The Student Room Group

Foundation year in engineering

Hey guys,
Im going into uni soon and I was wondering if anyone's done the foundation course in engineering and how they found it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by SolidSnake1510
Hey guys,
Im going into uni soon and I was wondering if anyone's done the foundation course in engineering and how they found it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was okay when I did it, what do you want to know specifically? ask away :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Basically what the course focues on and is it a good stepping stool for other engineering courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also I didnt do a-level maths or physics, will I struggle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which university are you going to? I'm doing the foundation year at Swansea University and there's a list of all the modules we'll be doing online here:

https://intranet.swan.ac.uk/catalogue/default.asp?type=modbyprog&dept=EGSC&prog=FMECS&prgc=BEHE4FX&ayr=14/15&progname=Mechanical+Engineering+Single+%28F%29&detailOnly=false

The foundation year is year 0. I imagine the content is fairly similar across the universities so it could give you a general idea of what to expect.
Which uni? They can be quite different. But in general you'll study maths and general engineering into some first year undergrad topics. If you haven't done much maths you'll get extra help to get you to the same point as those who have, however in my experience those who didn't do maths did tend to struggle a bit more.
Hopefully manchester mate:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helloworld_95
Which uni? They can be quite different. But in general you'll study maths and general engineering into some first year undergrad topics. If you haven't done much maths you'll get extra help to get you to the same point as those who have, however in my experience those who didn't do maths did tend to struggle a bit more.

Manchester hopefully! How does the foundation year work, like is there a exam at the end of the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manchester hopefully! How does the foundation year work, like is there a exam at the end of the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do several different modules and you'll probably have an exam for most modules at the end of semester one (could be anywhere from December to February) and then again at the end of semester two (May or June probably)
Reply 9
Basically what the course focues on and is it a good stepping stool for other engineering courses?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It differs from university to university but you will cover basic engineering science and maths which you will you be using and expanding on come year 1. The purpose of the engineering foundation is to place emphasis on the application of the science and maths you learn to engineering so it does prepare you really well for the course you just have to work hard and take it seriously (lot's of people skipped lectures and ended up failing so try not to miss any).

Each module you do will have a coursework component and an exam component. At my uni most modules were 80% exam 20% coursework, with the odd one or two modules that were 70/30 or 60/40 (exam/cwk ratio). As to exams and stuff that just depends on the university but at mine i had all my 6 exams at the end of the year.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
How did you find the exams? My Access course was purely coursework so I'm not sure what to expect with the exams.
Reply 11
Original post by Frankston
How did you find the exams? My Access course was purely coursework so I'm not sure what to expect with the exams.

I'm assuming you directed this question at me? :colondollar:

The exams were hard if you didn't study much as there was quite a lot of content you had to actually understand and you couldn't pass by just memorising stuff.

If you put in the work though you'll be fine :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Also I didnt do a-level maths or physics, will I struggle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing a bit of maths during this holiday would help, c1 atleast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest