The Student Room Group

Which University takes your breathe away for the pretty buildings?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
University of Glasgow..
University of Glasgow especially in the winter when it is snowing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
KCL's buildings really beautiful
The main QUB building is gorgeous. And I see a lot of the Cambridge buildings too - very pretty.

But I don't think I could study in really old buildings. Like I think they're nice to look at but I prefer more modern buildings in general. :s-smilie:
St. Andrews
Reply 25
If only Nottingham was a middle class city, and that the main campus was orientated so that you faced the Trent Building head on rather than from the side as you walked to and fro. That would have made it a truly awe inspiring place to be, enough to topple Oxbridge itself possibly. Though it is very good just as it is. The city itself is kind of dirty and ridden with crime, but that is true of London and all big cities. Oxford and Cambridge certainly have a darker side a mile or two from the university areas.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by JennyB93
I think Bath is one of the best-looking cities... Can't wait to go there in September!

Me too! What are you studying?
Reply 28
Original post by Changing Skies

Kind of odd you have chosen Liverpool ahead of Durham, not that Liverpool is not a very good uni, it is, but Durham is just a bit better generally. Liverpool is famous for offering the triple crown subjects of Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science, as with Bristol.
Original post by Mansun
Kind of odd you have chosen Liverpool ahead of Durham, not that Liverpool is not a very good uni, it is, but Durham is just a bit better generally. Liverpool is famous for offering the triple crown subjects of Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science, as with Bristol.

When I chose my firm and insurance, Liverpool's course was much better in terms of my interests. However I've changed my course now and Durham don't offer it so it wouldn't have been an option anyway if I had applied for the right subject in the first place :tongue: plus I got allocated to a college I didn't want :redface: I know where you're coming from though, people think I'm stupid for it :tongue: true true!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
When I chose my firm and insurance, Liverpool's course was much better in terms of my interests. However I've changed my course now and Durham don't offer it so it wouldn't have been an option anyway if I had applied for the right subject in the first place :tongue: plus I got allocated to a college I didn't want :redface: I know where you're coming from though, people think I'm stupid for it :tongue: true true!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless the course itself means the world to you, I would still choose Durham if you get the grades. Durham is seen as a top 10 university from employers, Liverpool a top 20-25. I graduated from Nottingham nearly 10 years ago, so I have learned from experience what universities give you an edge in a competitive job market. E.g. students from middle class backgrounds flock to Exeter if they get rejected by Oxbridge, but in reality the top employers (investment banks, Law firms etc) don't have Exeter down as target university. Though most people don't go into those kinds of fields, and most employers don't care that much where you studied.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
Unless the course itself means the world to you, I would still choose Durham if you get the grades. Durham is seen as a top 10 university from employers, Liverpool a top 20-25. I graduated from Nottingham nearly 10 years ago, so I have learned from experience what universities give you an edge in a competitive job market.

I wouldn't have been as happy there though :redface: and as I said, they don't offer my course so it's irrelevant now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I wouldn't have been as happy there though :redface: and as I said, they don't offer my course so it's irrelevant now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't they offer you another course? I was after Medicine at Nottingham, didn't get the grades, so they offered Biochemistry? That is what I majored in.
Original post by Mansun
Can't they offer you another course? I was after Medicine at Nottingham, didn't get the grades, so they offered Biochemistry? That is what I majored in.

But I want to do Biology and History, nothing else :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why don't you have a look on their prospectus or go through clearing and find the course that interests you or perhaps look into extended degrees

Nightworld1066
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
But I want to do Biology and History, nothing else :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just keep the option of Durham open, it is too good a University to overlook for Liverpool to be frank, and 10 years down the line you WILL wish you chose Durham. I'm not your mother though, do what you like.

The thread was about University buildings, and Durham certainly has a few of those. Liverpool too to some extent.
Greenwich is lovely, that being said i'm not one for old buildings.
I like modern looking buildings, when i'm around older buildings i get pretty depressed :stupido3::blushing:
Reply 37
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Greenwich is lovely, that being said i'm not one for old buildings.
I like modern looking buildings, when i'm around older buildings i get pretty depressed :stupido3::blushing:

Greenwich is one of the nicest areas in the country bar none.
Reply 38
[video="youtube;2jAbWws842E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAbWws842E[/video]

Enjoy University Park's Trent Building, it looks amazing from the air! Nottingham has a crown jewel there.
Greenwich, Durham, Edinburgh, Cambridge, UCL. KCL also has some nice buildings, but the Waterloo campus is dreadful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending