The Student Room Group

Ask an A-Level Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gunni098
I had a look at the sixth form I am applying to and he exam board is OCR :frown: ,the topics are different to yours but thanks for giving me an insight anyway! It was helpful in case my application messes up I have a back up plan for another sixth form with the edexcel exam board! And would you say it is somewhat similar writing essays with a technique being similar to GCSE with what you said? And yes I done painstaking hours of research in some topics which limited it down to the option choice of history/French/physics and thank you for the information :smile: (what I think would also help me is if I post a thread too!)

I'm glad I could help :tongue:
I guess A level is similar to GCSE through the exam requiring you to look at sources - I don't know how OCR would correlate with gcses though
Original post by girlygiggle
I'm glad I could help :tongue:
I guess A level is similar to GCSE through the exam requiring you to look at sources - I don't know how OCR would correlate with gcses though

Ah okay and I find history exams atm a piece of piss its like ridiculously easy xD especially when it comes to sources :biggrin:
I can't remember the exact names for the topics we did at AS, but I do remember learning about suffragettes and the change in women's votes and status, and mao and stalin, if that means anything?

At A2, I did Option B for Unit 3 (Politics, Protest and Revolution).

For history, just make sure you link back to the question at the end of every paragraph (make it easy for the examiner to spot), give a balanced conclusion and make sure you put lots of evidence in your answers. Write lots of practice essays too! :smile:

I have the exact same units (different in A2 though!). Thank you so much :biggrin:
x

The topic is called 'Stalin's Russia' at my school, think it must have been the same for you! :smile:
Hi! I've just got a quick question; I was looking at the bio content and it looks like so much :frown: do you have any memory/revision techniques that you used to help memorise everything? (The exam board we're with is OCR)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J C
Thats good because I struggle more with chemistry, is the maths part of chemistry very difficult?

It is a little challenging but once you grasp how to do it you will not forget
Original post by barneyyy
what are your tips for studying and in-class working throughout the year?
Anything in particular I should do in class, or buy?
Any tips for organisation or techniques to keep things fresh?

When homework is set I would suggest doing it asap, as this means it is likely to be of better quality and you have the time to ask teachers if you need help. Also, don't rush any piece of work, as it may contain some vital information that you need for the exam. I would also suggest researching beyond the homework, as this will help you to stand out in the exam.

As for what you should buy, make sure that you have a range of revision guides. Even if a revision guide only gives you one piece of information it could make the difference between a grade. What subjects are you doing? I may be able to recommend some good books.

To keep things fresh, just don't leave revision until the last minute. Leave yourself enough time to revise everything at least twice. And, even if your teachers don't set you past papers, make sure you do practice papers regularly.

Hope this helped, let me know if anything needs clarifying :smile:
Original post by Gorwell
The topic is called 'Stalin's Russia' at my school, think it must have been the same for you! :smile:

Yes, that must have been it :smile:
Original post by Mini-Minion
Hi! I've just got a quick question; I was looking at the bio content and it looks like so much :frown: do you have any memory/revision techniques that you used to help memorise everything? (The exam board we're with is OCR)

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a lot to remember in biology, but no way near as much as in history and geography. To help in remembering all the key terms, maybe create a glossary. Also, make sure you ask your teachers as soon as you don't understand something. I would purchase the CGP revision guide as it summarises everything nicely and is much less complicated than the normal textbooks.

Nice username btw :smile:
Reply 29
When homework is set I would suggest doing it asap, as this means it is likely to be of better quality and you have the time to ask teachers if you need help. Also, don't rush any piece of work, as it may contain some vital information that you need for the exam. I would also suggest researching beyond the homework, as this will help you to stand out in the exam.

As for what you should buy, make sure that you have a range of revision guides. Even if a revision guide only gives you one piece of information it could make the difference between a grade. What subjects are you doing? I may be able to recommend some good books.

To keep things fresh, just don't leave revision until the last minute. Leave yourself enough time to revise everything at least twice. And, even if your teachers don't set you past papers, make sure you do practice papers regularly.

Hope this helped, let me know if anything needs clarifying :smile:

I'm doing Chemistry, History, French and Economics, but I'm also hoping to study Government and Politics outside school :smile:

(I want to do a gov't and history degree but my school can't schedule gov't and politics a level with my others so I can't do it in school)
How did you decide what subject to drop?

Where you orginally from your sixth form or were you an external student? How was your first year? I keep hearing things that it's extremly hard....I'm a external student at the 6th form i want to goto...was so shy at my taster day...fourtanetly I made a few wisecracks and jokes here and there and hey presto I got a few smiles.Also it slightly helped there was this excesively curious american girl...she seemed cool but she talked alot and was described as "fiesty" but she seems a nice laugh.I'll make sure to make friends with her(hopefully) if she chooses to come to that sixth form.I think she's not from the UK orginaliy since her accent is strong...any ideas how I can make friends with her? As for the other girls i just tricked all of them and pretended I was french? good move or bad? I got a few laughs from them too. Sorry for babbling on...and on...

Also did you take up an enrichment programme activity,if so what was it and how did you manage to juggle it with your A-levels?
There is a lot to remember in biology, but no way near as much as in history and geography. To help in remembering all the key terms, maybe create a glossary. Also, make sure you ask your teachers as soon as you don't understand something. I would purchase the CGP revision guide as it summarises everything nicely and is much less complicated than the normal textbooks.

Nice username btw :smile:

Hahaha thanks :P inspired by my love of Despicable Me 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

The AS subjects I took were: Biology, Geography, History, Psychology, Critical Thinking
The A2 subjects I took were: Geography (EDEXCEL) , History (EDEXCEL), Psychology (AQA A)

how much of a difference is there in difficulty between AS and A2 History?
Hello,

I have just finished my A-Levels.
I would be happy to answer any questions you have about a-levels, revision, tips, specific subject questions and sixth form/college life.

The AS subjects I took were: Biology, Geography, History, Psychology, Critical Thinking
The A2 subjects I took were: Geography (EDEXCEL) , History (EDEXCEL), Psychology (AQA A)

Hi wanted to ask that you know on the enrollment day for college/sixthform..is it only for the people who have applied and got placemnets already??
I'm doing Chemistry, History, French and Economics, but I'm also hoping to study Government and Politics outside school :smile:

(I want to do a gov't and history degree but my school can't schedule gov't and politics a level with my others so I can't do it in school)

I have to ask, if you know you want to go into politics/history then why are you doing Chemistry A-level?
Hello,

I'm going to be studying Law, Psychology and English Language A Level (AQA).

I was just wondering what I could do to prepare for A Levels either in general and/or for these particular subjects.

Reply 36
Original post by NikolaT
I have to ask, if you know you want to go into politics/history then why are you doing Chemistry A-level?

It looks really good as a core subject, it's easy and I'm good at it!

Are you doing edexcel history?
Original post by scrawlx101
How did you decide what subject to drop?

Where you orginally from your sixth form or were you an external student? How was your first year? I keep hearing things that it's extremly hard....I'm a external student at the 6th form i want to goto...was so shy at my taster day...fourtanetly I made a few wisecracks and jokes here and there and hey presto I got a few smiles.Also it slightly helped there was this excesively curious american girl...she seemed cool but she talked alot and was described as "fiesty" but she seems a nice laugh.I'll make sure to make friends with her(hopefully) if she chooses to come to that sixth form.I think she's not from the UK orginaliy since her accent is strong...any ideas how I can make friends with her? As for the other girls i just tricked all of them and pretended I was french? good move or bad? I got a few laughs from them too. Sorry for babbling on...and on...

Also did you take up an enrichment programme activity,if so what was it and how did you manage to juggle it with your A-levels?

Hello there :smile:

I dropped biology because it was lowest grade at AS and it was the subject I was least interested in. I also dropped critical thinking as my sixth form don't offer it at A2 (I would have dropped it anyway).

I went to the sixth form that was attached to my secondary school so I already knew quite a few people, but I still wanted to meet some new people. So, don't worry! If you're an external student people will be willing to talk to you. Everyone needs new friends now and again :smile: Just say "hi" to the person sitting next to you in assembly or in a lesson and I am sure you'll make some friends in no time at all.
Maybe pretending you were French wasn't the best idea, but they might have found it amusing:giggle: or they might not remember so you'll be fine anyway.

As for enrichment activities, I assume you mean extra-curricular activities? If so, I was a member of the choir and we rehearsed at lunch once a week. It didn't really affect my a-levels, but when choosing activities, remember to prioritise your a-levels - no one will mind if you miss a session .

Good luck for sixth form, let me know if you need anything else :smile:
Original post by 29Bilal96
how much of a difference is there in difficulty between AS and A2 History?

I assume you are thinking of taking/are taking edexcel history too? as the exam boards can vary on what they offer in terms of the specification.

It all depends on what options you pick, but I would say that there is not really much difference in difficulty between the two.
For example, at both AS and A2, you have to analyse sources and use them in your answer.
Also, the questions are worth a similar number of marks.
One of the only things that makes A2 more tricky than AS is the coursework (Unit 4). It requires you to write 2 parts adding up to no more than 4,000 words and you have to do a lot of research beforehand.
And obviously, the topics will be different - you can't build on what you've already learnt (except for part of the technique).

But if you enjoyed history at gcse - take it for A level because no matter how hard a subject is, if you like it, you are more likely to do well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest