The Student Room Group

Driving lessons AND A Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joeymr
Honestly just download the DVSA theory app (search it on the app store if you have an iPhone) it costs like £4 but its so worth it! Has practice tests, questions, highway code and all the hazard perception stuff you'll need :smile: I just went on it for like 30 minutes a day for two weeks and I passed first time!

Haha thanks :colondollar: good luck!

Righteo, thank you!
Are there any other ways I could revise for the hazard perception part though? As I don't actually have a smart phone right now (my Samsung is pretty much broken) and am using an 'AA Theory Test and The Highway Code' book, but of course, that can't show me videos yet! ... damn 21st century technology! :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by DanMargetts
Righteo, thank you!
Are there any other ways I could revise for the hazard perception part though? As I don't actually have a smart phone right now (my Samsung is pretty much broken) and am using an 'AA Theory Test and The Highway Code' book, but of course, that can't show me videos yet! ... damn 21st century technology! :wink:

Some of my mates used these sorts of things for HP:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hazard%20perception&sprefix=hazar%2Caps%2C312

Tbh HP doesn't really need a lot of practice, you just have to get used to clicking at the right time (most irritating thing on the planet when you first start :rolleyes:)

:smile:
Original post by joeymr
Some of my mates used these sorts of things for HP:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hazard%20perception&sprefix=hazar%2Caps%2C312

Tbh HP doesn't really need a lot of practice, you just have to get used to clicking at the right time (most irritating thing on the planet when you first start :rolleyes:)

:smile:

Thank you once again! :biggrin:

Hahahah, ohh, I can't wait :tongue:
Original post by DanMargetts
Okay, thank you VERY much, I'm really grateful!

I do have 1 more question: would you recommend me starting the lessons in September (when I turn 17), wait a bit until I;m in the 'swing of things' with A Levels, or wait until the summer between AS and A Levels?

Thanks again! :biggrin:

I'd start as soon as you could. That way you should be taking the practical test February-April time just before exams get under way and you'll have it sorted already.
A lot of people did it in their 1st year, but more did it in their 2nd year as they found it more manageable with only doing 3 subjects.

Personally, I couldn't fit the balance in with doing English Literature, Philosophy and Ethics, English Language, History and General Studies (essay for GE each week). On top of being a tutor too. I just found it impossible to find time. So I gave it up after about 25 lessons because they were too inconsistent so the pace of my progression was just going far too slow.

I would only recommend driving if you plan on getting a car, otherwise it could be argued to be a waste of money. I know half the people during the course of A-levels who did their tests, got a car/shared their parents or older siblings, straight after they passed. However, I couldn't afford a car, not until at least when I've finished uni and actually start earning. So I think I shall start when I'm at uni or at some point.

But for me, driving wasn't for me as I found it VERY stressful and I was really tired after 1 hour sessions. Don't be sucked into the pressure of driving is cool, etc etc. It's fun to bond over it with friends and stuff. But how useful will it be when you pass, and then don't end up getting a car after 3 years?

That's my personal experience.

PS: I had to work for my money, so all the money I did get from my job went on driving, which I thought was a waste. I'm not stuck up and when I click my fingers, my parents pay for it. I grew up the old fashioned way. I despise parents who give their child everything, without making them work for it. "Can I get a car if I get BBBB at AS?" "yeah sure thing!" "can you pay for the WHOLE of my 3 years at uni because I'm an only child?" "yeah sure thing!". What absolute *******s. In life, things don't come free, the sooner some teenagers realise this, the better. RANT over.
Original post by Fuenciado
I'd start as soon as you could. That way you should be taking the practical test February-April time just before exams get under way and you'll have it sorted already.

Okay, thank you very much :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest