The Student Room Group

The SAT II and ACT Tests & US Applications

I would like a recommendation. I want to study History at an American or Canadian College if not a British University and so naturally, I am sitting the SAT/ACT Exams. I am studying History, English Literature, Biology and Philosophy at AS Level.

I was thinking, what SAT II's should I sit? I may try World History and Biology because I really didn't like the look of the Literature papers. However, I have never studied "world history" as such. So this is going to be tricky however, if I want to do History, it'd be a good idea to show them what I can do in History, right?

Also, as I am a UK student, some tests aren't available on some dates. When do you advise sitting the papers? After I have finished AS History and Biology or before? Baring in mind that I do NOT want to be burdened with these in my exam term for my AS Levels which is around June time.

Furthermore, when these tests are completed what happens in terms of sending off results and receiving results and such? Finally, when should you begin the application process to these universities for normal and early entry?

I'm considering Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, UCLA, Amherst and Chicago and possibly Columbia or New York university. For Canada, just McGill and Toronto.

Thanks!
Original post by JayJay-C19
I would like a recommendation. I want to study History at an American or Canadian College if not a British University and so naturally, I am sitting the SAT/ACT Exams. I am studying History, English Literature, Biology and Philosophy at AS Level.

I was thinking, what SAT II's should I sit? I may try World History and Biology because I really didn't like the look of the Literature papers. However, I have never studied "world history" as such. So this is going to be tricky however, if I want to do History, it'd be a good idea to show them what I can do in History, right?

Also, as I am a UK student, some tests aren't available on some dates. When do you advise sitting the papers? After I have finished AS History and Biology or before? Baring in mind that I do NOT want to be burdened with these in my exam term for my AS Levels which is around June time.

Furthermore, when these tests are completed what happens in terms of sending off results and receiving results and such? Finally, when should you begin the application process to these universities for normal and early entry?

I'm considering Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, UCLA, Amherst and Chicago and possibly Columbia or New York university. For Canada, just McGill and Toronto.

Thanks!

Before applying get your SAT/ACT score back first. This is the MOST important factor of all. if you score 2250+ or 33, then all the Unis you have listed would CONSIDER you.
Reply 2
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Before applying get your SAT/ACT score back first. This is the MOST important factor of all. if you score 2250+ or 33, then all the Unis you have listed would CONSIDER you.

Thanks. Do you have any advise for the other questions?
Thanks. Do you have any advise for the other questions?

What's your module for history A level?
Test dates: http://sat.collegeboard.org/register/sat-international-dates

I recommend you do them between the Sept-October time frame as you should have studies the SAT2 test by then. Start at August, 3-5 months should be enough for sat2s.

As for SATs/ACT, do them around Nov-dec Are you going for early decision programs?

The dates above I assume are regular decisions.

For early its: November 1
For regular: Jan 1
These dates are for harvard, but all unis have around the same dates.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm not sure about this but I read it on some Harvard book (?) They were very impressed with this guy who had like 8 SAT II ( mostly 800's ) and apparently if you try a subject you haven't normally studied they might be happily surprised ... also keep in mind that most ivies you listed (& Stanford ) want to see a real passion outside school so once you get the scores that's what makes the difference.
I think there's is also a video on youtube where a Yale admission officer explain the admission process for UK applicants , and you should definitely get the Michel Hernandez book about admission - A is for Admission I think - that is helpful

Thanks!

Ask people over at CC, they can do much more than us and give more advice than TSR.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com
Original post by CAROLAL1
I'm not sure about this but I read it on some Harvard book (?) They were very impressed with this guy who had like 8 SAT II ( mostly 800's ) and apparently if you try a subject you haven't normally studied they might be happily surprised ... also keep in mind that most ivies you listed (& Stanford ) want to see a real passion outside school so once you get the scores that's what makes the difference.
I think there's is also a video on youtube where a Yale admission officer explain the admission process for UK applicants , and you should definitely get the Michel Hernandez book about admission - A is for Admission I think - that is helpful

Those essays...
Reply 8
Those essays...

Those essays are just terrible D: so many
Those essays are just terrible D: so many

You want to read mine?
You want to read mine?

Sure :biggrin: Where are you applying at ?
Reply 11
What's your module for history A level?

Module? Well, I'm doing America and Vietnam for one module and the second hasn't been told to me yet as it was changed late.
Reply 12
Test dates: http://sat.collegeboard.org/register/sat-international-dates

I recommend you do them between the Sept-October time frame as you should have studies the SAT2 test by then. Start at August, 3-5 months should be enough for sat2s.

As for SATs/ACT, do them around Nov-dec Are you going for early decision programs?

The dates above I assume are regular decisions.

For early its: November 1
For regular: Jan 1
These dates are for harvard, but all unis have around the same dates.

Of my AS or A2 Year?
Reply 13

Great; thank you!
Module? Well, I'm doing America and Vietnam for one module and the second hasn't been told to me yet as it was changed late.

Do USH, I think you can manage it.
Reply 15
Do USH, I think you can manage it.

I shall. Would you possibly PM me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending