, I would just rather people be honest and not offer some half-baked rationalisation for their acts.

I don't really care about the pirating, I'm just saying why pirating could help the music industry, and you were trying to be a moralist about it.
Original post by Last Day Lepers
The amount of money they would still make off of advertising and sponsorship........... probably nothing.

"Probably" is an easy statement to make, however I would like to see some economic proof before discounting it as inherently biased.
Nowadays I get most of my music from spotify so I voted 'rarely'. However, I realised I have spotify premium which is only like £5 a month, so technically I do pay for my music. The days of buying CDs and music off iTunes are (nearly) long gone though.
Original post by Autistic Merit
Do you pay for your music then?

Of course. Given my posts I find that a very strange question.
Of course. Given my posts I find that a very strange question.

Would the money not be better off spent on paying bills or to a charity, to name two examples?
I don't really care about the pirating, I'm just saying why pirating could help the music industry, and you were trying to be a moralist about it.

Just highlighting one example of 'victimless crime' crap.

I'm surprised more artists to advocate pirating if it is a "good thing" for the music industry.
"Probably" is an easy statement to make, however I would like to see some economic proof before discounting it as inherently biased.

How am I supposed to give you economic proof. I don't study this, I haven't researched an even if I was an expert on this specific matter, until this actually happens it's all guess work.

I mean what are you expecting from a thread of personal opinions? No one here is going to be able to give you anything other than an opinion.
Would the money not be better off spent on paying bills or to a charity, to name two examples?

Non sequitur?
How am I supposed to give you economic proof. I don't study this, I haven't researched an even if I was an expert on this specific matter, until this actually happens it's all guess work.

I mean what are you expecting from a thread of personal opinions? No one here is going to be able to give you anything other than an opinion.

You were the one that stated "probably". Now, if you'd said "I really haven't got much a clue, but perhaps ..." then I would have cut you a bit of slack.
Non sequitur?

To quote OP:

"If you think about that, someone may have a 2000 song library on their phone so would have "wasted" around £2000 that could have been used for something better like paying their bills.

I would like to know who and why you pay for your music if you do so"

That £2000 would be better spent elsewhere, no?
Just highlighting one example of 'victimless crime' crap.

I'm surprised more artists to advocate pirating if it is a "good thing" for the music industry.

There's plenty of academic reports to back up this view though.

Blackburn (2004) finds 75% of artists profit directly from piracy

Pedersen (2006) looking at Danish music market also finds this relationship

Peitz and Waelbroeck (2006)

Just google scholar it
You were the one that stated "probably". Now, if you'd said "I really haven't got much a clue, but perhaps ..." then I would have cut you a bit of slack.

"I would give you some slack"
(edited 9 years ago)
I buy CDs and vinyl. I never download because then it doesn't feel like I actually "own" the thing I've paid for.
To quote OP:

"If you think about that, someone may have a 2000 song library on their phone so would have "wasted" around £2000 that could have been used for something better like paying their bills.

I would like to know who and why you pay for your music if you do so"

That £2000 would be better spent elsewhere, no?

You know full well that you were replying to our Q&A, not the OP.

In any event, still something of a non sequitur. For most people accessing media, donating to charity and paying bills are not mutually exclusive. I do all three, as do millions of others.
"I would give you some slack"

****ing kiss my arse.

Look who lost the argument.
Anyway, I don't know where it's been.

Quick Reply

Latest