The Student Room Group

I'm a 2:2 graduate I can't even get minimum wage jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonymouspie227
Was it qualifying? Did you not get any TC's?

1. Yes.
2. No. I have never applied to any TC's. Grew disillusioned with the legal profession in third year and did not want to have anything to do with legal academia or the legal profession anymore. I realised during third year that I hated the people who liked being involved in the legal world and would rather do anything but involve myself in a legal career.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ben_Dover
What? And a law degree isn't challenging?

I think it's your attitude that's preventing you from getting a job. You're sitting on your high horse expecting a job simply because you got a degree in computer science....you got crappy honours. Perhaps it's time you accept your worthless degree and work for free to get experience

This. This x1000000
I recently graduated with a 2.1 in Maths and Economics and I'm open to everything right now. I already had a couple of summer jobs and ECs but I am not expecting to walk into a £25k+ city job straight away.
Original post by Juichiro
I think many people misunderstand the word "computer science". Computer science is an abstract subject that draws heavily from maths and formal logic in order to investigate problem solving. Computer programming (and not computer science) is a better word and it is this what kids might be learning from now on. And yes, you could say that computer programming is an element of IT (where IT is an incredibly loose term).

Programming is just a tool.

That goes hand in hand with the theoretical aspects of CS. For example, there is a lot of maths in functional programming - haskell etc which puts the theory into practice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fat_hobbit
That is really easy to do.

CREATE DATABASE dbname;

You don't need 3 years to learn it. 1 hour more like.

TBH I don't know what happens in an IT degree, but it sounds like a waste of time from what you wrote.

I should point out I have only done IT at GCSE. It was incredibly boring...

I don't know what on would do on a IT degree, or if they exist for that matter.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I should point out I have only done IT at GCSE. It was incredibly boring...

Yeah, crap subject. Has little relevance to what goes on.
Original post by anonymouspie227
Mate, you can get a job at McDonald's!!!
I know someone who was a bin man before getting into a very well paying, well respected field.
I don't know how they did it, but they did.

Hey i know people who sent out 100's of job applications before getting 1 interview, which he landed and earns a lot. He was even on benefits because he had no money.

So just keep trying op, it will happen.

It is simple really for these people. Get a job (any job, binman, mcdonalds, cleaner etc) that pays for a living and **** what everyone else thinks. Work diligently on your own and with a close circle you can trust, with a vision of what you want to ultimately achieve. Your dreams will be achieved, your troubles a figment of the past. Key though, is to just ignore as much as the world as you can and work your arse off taking organized steps to get there.

No one wants you to do well. People want you to fail. Use what people are useful to you. Keep those loyal to you close. **** everyone else and do what you must to achieve your dreams.
Original post by Tom_Ford
It is simple really for these people. Get a job (any job, binman, mcdonalds, cleaner etc) that pays for a living and **** what everyone else thinks. Work diligently on your own and with a close circle you can trust, with a vision of what you want to ultimately achieve. Your dreams will be achieved, your troubles a figment of the past. Key though, is to just ignore as much as the world as you can and work your arse off taking organized steps to get there.

No one wants you to do well. People want you to fail. Use what people are useful to you. Keep those loyal to you close. **** everyone else and do what you must to achieve your dreams.

Very true but at the same there are those that are in your inner circle holding you back. You need to cut them out like family members.

Binmen actually get paid quite well. Plus you get to ride on the back of the bin truck :smile:

I'm also currently applying for anything at the mo. I even applied for some phone marketing thing. I'm not sure why, I'm really bad at using phones.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by loloway
This. This x1000000
I recently graduated with a 2.1 in Maths and Economics and I'm open to everything right now. I already had a couple of summer jobs and ECs but I am not expecting to walk into a £25k+ city job straight away.

Precisely....its a competitive market but some people are expecting a job to be handed to them on a plate simply because they have a degree. Any tom dick and Harry can get a degree....you have to stand out amongst applicants to get a job
Original post by SloaneRanger
Very true but at the same there are those that are in your inner circle holding you back. You need to cut them out like family members.

Yeah, for example, I have cut everyone out from my youth in my family apart from my parents. They did not want me to do well, they are competition, so why would I keep them around? Sure, there is help when there is mutual benefit, but it is all very surface level, very superficial. I just don't see why Asian people (particularly say, the Chinese, British upper/middle class) like to mentally masturbate over how well their kids are doing and keep their relatives/'friends' around purely for this reason... to nose in on each other's progress and compete. There is no real love there, no loyalty. There comes a point when you need to distance yourself from these people, like I did long ago at 17-18. Not completely burn the bridge but just really distance yourself.

The vast vast vast majority of people are not going to really be supportive or want the best for you. Unless they are going to give you material benefit (i.e. in the professional/financial capacity) then they do not need to be kept around.

These are all distractions. The less you try to prove yourself to others and the more you actually work as hard as you can on whatever it is you want to achieve, the better you will do in life. Whether you want to have a great fitness model body, get to senior roles in big corps etc etc... you have to be prepared to do the dirty work which people will sneer over. E.g. People who go to the gym to get great fitness model bodies take years and years of hard work with health food diets + dietary drinks like shakes which the average everyday man and woman would sneer at. Yet, what they achieve after years of their work can only be described as something to be respected as a physique version of art.
Same with a career, people may sneer at the office boy doing the trainee graduate photocopying... but a few years later he could be vice president or something like that.
The constant is, that people are a distraction and their views towards what you want to achieve are rarely benign. It goes as follows:
they are either competition, or they are your boss. So, in the professional environment, very very rarely do you have any real friends. They are all tools or roadblocks to your success. With this in mind, you do what you must within legal means. **** ethics, you do what you must to get ahead and this applies to the op too.

Overall, you have got to have a vision first though, not confuse yourself over where you wanted to go in life like I did, I chose my degree at 17 when i was a lot younger than now, 6 years ago, because of familial pressure on what seemed the most prestigious and until recently did not know what I really wanted to do with my career. You have to ask, what do YOU want to do?

Anecdotes to my approach? I have several. My cousin took the drastic measure of cutting off everyone who was a negative/non-useful voice for example and he became a partner of a Law firm called Eversheds. Mental masturbation is not useful, if people thought logically with a plan and refrained from seeking advice from unscrupulous strangers... they would get a lot farer. The answer is not rocket science, for a start if they used a search button they would get their answers.

Edit: funny story regarding my cousin. People did not even know what university he went to. Because, quite simply, he did not feel they needed to know. Same goes for his brother who did Economics at LSE. Very much a showoff degree to such families, but he never told anyone. No one even knew he lived in London. It is the way to go imo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cole-slaw
Wait.

what. the. ****.

You're presumably about 21 and you've NEVER had a job?

Jesus christ, be glad they'll let you work for free. Most people your age will have been in consistent employment for the past 5 years.

I had probably done about 10-12 different jobs by the time I finished uni and could have got a glowing reference off any one of them.

You clearly don't realise it's not particularly rare for people who are at or have recently graduated from university to never have had a job. I am going into my third year at university and have never had a job besides a paper round when I was younger. I haven't needed to. My cousin's FIRST ever job was working at Goldman Sachs (pretty much a £50k salary straight away in front office). This shows that it is not necessary to have had formal employment to get a good job. To be quite frank, having worked in a coffee shop is unlikely to have any direct relevance to what is needed for most graduate jobs.
Original post by stefl14
You clearly don't realise it's not particularly rare for people who are at or have recently graduated from university to never have had a job. I am going into my third year at university and have never had a job besides a paper round when I was younger. I haven't needed to. My cousin's FIRST ever job was working at Goldman Sachs (pretty much a £50k salary straight away in front office). This shows that it is not necessary to have had formal employment to get a good job. To be quite frank, having worked in a coffee shop is unlikely to have any direct relevance to what is needed for most graduate jobs.

Indeed. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that networking and the ability to sell the benefits of hiring you are key. All these online forms to me seem to be like spam to these companies. For all we know they could be dumping half of them straight into the spam folder. I mean, think about it, a large portion of jobs are not even advertised...
Yeah, for example, I have cut everyone out from my youth in my family apart from my parents. They did not want me to do well, they are competition, so why would I keep them around? Sure, there is help when there is mutual benefit, but it is all very surface level, very superficial. I just don't see why Asian people (particularly say, the Chinese, British upper/middle class) like to mentally masturbate over how well their kids are doing and keep their relatives/'friends' around purely for this reason... to nose in on each other's progress and compete. There is no real love there, no loyalty. There comes a point when you need to distance yourself from these people, like I did long ago at 17-18. Not completely burn the bridge but just really distance yourself.

The vast vast vast majority of people are not going to really be supportive or want the best for you. Unless they are going to give you material benefit (i.e. in the professional/financial capacity) then they do not need to be kept around.

These are all distractions. The less you try to prove yourself to others and the more you actually work as hard as you can on whatever it is you want to achieve, the better you will do in life. Whether you want to have a great fitness model body, get to senior roles in big corps etc etc... you have to be prepared to do the dirty work which people will sneer over. E.g. People who go to the gym to get great fitness model bodies take years and years of hard work with health food diets + dietary drinks like shakes which the average everyday man and woman would sneer at. Yet, what they achieve after years of their work can only be described as something to be respected as a physique version of art.
Same with a career, people may sneer at the office boy doing the trainee graduate photocopying... but a few years later he could be vice president or something like that.
The constant is, that people are a distraction and their views towards what you want to achieve are rarely benign. It goes as follows:
they are either competition, or they are your boss. So, in the professional environment, very very rarely do you have any real friends. They are all tools or roadblocks to your success. With this in mind, you do what you must within legal means. **** ethics, you do what you must to get ahead and this applies to the op too.

Overall, you have got to have a vision first though, not confuse yourself over where you wanted to go in life like I did, I chose my degree at 17 when i was a lot younger than now, 6 years ago, because of familial pressure on what seemed the most prestigious and until recently did not know what I really wanted to do with my career. You have to ask, what do YOU want to do?

Anecdotes to my approach? I have several. My cousin took the drastic measure of cutting off everyone who was a negative/non-useful voice for example and he became a partner of a Law firm called Eversheds. Mental masturbation is not useful, if people thought logically with a plan and refrained from seeking advice from unscrupulous strangers... they would get a lot farer. The answer is not rocket science, for a start if they used a search button they would get their answers.

Edit: funny story regarding my cousin. People did not even know what university he went to. Because, quite simply, he did not feel they needed to know. Same goes for his brother who did Economics at LSE. Very much a showoff degree to such families, but he never told anyone. No one even knew he lived in London. It is the way to go imo.

Only an idiot hasn't heard of Eversheds, but yeah Fathobbits hate is transference of his hate for his family. Some people are reluctant to admit why they have failed in particular area and aren't willing to rectify it. People hold you back, like i will openly admit mine do for sure. Eliminating negative people that have no history of success helps. If they haven't been there themselves how can they expect to influence you in a positive way. Btw give it time you will get the where you want to be. You know what it takes to achieve something.
Reply 153
It's not just graduates that are having difficulties. It's incredibly difficult to find any job in general. I've been applying to every vacant part-time retail, warehouse and IT job, with no success, for over a month now. People that have never worked before aren't given a chance for even the most menial of jobs, and it's frankly depressing.
Indeed. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that networking and the ability to sell the benefits of hiring you are key. All these online forms to me seem to be like spam to these companies. For all we know they could be dumping half of them straight into the spam folder. I mean, think about it, a large portion of jobs are not even advertised...

That is so true, also you need to contact decision makers, they can even create a role if they like you.

Many hire internally.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Binmen actually get paid quite well. Plus you get to ride on the back of the bin truck :smile:

I'm also currently applying for anything at the mo. I even applied for some phone marketing thing. I'm not sure why, I'm really bad at using phones.

They are paid well because its an indemnified risk to do the job. Health problems can arise as a result of the job itself.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Only an idiot hasn't heard of Eversheds, but yeah Fathobbits hate is transference of his hate for his family. Some people are reluctant to admit why they have failed in particular area and aren't willing to rectify it. People hold you back, like i will openly admit mine do for sure. Eliminating negative people that have no history of success helps. If they haven't been there themselves how can they expect to influence you in a positive way. Btw give it time you will get the where you want to be. You know what it takes to achieve something.

Lol

I like how you paint me as directionless that gives poor advice/misinformation.
Many hire internally.

He was implying friends hire friends or people or headhunt.
Lol

I like how you paint me as directionless that gives poor advice/misinformation.

I think you give some good advice. But at the same time your talking about great grades, great unis amd your hate for those that get them. But ultimately your not willing to place blame on the decision makers that ruined your life. People have to face the consequences for their actions. Like Tom Ford on here was saying, eliminating those people is a way of moving forward rather then regressing. Why hate the system when you can beat it. Seeing a family member did why not confront them about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending